How long do I got to shave
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 30, 2014, 08:15:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1619289 Posts in 191468 Topics by 43274 Members
Latest Member: stainlessmike
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear! Please Click Here for full details and to enter.
You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Tanning  |  Topic: How long do I got to shave « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How long do I got to shave  (Read 1762 times)
Bushtail24

« on: February 04, 2012, 04:31:10 PM »

I am using krowtann for the first time on a life-size bear and bobcat.  They are due to come out of
The tan tonight after 3 days.   The problem is that my Dakota shaving Ian t going to be in til monday
Afternoon.  Should inleave in the tan til then or take out neutralize, rinse, and freeze til then?
Or any other advice? Thanks
MVT
Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 05:06:42 PM »

Three days is not long enough for the bear. I would leave it in a minimum of 5 days. 7 would be better. Make sure you are turning it every day. It will not hurt to leave the cat in also. If it is going to be an extended time before you get set up to shave and mount then I would do your neutralizing, wash, spin or hang to drip then wrap them tight in a plastic bag and freeze.
Bushtail24

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 05:30:10 PM »

Ok thanks.  The bottle and instructions say 3 to 4 days, I guess longer is ok, or where do I find out how long to tan each species?
MVT
Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 12:34:30 AM »

I believe the instructions tell you the same amount of time for each species. The receipt changes for each. But....a clean degreased hide will take the tan quicker than a greasy hide. Also it only stands to reason a thinner hide is going to tan through faster than a thick hide will. (sorry for stating the obvious) I have learned from trial and error that bears take at least 5 days. You can leave the hide in longer as once it is tanned completely the hide will no longer take any more tan. I have also found that room temperature also plays into the time for the tan to work. The colder the temperature the longer it takes for tan to work. You will know when you start shaving the hide if it is tanned through. You will have areas that are a little fleshy, pinkish and won't be plumped up so that you can shave them properly. 
Timber Ghost
Platinum Member

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 05:45:29 AM »

Krowtann, that is your first problem.
You really should learn to tan hides right way,
FYI, not trying to be critical. Just the best way for you.

MISSOURI CAT FISH  ARE TOUGH ON NOODLERS
MVT
Silver Member

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 12:36:00 PM »

and the right way is....?
Richbo
Gold Member

2nd place is the first loser!

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 09:34:29 PM »

I have had hides in KT for more than a month and never had a problem.  I seem to remember seeing posts on here where people have left their hides in for months at a time with no issues.  Don't rush it coming out of the tan.  Your hide should be good for a few more days......

Spirit of the Wild Taxidermy
Frank E. Kotula
Platinum Member

master, judge, instructor

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 12:15:51 PM »

Till your old enough to grow facial hair then it's time to shave. After you get a face full of hair stop and then grow a beard like me other than that I'm not sure about Krow-tan call the makers on that since it's a pickle that becomes a tan. I have never heard any body leaving their skins in krowtan for any extend period of time other than what the directions say but I have worked with hides that have been kwotanned.
So having said this I would go through the tanning process and keep it as a wet tan till my machine get fixed. Take the hide and just freeze it till then. It will shave just like any other hide that was pickled for that's feeling I get when I shaved a few down when I taught this person who tanned them with krowtan.

Frank E. Kotula
http://www.FranksWildlifeStudio.com
one on one classes 570-819-0391
All phases of taxidermy
Tom King
Platinum Member

My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 09:46:12 AM »

Leave them in the KT as long as you need....it will not hurt them.....

Timber Ghost....If you have nothing constructive to offer on these Krowtan posts then why dont you just pass em on by.....

Custom School of Taxidermy
495 John Pruitt Rd
Daniesville,GA
706-789-3786
Specialized One on One lessons for beginners in good quality Commercial taxidermy.
verne
Platinum Member

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 11:05:48 AM »

X 2.   krowtann ;  just an other way to preserve a hide , use many ways  my self.
oldshaver
Platinum Member

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 08:20:54 PM »

Leave them in the KT as long as you need....it will not hurt them.....

Timber Ghost....If you have nothing constructive to offer on these Krowtan posts then why dont you just pass em on by.....

I kinda with Tom on the KT thing.

Weather I like it, or products similar to it, I am retired from beating that dead horse! I am done saying anything negative about anyones methods used to preserve a skin. If I can help anyone use any product, no matter who sells it, or what it is, I will always give my BEST advice, to aid in a positive Taxidrmy result!
verne
Platinum Member

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 10:07:02 AM »

Well spoken Oldshaver   ;D
Greg Livbucks
Platinum Member

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 10:12:17 AM »

I have left skins in KT for 8 months without ever looking at them and they came out perfect. I rotate the first three days and after that who cares, provided they are submerged and no air pockets to speak of. On the same note, I neutralized one, shaved it and put it in the refrigerator (NOT freezer). six weeks later I shampooed it and mounted and it came out perfect. Maybe I'm lucky....
kikkertinz
Platinum Member

Glass half full

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 10:31:33 AM »

josh s.
Platinum Member

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 10:39:44 AM »

Lol :)

westwindcalls.webs.com
Custom made calls
westwindtaxidermy@yahoo.com forinquiries
315-730-0184
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Tanning  |  Topic: How long do I got to shave « previous next »