Headed on a new journey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 31, 2014, 05:54:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1619563 Posts in 191510 Topics by 43280 Members
Latest Member: 5thDayTaxidermy
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear! Please Click Here for full details and to enter.
You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Headed on a new journey « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Print
Author Topic: Headed on a new journey  (Read 6222 times)
boarhunter67
Platinum Member

« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2012, 12:54:43 AM »

That's one reason I own about 30 DVD's.  I like to see how different people do things and with everyone I learn one or two new things.  Like Bill said, you are just starting out and laying the base.  Don't give up.  You will look back years from now and even things you didn't understand when he showed you the one time will click at some point and you will wonder at some point, boy this used to be so hard for me.  Now I can't remember why it used to seem so hard.  As long as you are constantly enjoying it and learning new things, you'll do well.
boarzhead
Silver Member

God created man... Samuel Colt made them equal!

« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2012, 01:36:11 AM »

X2 ^^^^

If you love something set it free.  If it comes back to you it is yours and if it doesn't, hunt it down and kill it!
Driftless
Gold Member

« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2012, 07:54:53 AM »

Hey Greg and Eric,
I just finished fish taxidermy school and it was a great experience.  Hang in there.  It looks like you guys just may want to try different forms, eyes, and materials.  We used flexible fin glue with backing tape and forms that were more action- like.  You may want to card the gill plates and between the gills to add a little more realism to the fish.  Did you use a lacquer-based paint?  We had great results with that.  Try practicing vermiculations on paper for awhile before putting on fish and have some good reference photos on hand - I found some good ones here in the Fish section.
Shawn.

Happy, Happy, Happy.
boarhunter67
Platinum Member

« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2012, 03:51:46 PM »

Also buy some videos from Rick Krane (fish) and Rick Carter.
deremer44
Bronze Member

« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2012, 10:05:24 PM »

We won;t give up. we're not quiters. Just a little fustraed at the momment.
chris
Greg s

« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2012, 10:05:38 AM »

Thanks everyone! I completely understand what you are all saying. I have spent some time with other taxidermist and each has their own methods. The learning will not stop for me. I plan to continue on with my personal education. I will attend seminars, purchase quality dvds, and hopefully find an apprenticeship within an hour of my home. I will also practice a lot on donated specimens, and the work of friends willing to allow me the privilege of mounting their trophy. Chuck at, "On Time Taxidermy" has been a great mentor and friend. I will travel to learn as funds permit, and of course this site has been tremendous for me. My classmates have become great friends! As far as what is happening with school right now,I will learn as much as possible from whom ever has the knowledge. I love doing this and nothing, or no person will change that. This is what I chose to do. Thanks everyone for the support. Sorry I haven't posted in a couple of days. It has been extremely busy here. Take care all.
Boomer Sooner

« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2012, 02:35:09 PM »

Keep chasing the dream and someday if not already you will be rewarded. just remember to always remember the ones who taught you and pass it along. I live near some very good taxidermist and some will share info and some won't   Good Luck with school :)
Greg s

« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2012, 07:28:31 PM »

Hey all, It's been a few days since my last post, so here is the scoop. We are deeply embedded in our fur course and things are moving at macho speed. I finally had a chance to mount my small mammal today, a squirrel. Mounting went well. I also tweaked my red fox some and did some sewing on my bear rug. Yes all today. Others started deer mounts and some did medium size mammals. The best part of our day was a visit from Chuck Glass and his new pooch Hunter. Chuck helped us all today. Thanks Chuck, if you read this. I will be working my bear exclusively tomorrow. Don't know what everyone else will be working tomorrow. I am taking some of the students to my cabin this weekend for some much needed relaxation. We can all use it. This group of fellow students are fantastic. They have become good friends. I will post pics as I complete work. Once again thanks to those pros out there for all the well wishes and advice. I must go now. Time to call the wife and wish her a great Valentines day.
RBlack
Bronze Member

« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2012, 02:29:52 AM »

You guys should do a group photo before you all go seperate ways.
Greg s

« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2012, 06:40:28 PM »

There will absolutely be a group photo taken this week. Some of our classmates will finish out this week and return to West Virginia. (Kevin) you have become our friend, and a great source of info. I will see you soon. Big Nay, and Brian we got time. Chris, I will see you I am sure. Eric, my friend we missed you this weekend. I will definitely keep in touch. Still planning a seminar, or two with you. I must say, training with all of you has been the best part of the process. We all know why. Yet I will say this to each of you; our time together as aspiring professionals is just beginning. You will be successful. Kevin, keep the phone close, Haha.
To all following this thread, there is more to follow. Thanks for all the advice and continued support.
Greg s

« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2012, 10:04:37 PM »

Chris finished today, that's 2 out. Good luck girl. I will miss ya. I will keep in touch. Just remember all things take time. I finished my second deer, fox, and my tree rat. Took them home. I hung with Eric for the afternoon.
deremer44
Bronze Member

« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2012, 11:06:35 PM »

Will miss you Greg. You were my partner in crime lol. Is Eric done yet? Planning on working on garage for awhile to get set up for shop. Keep in touch and I'll see you next week sometime.
Chris
Greg s

« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2012, 06:43:54 PM »

Three left now. Eric, Kevin, and Chris all gone. Not quite the same. Brian, and Naylon still in school for a bit. All great people. Did some finish work on my dear heads today, ok at best. Being rushed along isn't helping. I also started my full bear mount. I love the art! Those of you out there who gave me the pep talks along the way, "Thank You." I truly look forward to the next leg of my journey. For those that contacted me; I will be in touch soon. Looks like about two, or three weeks yet. I must admit I do look forward to being home. My hostess here has become family. Thanks Colleen. Taxidermy, and most taxidermists in general are great folks. Back later, bye now.
Greg s

« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2012, 07:32:14 PM »

Sorry It's been a few days since the last post. Things are winding down with school. Just two of us left. Naylon left back to W. VA today. Good luck my friend. Just Brian and myself left. I will continue with final deer mount tomorrow, preen gobbler, and skin grouse. After that its all finish and paint work. Then the next step of the journey begins. I really look forward to it. You guys on here have been tremendous. I thank you. Chuck, looking forward to getting back. Bill M. I will call soon. Thanks everyone.
Bill Motzer
Platinum Member

« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2012, 08:52:27 PM »

Sounds good Greg!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Headed on a new journey « previous next »