Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 31, 2014, 07:30:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1597877 Posts in 188396 Topics by 42677 Members
Latest Member: kanlanazz
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Bird Taxidermy  |  Topic: What the...? a white Canada goose! « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: What the...? a white Canada goose!  (Read 3128 times)
2wbdft
Gold Member

« on: February 03, 2012, 03:11:16 PM »

8) dropped at the shop a few days ago... looks leuistic to me, but i will defer to yalls opinions, specifically Nancy.

no pics of the eyes as they were obliterated by a pellet but im assuming pink. also the lids were quite small, not as fleshy as i was expecting and yellow.

anyway enjoy the pics!

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
J.NEAL

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 03:32:48 PM »

looks like somebody got lucky!

Yes I\'m new on the forum, and no I\'m not a pro...heck I\'m not ever a good hobbyist.
2wbdft
Gold Member

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 03:41:58 PM »

no doubt...

the bill is a bit translucent also, should be a peach to accurately recreate!  ;D

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
franchi612
Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 05:52:57 PM »

Absolutely stunning! I have seen one on the wild many years ago. Saw it flying so knew it wasn't a snow. Spent the fall in our area but could never get it to come in to the dekes. What an incredible trophy. I wish some one would study bird dna and color relation so we could more accurately name the different colors like in mammals. It would be so cool to know what causes these variations!
drakeman
Gold Member

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 06:15:36 PM »

If it were a leucistic Canada wouldn't the feet and bill at least be black?  Looks cool.   I have a leucistic Canada but the head and neck, bill, and feet are all normal color.
2wbdft
Gold Member

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 08:08:16 PM »

not sure, thats why im deferring to Nancy ;). seems she is in the know with these goofy buggars.

yep, its really neat to have such a rariety in my lil ole shop. even better, its taxidermists choice on the pose!  ;D

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Barrowsgoldeneye

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 09:16:03 PM »

i would say Albino Canada for shure
Cajun_Trooper

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 10:08:55 PM »

8) dropped at the shop a few days ago... looks leuistic to me, but i will defer to yalls opinions, specifically Nancy.

U should have sent her a PM, cause what would we know........
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 02:21:57 PM by Cajun_Trooper » Logged
Rhasputin
Platinum Member

The Expert

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 11:01:48 PM »

Didn't get much of a look at the eyes, but they look red. If they are, I'm going with albino!

A single pair of hands at work accomplishes more than a billion clasped in prayer.
Nancy C
Platinum Member

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 11:14:48 PM »

Wow ..... that's a real puzzler.  I would say it is definitely an albino, at least from what I can see.
It appears to be lacking melain either completely or almost completely. The yellowish areas are probably nothing more than fat deposits showing through the translucent skin.

I can't even say what species it is for sure, but the shape of the beak definitely suggests 100% Canada. If one eye is intact you might be able to inject it with clear water and get an idea of what color it was. Otherwise, dissect the eye, rinse it off, and check the iris. Either pink/red or blue is possible, but as white as that one is I would be expecting pink.

Awesome bird!

drakeman
Gold Member

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 11:20:47 PM »

Taxidermists choice on pose!!  I love hearing those words.   Cool deal!
Brian
Platinum Member

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 10:44:54 AM »

this has been the most coolest year for weird birds.

byrdman
Platinum Member

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 01:34:35 PM »

there is a small band of similar geese flying around ne of the twin cities mn....some more white and some with more tan and white throat patches......a bird breeder has a flock of buff geese and some tame canadas as well.....along with wild cans that drop in and feed rest and breed with his birds....every year one or two are shot by hunters.....I can go to his farm anytime and see several......that would be my first guess is that it is a wild canada mixed with a tame goose of some sort....
2wbdft
Gold Member

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 02:39:52 PM »

carved out the better of the eye's last night along with a "few" other things... injected it and viola! color is a bit washed out but appears to have been 90% PINK, with a sweet little band of blue or grey around the pink. wish i had a better camera for you all to see. taking it and comparing it to 14 other canadas i have in the shop right now that weigh nearly the same as it and taking measurements of some of the skeletal structure, ie, skull width and length, keel width and length, tibia, fibia, femur, pubis, illium and along with its syrinx . im convinced its a mutated canada of sorts. ive had a few mutt hybrids in the shop over the years and you can tell there's been a "visitor" in the hen house on all of them, you can just tell things are just off. example the gray-lag/Canada from a few years ago, THAT thing was homely!  not with this guy... its 100% Canada goose.

man this is going to be a fun project. im going to give painting a custom eye a shot...

"knock-knock".... hello Mr Knuth?  lol

btw, the hunter tells me it was with a group of nearly sixty other canadas at the time it was taken. he now feels a bit melancholy for killing it.  :-\

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
franchi612
Silver Member

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 02:58:17 PM »

there is a small band of similar geese flying around ne of the twin cities mn....some more white and some with more tan and white throat patches......a bird breeder has a flock of buff geese and some tame canadas as well.....along with wild cans that drop in and feed rest and breed with his birds....every year one or two are shot by hunters.....I can go to his farm anytime and see several......that would be my first guess is that it is a wild canada mixed with a tame goose of some sort....

it looks like a small bird to me. No trace of giant or tame bird there. The head and bill look 100% canada.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Bird Taxidermy  |  Topic: What the...? a white Canada goose! « previous next »