Any taxidermist charging over $200 per deer head is a SCAM ARTIST !!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2014, 09:32:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1617765 Posts in 191200 Topics by 43220 Members
Latest Member: leapoffaithtaxidermy
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Deer and Gameheads  |  Topic: Any taxidermist charging over $200 per deer head is a SCAM ARTIST !! « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21 Print
Author Topic: Any taxidermist charging over $200 per deer head is a SCAM ARTIST !!  (Read 28822 times)
93ford

« Reply #150 on: October 16, 2011, 06:32:39 PM »

Wait, is he charging $300 per deer?  I thought he said anyone charging over $200 is a scam artist.  Maybe I'm missing something, but is he calling himself a scam artist?

I'm not the one who made this statement.  * originally said it.

You need to re read some posts, I never said that, I would have never been that nice so again you insult me by your presence here.
And none of the people "in your area" will ever work for more than minimum wage in this business.....You give the taxidermy business a bad name.
and just to let you know, service and quality makes you money NOT NUMBERS of deer taken in....LOL

I stand corrected.  I just looked back and seen that Heath made the original comment, but you seem to agree with him. 
Trappersteph
Gold Member

now you can have it...

« Reply #151 on: October 16, 2011, 06:38:32 PM »

Rather have 25 deer at 600.00 than 50 at 300.00= less overall work to do, less cost of materials, make same amount of money. Oh I'm sorry the 600.00 taxidermist is a scam artist.

NO, the 600.00 taxidermist is a BUSINESS PERSON! And 99% likely to be an ARTIST, and I don't mean like modern art, but think Rennaisance and classical. Was DaVinci a scam artist?

I went to an art school, I dunno, maybe I am an artist? Since as young as I can recall my life was art and animals. I do taxidermy because I love the art, but heck if I am going to be a starving artist. Why do plumbers get to make more money than taxidermists? So what if they deal with chit LOL, we do too- and animal urine and blood and bacteria. Heck, like a veternarian? Hey they make more money than most taxidermists.

Walmart? Are you nuts? Did you steal some forms molds and hire illegal Mexicans to make them? Maybe your mounts are made in China and it's just cheaper that way?

I can understand beginners charging less, I did it too, but as I get better I charge more. I spend much more time on each animal than I did 15 years ago. Why? Details, pickyness, details, ref pics, details, pickyness...
Trappersteph
Gold Member

now you can have it...

« Reply #152 on: October 16, 2011, 06:40:13 PM »

Whoa boy I can see all the scam artists giggling at those pics already...
wildlife 1
Platinum Member

« Reply #153 on: October 16, 2011, 06:54:31 PM »

:-X :-X :-X :-X

Our future is in the youth of today.

Mother Nature creates animals to blend in with Nature.
We Recreate them to blend in with furniture.
Bill Yox
Forum Moderator

« Reply #154 on: October 16, 2011, 07:07:05 PM »

93ford, then I stand corrected. I thought that it was YOU who had made the original statement in fb about how anyone charging more than 200 was scamming people. I did lose track of who was who in all this  exchange.

If you were not the one who had originally started this, then please accept my apology.

Now, if YOU charge $300, while I think thats much too low, I have no real right to bug you about it. My beef was with the person who intentionally called out whomever charged the $200, etc. I dont agree with $300 deerheads either, but I do get the fact that people feel they have to price them according to whats around them, and not to what they feel they are worth. I have always felt that guys doing taxidermy on the side ought to at least charge the going rate, as its premium time away from family that theyre using for that second job for extra money. Again, my comments were aimned at the guy who made the original statement.
Platinum Member

Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

« Reply #155 on: October 16, 2011, 07:09:02 PM »

You know 93 you are dumber than a box of rocks, I know what your waiting for ....but it ain't going to happen
You ain't that bad and you sell yourself short for doing work for so cheap. It's Stupid and you are making excuses, "I won't make any money if I don't get any deer, I'll loose customers,whine whine whine...."
A few days tweeking with a teacher and you could be good, You just know nothing about business and you are screwing this industry
Yep I ripped you hard enough to post some pics, you did it, you got b*lls, not get a spine and charge for your work.
I've seen far worse on this site by charging more and you bring everyone down by doing work cheap.
Full time guys have to make what you make at your REAL JOB and YOU hurt everyone by doing this.
I have clients that send me work from everywhere, and I'd bet some from your backyard.
Your not a bad taxidermists, Just a real stupid dumb businessman and that goes for part time business also.
I guess all us full timers need to get e real job so we can do deer for what you charge cause that pays the bills not taxidermy.

