Plumping up fish
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2014, 04:45:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1616933 Posts in 191083 Topics by 43197 Members
Latest Member: skullsnbones1127
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: Plumping up fish « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Plumping up fish  (Read 1851 times)
Cecil
Platinum Member

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 02:09:13 PM »

Try some BOTOX! ;D
Seriously though I am interested in a solution to this problem as well :-\

Whatever this stuff is they can puff up tissue as much as they want depending on how much they use.

My biggest fear is dying and my wife selling all of my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it.
classic tails
Gold Member

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 02:22:05 PM »

I know this sounds "CRAZY"  But Mount the fish as a skin mount two "sided pedistal"...  Then cast it.  I know for a fact some of the bigger retail suppliers do this all the time...  

It is better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb...
CrabCrazy
Platinum Member

Herman Darr

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 02:26:54 PM »

nothing is that crazy on taxinet

Mounting Game and fish since 1958...retired since 2010
JE
Platinum Member

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 06:46:11 PM »

I know this sounds "CRAZY"  But Mount the fish as a skin mount two "sided pedistal"...  Then cast it.  I know for a fact some of the bigger retail suppliers do this all the time... 
I knew that some of the "big boys" did this, and had this been a rare specimen it might have been a good option, but I could just as easily bought a blank for a small rainbow, I want to find a way around this problem for future fish.
I have ordered some hypodermic needles in different sizes to try injecting the fish with goodness knows what just now, so I have returned the fish to the freezer until they arrive, this will give me a few days to think of what to inject !
John.

CrabCrazy
Platinum Member

Herman Darr

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 06:53:17 PM »

Good Luck John...let us know what happends

snagmaster49
Silver Member

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2012, 02:48:54 PM »

i do nt think joan rivers will tell u her secrets :D

Richard M. Ward
JE
Platinum Member

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2012, 04:59:01 PM »

Well, after spending 24 hours in bed on Friday with a "sickness bug" that knocked me for six, my Rainbow trout is still in its ice bucket ! I had also taken a big Salmon out of the freezer so this became my priority today. this had a few "dents" in it, so I tried thinning caulk down with water and injecting this under the skin, but it was still too thick for the needle to handle, so I made a couple of incisions in the fin junctions and shoved the caulk nozzle in right under the skin where it was needed, then smoothed things out with my hands, in the smaller places I simply injected alcohol, it works to some extent but I still need to find the right stuff for injecting.
I just hope the trout is still OK, I have my doubts though.
John

John Helm
Silver Member

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2012, 11:37:27 PM »

I think I have the solution.  Since caulk, glue and similar materials solidify quickly and have limited workability, how about a liquid polymer clay that you can inject under the skin in various areas with a high pressure glue injector?  I have one for injecting wood glue into chair and furniture joints without disassembling the piece.  Liquid polymer clay can be molded and shaped under the skin and more can be added without changing the consistency of the original amount.  It cures at 300 degrees in an oven so there's no fear of it hardening during the molding process of the fish.  Liquid Sculpey is one brand of this clay, but it might have to be thickened with something to hold its shape better under the skin.  Just an idea.
CrabCrazy
Platinum Member

Herman Darr

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2012, 12:45:12 AM »

silicone gets hard quickly...not latex caulk....that sculptie clay is kind of expensive

JE
Platinum Member

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2012, 06:22:21 AM »

Finally got my rainbow out of its bucket this morning ! it has been in there since Thursday morning. So I reckon on about 65-70 hrs. I put it in salt water, (I guessed it would help stop bacteria ) and also stop the water freezing, I put ice in the water and stood the bucket outside in below freezing temps, (until yesterday when things turned a little milder).
Normally I would not even think about leaving a fish in water this long, but guess what, it looks fine !!! nicely filled out, with only a few places needing "plumping", these were done with caulk through the fin openings. I will post a pic once I get a cast made.
 So sorry but no more experiments on this fish, but I hope this thread keeps going and the ideas keep coming.
John

Dondi
Platinum Member

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2012, 07:28:12 AM »

good luck.
An ice bath helps somewhat but as soon as you manipulate the skin your back to ...now what.  I have never had success with Trout with excessive wrinkles.   Sure you can do a reverse bend that stretches the skin and get a one sided cast but the other side is a real problem.   

Just had one of those and informed the client that a skin mount would be the optimal way to go. 

X2
Trout, without a doubt are very hard to mold "Good on both sides"....for that matter they are a challenge to mold good on one side LOL
I think most who offer Trout blanks mold the specimen in fiberglass resin or plaster, then "Chase" the mold to repair shrikage, the best that they can...I agree with Rich B. , any solutions to this problem are appreciated..

Don Patton
Replicas, Blanks & Fin Sets for Sale Link:
http://dondifish.webs.com
marshy creek
Bronze Member

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2012, 05:43:37 PM »

good luck.
An ice bath helps somewhat but as soon as you manipulate the skin your back to ...now what.  I have never had success with Trout with excessive wrinkles.   Sure you can do a reverse bend that stretches the skin and get a one sided cast but the other side is a real problem.   

Just had one of those and informed the client that a skin mount would be the optimal way to go. 
GEEZ, that is one of the easiest things to fix in molding fish...I am surprised that even an expert has no advise.....that is the first thing  I learned when choosing to mold fish......I guess there must be multiple layers in "learning curves"
GBRUCH
Platinum Member

"I am nothing without christ".....John 15:5

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2012, 07:16:06 PM »

LOL! 

I am no expert just marginally experienced.  I did give my advice--I would skin mount it as imho not all specimans are good candidates to mold as is.

Please enlighten us

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord,not for men" ......Colossians 3:23 
God has greatly enriched our lives with beauty. And we in turn express our gratitude by displaying his glory in our art. -- Julia Ackerman link

Gary Bruch
www.bruchsfish.com
marshy creek
Bronze Member

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2012, 08:42:57 PM »

sorry Gary......my learning curve is far behind yours, and I would not want to guess and share bad advice.....after all, I am not an "Award Winning" taxidermist.....sorry to hear trout are so hard to mold.....maybe you missed a few steps on your way to stardom..smooch
JE
Platinum Member

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2012, 07:31:28 AM »

"Ok John.....since I am old and have many wrinkles, please draw me my 72 hour soak to get rid of of them.....if you only knew how easy it is to make them disappear right before your eyes"

Marshy, your wrinkles are not caused by the same thing as a frozen trouts are, yours are the same as my own, old age ! and I guarantee soaking will make them worse LOL.
And apparently I am not alone in wanting to know how to make these wrinkles disappear, and any solution to any problem is easy , once you know the answer.
But I guess any one could say they knew how, now couldn't they  Wink
Marshy, not sure why your seemingly obsessed with other peoples success, ribbons, awards or whatever, but you need to let it go , LOL
I come on here for help, advice, inspiration,friendship in some cases and the odd laugh, I do not give a hoot who has won what, done what or otherwise, I have had plenty of help from World championship winners and beginners alike. I try and help others, get on with my life and am happy with what I do, (apart from mold damn wrinkly fish !)
John

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: Plumping up fish « previous next »