Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 17, 2014, 03:37:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1609428 Posts in 189964 Topics by 42998 Members
Latest Member: ExTax
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: well i attempted to mount my first crappie « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: well i attempted to mount my first crappie  (Read 688 times)
jwilson48

« on: December 21, 2011, 09:14:57 PM »

it was the second crappie i had skinned/fleshed. first one i ripped some good size holes in so it went into the trash. this one i only had a small pinhole in one cheek and a small hole at the base of the tail. much better. however the manikin i bought was too big so the fins won't get lined up properly. i went ahead and finished it just for the practice. gonna let it dry and paint it for practice as well. fortunately i fish for crappie nearly every weekend, when i'm not hunting that is, so after christmas and the new year party is over i will be headed back to the water to catch some more and hopefully slightly larger crappies. the length was correct it was the girth that was too large. if i end up having to alter the manikin to make it less girthy should i just use a sander or what? thanks as always in advance
rnviper3
Platinum Member

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 09:27:46 PM »

keep at it.  Most the commercial forms don't fit exactly.  I usually order them by girth and alter the length if needed.  Be careful to make sure things still line up in the right places.  For example:   I take good measurements of where fins are placed then make it happen on the form.  I have carved a few of my own, but don't feel I get the shape right.  It takes practice so don't give up. 

joeym
Platinum Member

Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 09:33:44 PM »

I make a cast and use fish filler on crappie.  They don't challenge me half as bad as they once did!

Joe Miitchell (aka jkmitch) and Joey Murphey (joeym)

Joey Murphey, Taxidermist    Chunky, Mississippi    www.mstaxidermist.com     http://wokk.com/pages/2965375.php
jwilson48

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 09:34:34 PM »

i will def keep at it. i am continuing to improve slowly, but surely. not having a mentor, i rely on the experts on this website and videos i purchase to get me through it. you guys are great. how do you alter the length? mache, clay, bondo, or something else?
7-Point
Platinum Member

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 09:58:08 PM »

If the manikin is too long just sand it down to fit. If its just slightly too small you can use mache. If its way off, well I'd buy a new manikin.

\"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will.  --Vince Lombardi

Life is Simple: Eat. Sleep. Fish.
joeym
Platinum Member

Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 10:12:22 PM »

I alter fish mannikins with a bandsaw.  If they are too thick, I rip out a half inch or so right out of the center of the mannikin, then bondo the halves together and rasp down any uneven edges.  Same goes for length,  I add or subtract as needed.  I don't alter too many.  Fish bodies come in small enough graduations  that I can generally buy what I need.  Occasionally, something like a big redfish comes along, and lots of altering has to occur.

Joe Miitchell (aka jkmitch) and Joey Murphey (joeym)

Joey Murphey, Taxidermist    Chunky, Mississippi    www.mstaxidermist.com     http://wokk.com/pages/2965375.php
rnviper3
Platinum Member

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 10:21:07 PM »

If I add length I use foam. If I take length out, bondo together.  Yes if its way off order one that is closer to correct. 

joeym, maybe in miss your fish are fatter than ours here in Mich and your fish would tend to fit better to most of the manikins out there.  We have a lot of skinny long fish here.  Plus I'm picky on fin placement and girth dimensions, so I alter a lot of forms.

boarhunter67
Platinum Member

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 06:10:11 PM »

I sometimes have to alter forms as mentioned, but if the fins are the ONLY thing out of place, you can always cut them off, use a dremmel to carve a new slot, fill where they were with apoxy and texture in the scales that would have been there.  I've done it before and you won't be able to tell the fins were moved.
jwilson48

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 08:01:25 PM »

If I add length I use foam. If I take length out, bondo together.  Yes if its way off order one that is closer to correct. 

joeym, maybe in miss your fish are fatter than ours here in Mich and your fish would tend to fit better to most of the manikins out there.  We have a lot of skinny long fish here.  Plus I'm picky on fin placement and girth dimensions, so I alter a lot of forms.
that is very true. the crappie anyways in mississippi are huge compared to the ones up here in missouri. i remember the first tourney i was around down there. crappieusa. first place had 7 crappie that weighed over 21lbs. there were 31 fish turned in that day over 3 lbs. my team had 14lbs something and finished 15th or 16th. talk about crazy. those are some real hogs down there. lake grenada.
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: well i attempted to mount my first crappie « previous next »