I pressed you for the pics and you should not be doing deer for 300 Forest......
Please think more of yourself and this industry.

I've dealt with you guys for over 39 years and it will never end...
Anyone get the horse picture ready
PLEASE...!!

Liberalism IS a MENTAL ILLNESS !
Debbie C.
Platinum Member

Proud Member-Taxidermy M.A.F.I.A. & Taxinet Clique

« Reply #156 on: October 16, 2011, 07:18:58 PM »

I have to ask Einstein here 93Ford one more question. And since I am not very adept at getting my points across to those with an under 90 I Q here goes.....

If you had NO OTHER job and had to rely on taxidermy  for your income, mounting deer, to live your lifestyle pay your bills enjoy your vacations and family time how much would you charge then. ???????????

Hey Wildlife1 your a scam artist , I only charge $199.95 for that.
  Something isn't adding up  because in one post on his facebook page he says he's a full time taxidermist and in another post he says he has a full time job that makes six figures.  He also said at one point he charges $300 per deer when he earlier said $200.   I think he's just getting caught up in lies and changing his story.   He needs to keep his lies straight.

Just to clear some things up, I never said I charged $200 and I am not on facebook.  Someone else mistakenly (or purposely) stated those things to stir up trouble. 

Chad N Heather Kellett well honestly its not always about the money taxidermy is a hobby job i have a 40 hr a week job my friend i do free mountd for kids who kill their first deer and i only charge 200 for a shoulder mount how bout u seeing the happiness in my customers eyes is more important to me there is more than just money in the work for me
October 4 at 7:43pm Like 2 people

93ford

« Reply #157 on: October 17, 2011, 05:53:58 PM »

93ford, then I stand corrected. I thought that it was YOU who had made the original statement in fb about how anyone charging more than 200 was scamming people. I did lose track of who was who in all this  exchange.

If you were not the one who had originally started this, then please accept my apology.

Now, if YOU charge $300, while I think thats much too low, I have no real right to bug you about it. My beef was with the person who intentionally called out whomever charged the $200, etc. I dont agree with $300 deerheads either, but I do get the fact that people feel they have to price them according to whats around them, and not to what they feel they are worth. I have always felt that guys doing taxidermy on the side ought to at least charge the going rate, as its premium time away from family that theyre using for that second job for extra money. Again, my comments were aimned at the guy who made the original statement.

Thanks Bill.  I appreciate your opinion and the respect with which you stated it.  The bottom line is that I have to find that fine line where I get the number of heads I can handle and the highest price I can charge thereby making the most for my efforts.  That does not make me a scam artist. At the same time, I don't have access to a "teacher" to show me how to be better.  There is no doubt in my mind that I could be better, and honestly, I would like to be but I don't have the resources and/or access right now.  I would love to do half the deer for the same money, but this area will not support it.  I am confident of that though I have read it on here many times where others say differently.   Thanks to all for their input.  Even *.  You just shouldn't be such a hateful person.  What a miserable way to live.  I trully hope you find a happier way to live someday.   
bowerbird
Silver Member

« Reply #158 on: October 17, 2011, 06:31:37 PM »

At the same time, I don't have access to a "teacher" to show me how to be better.  There is no doubt in my mind that I could be better, and honestly, I would like to be but I don't have the resources

Thats why you have to charge more than it costs YOU, so you DO build resources funds to engage professional training and then to afford travelling to shows and seminars.
Whatching  a UK show " The Next Best Thing " all the retailers marketing the products of the  up and coming manufactureres immediately  retailed the shelf price as three times the cost of the manufatureres selling price , so even when they want to dump the stock, "half price sales" is still getting there outlay back.
Many years ago the rule of thumb was, what ever the costs are , multiply it by three, so that one third is cost, one third is for the  tax man, and one third is yours. When you get a tax rebate offset by the material and operating expenses , bonus ,,,
200 dollars cost in a deer head, means its a 600 dollar customer job, then you can afford even to go overseas on training exercises, visiting other taxidermist, museums and eating restaurant meals and drinking fine wine...............
Bill Yox
Forum Moderator

« Reply #159 on: October 17, 2011, 07:08:00 PM »

93ford, when youre confident enough and ready to take that next step, you call me and Ill give you some ideas and some opinion as to how you might make that next move, if you wish. I wont be trying to talk you into one of my classes, just a friendly pep talk with some facts. All I ask in return is that you respect our industry as much as we all do and try to get more for your work. Call me when youre ready to hear my thoughts, if you find it helpful to.
Platinum Member

Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

« Reply #160 on: October 17, 2011, 07:19:38 PM »

LOL , not hateful just frustration trying for 42 years in this business trying to cure stupid, Haven't found out yet there is no cure.
The only reason you can't get more for your deer is because you DON"T ask more.

