Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 23, 2014, 08:23:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1610672 Posts in 190154 Topics by 43028 Members
Latest Member: Whitetail Insanity190
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Deer and Gameheads  |  Topic: did ya ever regret taking a job on ! (updated mounted up pics) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: did ya ever regret taking a job on ! (updated mounted up pics)  (Read 6303 times)
Mill Creek Taxidermy (fozzie)
Platinum Member

« on: February 09, 2012, 09:48:43 AM »

I got a customer that starting out I knew he was gonna be a little different than the usual. When he mentioned his deer sat in the woods over night for 22hrs and 18 minutes, i knew I was gonna be up agaist someone I cannot please. Well he brought me the deer during thanksgiving dinner (nice...but part of the job ) It was his son who shot the big buck so I had mentioned to him that if he and his son were interested I would M A Y B E enter it in the comp this year maybe ! He acted like he could care less about that so thats where I left it . After that every 2 wks he would call and ask if his cape was gonna be ok, is it gonna slip?  Finnaly I just said "I tell ya what ,I will pull your cape out next ans tan it right away to reassure you that your cape will not slip and you do not have to go months wondering " One week later he calls and lets me know he has the rack officially scored and he can drop the rack off so I can get started on it right away lol ......WTF ? OH YEA , NOW WERE BACK TO putting it in the show again  ::) After tanning the cape I can see it is NOT SHOW quallity , it has papila on the outside of the back corner of the mouth (might tuck just fine) it also has a rip in the eye, and on top of that he wants the ears not forward, not back , but somewhere goofy in the middle.  Now we got in a spat over this and again he got his way because I think thats how were sapposed to run our biz .....but I am not running it, he is damnit! On top of all this I also took in two more remounts for this guy and I really could care less about ever doing ANY of his work.  I would LOVE to give him his tanned cape back the damn form and all his money minus the form price and shove him over to the next guy down the road somewhere. The only thing is if i do he will badmouth me all over town. I have lost 2 nights of sleep over this guy already just worrying about how to handle this guy. His mount is one of the last ones I took in , who the hell does he think he is....what would you pro's do in this situation? I honestly do not think I'm gonna be able to please him. I am thinkn the only way to get out of the comp thing with him is not enter anything this year now, it looking like this will be my only option.
UPDATED :::::: GOT IT DONE! Dork ears and rack cheated forward just like requested , still gotta retuck the nose again I see lol and adjust ......cant wait til this thing is out of the shop....I HATE the ears not forward but not back ....their in limbo so to speak.....like two satalite dish's. Hurry , hurry dry, dry ,dry  ::) :D Had a hard time tring to hide the goofy papila on the outside corner of the mouth too!

« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 02:48:13 PM by Mill Creek Taxidermy (fozzie) » Logged
verne
Platinum Member

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 09:56:56 AM »

:o  ;D  ???   :-\   >:(
Platinum Member

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 09:58:08 AM »

Well your allot of help Mike.......maybe I should send him your way ......huh?
verne
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 10:04:59 AM »

I`am not a professional : and I`am sure he would love the drive up here , but then again i would not have him showing up at my door to often.
Bucknut
Platinum Member

176 5/8

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 10:05:47 AM »

Tell him again that his cape is not show quality and that the pose he is wanting is not what you want to compete with. Plain and simple. You can mount another deer for the comp . You don't have to tell him that. That is your decision. Not his.  Then mount his deer and get them out the door and be done with him.

Bruce

I got a couple of 170's - now I want a 190!
Platinum Member

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 10:08:06 AM »

Professional is a label we like to add to everything we do , if Billybob can call himself a pro so can you , you goofy cook lol , your work is up there with the some of the best Mike , do NOT sell yourself short like I did in this case!
I`am not a professional : and I`am sure he would love the drive up here , but then again i would not have him showing up at my door to often.
Platinum Member

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 10:10:31 AM »

He will be at the show......he will know if I compete with anything. The show is right in my backyard so damn near all my customers go ......damnit! I need to grow a set of vegitables when dealing with customers dont I lol !
verne
Platinum Member

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 10:11:33 AM »

Thank`s ; I know you can handle it Rick , good luck.
shammy
Platinum Member

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 10:24:28 AM »

Personally, I would not have mentioned anything about putting it in competition at all. Maybe at a later time if everything worked out fine. Now you are regretting it. Sometimes people can be a pain in the wazoo but without them we would not have any work. Be honest with him about the cape and tell him it is not show quality. Maybe he will understand. Maybe he wont at least you was honest about it. Explain to him that you have other clients  animals ahead of him. or try to sneak it in someplace and get it done. But don't give him a date or he will be hounding ya. Good Luck, Its a bad situation.   shammy
Bill Motzer
Platinum Member

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 10:29:14 AM »

Mount it, put it in commercial division and collect the check  ;)
Hill Country Taxidermy
Bronze Member

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 10:35:27 AM »

I would tell him simply, "You are customer number #25, right now I am on customer #7.....out of fairness to my other clients, I have to proceed in the order they were brought in.  If you would like to pay extra for a rush job, money talks and I will listen.  If not, I will call you when the mount is ready." 
joeym
Platinum Member

Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 10:49:27 AM »

Never, never, promise to put a customers work in competition.  Since you've painted yourself into a corner, you may consider using a competition quality cape, and use his on one of his remounts...nobody will ever know but you.

Joe Miitchell (aka jkmitch) and Joey Murphey (joeym)

Joey Murphey, Taxidermist    Chunky, Mississippi    www.mstaxidermist.com     http://wokk.com/pages/2965375.php
Clint Rickey
Silver Member

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 10:51:21 AM »

It is as bad of a situation as you make. It will be allot easier on you if you nip this in the butt soon. I have allot of experience with hounding, impatient customers and in the past it made my life terrible. I would get a call from a guy pestering me about getting his piece done and I would say "I'm getting close, a few more weeks it should be done". So a rush to get it done before he calls again! Then in the meantime another call and another call! It seemed I was always behind the eight ball. Last year I made it a point to explain to the customers that there mount will take 6 months to a year to complete ,it could be sooner but I will call you when it is getting close. Now when a customer calls all I tell them is that I will call them when it is done and never give the a specific time frame, and if they have a problem (which most don't but a select few do) don't let it eat at you because if he doesn't ever come back you probably don't want him anyway.
3bears
Platinum Member

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 10:55:37 AM »

X2 on what Hill Country said. And if you get it mounted in time x2 on what Bill Motzer. Don't let it get you worked up it will be reflected in other peoples mounts. Good luck, 3bears
GregC424
Silver Member

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 10:58:03 AM »

22hrs and 18min LMAO Tell him that the cape is not show quality. if he wants to enter it in the show you would need to get a comp quality cape for an extra $$$$  and it would be an extra $$$$ to mount a comp piece because there are many more hours spent on it.  If he goes for that then hope you get 1st  ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Deer and Gameheads  |  Topic: did ya ever regret taking a job on ! (updated mounted up pics) « previous next »