pickle problem need fast help
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 21, 2014, 08:32:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1632301 Posts in 193692 Topics by 43737 Members
Latest Member: Lechnoid
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Tanning  |  Topic: pickle problem need fast help « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: pickle problem need fast help  (Read 2661 times)
nelsonstaxidermy
Bronze Member
**
Location: sioux falls, sd
Posts: 217


« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 08:14:22 AM »

when i went to school we could handled the capes right out of the pickle with out latex goves and such, i used gloves with the little pickle i made and itturned them yellow is that just beause of the type of acid i used or a maybe a chemical reacted to the latex i didnt want it to turn my hands yellow lol
Logged

David
josh s.
Platinum Member
*****
Location: Scipio Center NY
Posts: 1163


WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 08:37:16 AM »

when i went to school we could handled the capes right out of the pickle with out latex goves and such, i used gloves with the little pickle i made and itturned them yellow is that just beause of the type of acid i used or a maybe a chemical reacted to the latex i didnt want it to turn my hands yellow lol
getting the pickle on you at one time or another is ok i suppose but constantly putting your hands in the pickle is not. Im pretty sure it will start breaking the epidermis on your hands down. Maybe I worded that wrong....but its not a good idea anyway....it may be called safety acid but its still acid.
Logged


westwindcalls.webs.com
Custom made calls
westwindtaxidermy@yahoo.com forinquiries
315-730-0184
oldshaver
Platinum Member
*****
Location: Zebulon, NC
Posts: 1194


« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 10:04:56 PM »

Mr. T, and George, touched on two important points, in my opinion.

As T said, making a larger pickle will eliminate adjustments an the un-wanted rises in pH of a small pickle, and you can also re-use that pickle.

George also touched on the fact, that every acid had its "bottom limits". George refered to formic.

The acid in question is probablly oxalic acid. Too toxic for my blood.(no pun intended)

I am hoping that Cyclone can explain the following 8), because I can not, without alot of reading.

After an  acid "bottoms out" , what happens if you keep adding acid? I used to think that just adding water and salt, would suffice to raise a pickles pH. I learned better.

Here is my personal experience with "too much acid".

A Lady using citric acid in her pickles, called me complaining of curling hair on her deer capes. In my personal opinion, curling hair, is caused by too my acid, removing all the natura(protective)l oils from the animals hair. After one failed attempt of solving her problem, I told her to check the pH of her water supply. It was 4.5.

By adding 3oz of citric acid to "regular" tap water, you will get a pH of 1.5.

I told her to cut her citric acid from 3oz per gallon, to 1.5oz per gallon, and guess what? Problem solved! The kikker is, the pH was 1.5 with BOTH solutions. Three oz per gallon  was 1.5, and 1.5oz was a pH of 1.5!

The pH was the same, but the ACTUAL acid concentration was changed?????

Cyclone, hook a Brother up!



 



Logged
George Roof
Platinum Member
*****
Location: Magnolia, Delaware
Posts: 31094


The older I get, the better I was.

WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2012, 10:12:54 PM »

I'm with you OS. CYCLONE WHERE ARE YOU!
I THINK adding more acid only is effective until you bottom out. At that point the pH will boy change but the CONCENTRATION will. But that's from memory of a 1964 Chemistry class. We need Cyclone.
Logged

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
brigham boy
Gold Member
****
Location: utah
Posts: 728


"if it's horny, mount it"

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2012, 10:14:28 PM »

Mr. T, and George, touched on two important points, in my opinion.

As T said, making a larger pickle will eliminate adjustments an the un-wanted rises in pH of a small pickle, and you can also re-use that pickle.

George also touched on the fact, that every acid had its "bottom limits". George refered to formic.

The acid in question is probablly oxalic acid. Too toxic for my blood.(no pun intended)

I am hoping that Cyclone can explain the following 8), because I can not, without alot of reading.

After an  acid "bottoms out" , what happens if you keep adding acid? I used to think that just adding water and salt, would suffice to raise a pickles pH. I learned better.

Here is my personal experience with "too much acid".

A Lady using citric acid in her pickles, called me complaining of curling hair on her deer capes. In my personal opinion, curling hair, is caused by too my acid, removing all the natura(protective)l oils from the animals hair. After one failed attempt of solving her problem, I told her to check the pH of her water supply. It was 4.5.

By adding 3oz of citric acid to "regular" tap water, you will get a pH of 1.5.

I told her to cut her citric acid from 3oz per gallon, to 1.5oz per gallon, and guess what? Problem solved! The kikker is, the pH was 1.5 with BOTH solutions. Three oz per gallon  was 1.5, and 1.5oz was a pH of 1.5!

The pH was the same, but the ACTUAL acid concentration was changed?????

Cyclone, hook a Brother up!

Now she is saving money too lol.  That's weird
Logged

"live in the moment."
cyclone
Platinum Member
*****
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 3531


Posts: 34821

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2012, 03:12:11 PM »

I'm with you OS. CYCLONE WHERE ARE YOU!
I THINK adding more acid only is effective until you bottom out. At that point the pH will boy change but the CONCENTRATION will. But that's from memory of a 1964 Chemistry class. We need Cyclone.

Gheesh, can't believe I didn't see this post until now...I'll try to answer with an older post..


If your pH is rising and you have to add more during the course of the pickling stage, That rise is due to to the acidic protons being neutralized whether by something within the hide or on the hide.    If you start out with 10 oz of your acid at the beginning and add another 5 oz the next few days to bring it back down,  Why not start out with 15 oz at the beginning?   

Different acids affect pH differently.  I can add a truckload of formic acid (a weak acid) with the confidence that the pH will not drop much below 2.  It is the nature of formic acid.  I know that if I add 2 truckloads of formic, I might get the pH below 2 but I still have 2 truckloads of acid to neutralize.
Only a certain number of the formic acid molecules will go to work while the others remain idle but at the ready...

Use a acid like hydrochloric (a strong acid)  and all of the available protons will go to work.  Hydrochloric has no lazy protons.  It will drop the pH like a rock...


Notice (a weak acid) and (a strong acid) in parens...  To a chemist these notations have special meaning.  Strong acids, by definition, donate all of their acidic protons when in solution..  Weak acids only donate so many acidic protons the others are held tight to the acidic molecule..

Logged



Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate. They are one and the same...

Re-hydrate! It is an important step.


Spell chek.....not jest enother perty button.
oldshaver
Platinum Member
*****
Location: Zebulon, NC
Posts: 1194


« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2012, 08:31:37 PM »

Thanks dude! 8)
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Tanning  |  Topic: pickle problem need fast help « previous next »
 



Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP
Contents © 2006-2012 Taxidermy.Net, LLC. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy.
Powered by SMF 2.0.8 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.149 seconds with 22 queries.