Liberalism IS a MENTAL ILLNESS !
93ford

« Reply #161 on: October 17, 2011, 07:47:16 PM »

Ok *.  I posted the pics for you like you asked.  Now explain something to me.  If you get all you want at $650 or any given price for that matter, how does a $200 or $300 guy hurt you.  If what you say is true, then after 2 or 3 years of "losing" money, we will be gone anyway and others have said before that they welcome the lowballers because that just means more remounts for them which they make more money on.  I know there are some scammers out there taking money for shoddy work but at least in my area, there are several $300-$360 guys doing good work and some of them are full-time.  The only reason I can see is that the cheaper prices take work away from you.  Is that the only reason for your disdain toward people like me?  I am asking because I want to understand your thinking beyond your hatred.  Others please chime in on this if you would like.  Everything thing in this world revolves around competition and part of that is pricing.  I just don't understand the reasoning that we should all be charging the same price. 
michael p.
Platinum Member

Getting better with age :)

« Reply #162 on: October 17, 2011, 07:58:52 PM »

I'm having new flooring installed in 3 rooms of my house.  I bought the flooring from Home Depot and talked with one of their sub contractors about the installation.I them talked with a local man who has a full time 40 hour a week job and then on the side (Friday, Saturday & Sunday) works on installing peoples flooring.  His estimate was $150 MORE than the full time contractors!!!!!!!!!!!!

I asked him "what makes you more expensive", his answer got him the job.  I'm local, if there is ANY problems in the future I will be here to fix them AND I charge what I need to do the best job, not to get the job.  Deposit is paid and his $150 more expensive job on my house begins Friday.

Never knew floor installers were 10X brighter than most Taxidermists.

93ford, I appreciate your better attitude, but it was YOU, not HEATH CLINE said people charging the higher amount were ripping peope off.

Spent my whole life lookin' back
 Not lookin' ahead to see
 Trying to keep my feet on track
 Doin' what was expected of me
 Kick my shoes off so they can't trace me
 Leave no forwarding address
 Before they all drive me crazy
 And I leave 'em all in a bloody mess
C.C.
Riverdale Taxidermy
Platinum Member

Rocky 6/1/05 - 6/5/08

« Reply #163 on: October 17, 2011, 08:29:49 PM »

I was the one who first said or rather called him Chad the name of the guy who on facebook said 200+ is a scam. I did this since they both said (93ford here and Chad on Facebook) 23 years experience, part time, and I thought Chad on facebook had pictures of fords but it was Chevy plus the timing of posts. 93ford is keeping it cool somewhat that a$$clown on facebook is still at it and if you have not seen his latest posts your in for a treat. Again I don't think they are the same with his denial of it just a coincindence of the years experience and some other issues.

http://anysoldier.com/ click here and send some packages to our military personel. WARNING Doing this is addictive.

Remember, no matter where you go, there you are...
Trappersteph
Gold Member

now you can have it...

« Reply #164 on: October 17, 2011, 09:18:44 PM »

How many years have you been doing taxidermy 93ford? Not sure if you mentioned it, and I don't feel like reading the whole thread over again. If you have been doing it 5 years or less, then your work reflects that considering you say you have no formal training. If you are beyond that, you REALLY need improvement. I learned ALOT just reading Breakthrough magazine and the Breakthrough books. I took a 1 on 1 8 hour WT class with a guy ( master taxidermist) who had gotten best of show whitetail at the eastern regionals and who had studied under Joe Meder. That was 300.00 and I learned ALOT. I haven't been to a competition/convention is many years. Recently I've been learning stuff right off of this forum, and "exploring my memory", with things just jumping out at me.

My point? Either you have the talent or you don't. You don't have to be at every competition winning 1st places in the master division either. I know of several old timer taxidermists who are hacks. They have not progressed pass 1970 or 1985 for that matter. They apparently have no talent, since if they did I'd think they would have more pride and do whatever they can to improve their quality. How they are still in business after so many years of low grade work is beyond me, other than the fact that they ARE cheaper than all the taxidermists who actually put out good work and work to improve at a constant rate. I do know that 1 of these hackadoodles went full time after retiring, and he has a full pension and house paid off. Another 1 used to get most of his work from being a deer check-in station for many years, but when DNR stopped doing that he lost alot of business and RAISED his prices. I assume he still does the same quality work though.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Deer and Gameheads  |  Topic: Any taxidermist charging over $200 per deer head is a SCAM ARTIST !! « previous next »