Cheap flexible molding material?
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2014, 10:32:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1571951 Posts in 184445 Topics by 41986 Members
Latest Member: brand
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Molding and Casting  |  Topic: Cheap flexible molding material? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Cheap flexible molding material?  (Read 8211 times)
Rhasputin
Platinum Member

The Expert

« on: February 14, 2012, 01:18:16 PM »

I've been doing a lot of custom jewelry lately, and I make my own molds to build resin and porcelain cast jewelry pieces.

I've been using a pricey sort of mold making material specifically for jewelry, but it's -so- expensive.

Is there something cheaper that I can use? Preferably something silicone, I need to be able to pour resin inside, and get it out without ruining the mold. Needs to be flexible and re-usable. Looked into McKenzie's site and saw alginate powder? How does that work?

Thanks

A single pair of hands at work accomplishes more than a billion clasped in prayer.
CrabCrazy
Platinum Member

Herman Darr

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 01:42:39 PM »

alginate decomposes after a while, so its a one shot use.....the only cheap molding material i know is latex....most all pourable silicones are expensive

Mounting Game and fish since 1958...retired since 2010
Rhasputin
Platinum Member

The Expert

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 01:45:21 PM »

Well take into account the small scale I'm working with.

The putty I'm using is very pricey, and it works, but I'm thinking it's more pricey than pourable silicone.
What's a price conscious and effective pourable silicone?

I just looked into bluestar but I have to wait for a quote from them, so i have no idea about their cost.

A single pair of hands at work accomplishes more than a billion clasped in prayer.
2wbdft
Gold Member

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 01:52:54 PM »

DAP brand 100% silicone might work for you. i use it in all my waterfowl head molds.

... you may pm "polymerguy" with your question. he's helped with all sorts of molding "issues" around here.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CrabCrazy
Platinum Member

Herman Darr

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 01:56:32 PM »

i seen about a 2.5lb kit on the Dick Blick web site....think it was about 30 some dollars , and its a 1:1 mix, no scale meeded

Rhasputin
Platinum Member

The Expert

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 01:59:49 PM »

Thanks! Looking into all of these leads now. :)

Doug Bridges
Platinum Member

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 02:22:02 PM »

If you are making something to sell, then wouldn't it be worth investing in a product that provides good release from your casting material and stands up to long use without deteriorating?

If so, then look at a platinum silicone material. I would point you towards Sortaclear 40 from Smooth-on. It has good body (firmness) and is, as the name says, Sorta Clear. That helps you when you need to cut the mold, you can see through the material and guide your knife. But you also said cheap. Again, you get what you pay for when it comes to mold making. Go cheap and you have to remake your cheap mold many times before you wear a well made mold using a good, and yes, not so cheap rubber.

Check out tfbplastics.com or Smooth-On.com for spec sheets on sortaclear.

Doug Bridges
The Village Taxidermist
www.villagetaxidermist.com
I sell Smooth-On Products and S&S Fleshing Machines
Mold Making and Casting Services for Taxidermists and Beyond!
Ravenson
Gold Member

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 06:54:20 PM »

You will save money in the long run by going with a good Platinum cure Silicone if you are planing on selling what you make.  Also I find the 1-1mix silicone's to be more cost effective than the silicone putties for production molds.

Jeff

Thegoblintrader.com

pick two
cheep,fast,good

you get want you pay for
Rhasputin
Platinum Member

The Expert

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 08:48:36 PM »

Yeah, I'm thinking that for the main purposes, the high quality stuff is really what I need.

I am trying out latex molding tonight. Slow going, but I think it will work for this particular mold.
Still looking around for the right size silicone materials.

Thanks guys. :)

Doug Bridges
Platinum Member

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 07:14:13 AM »

A sample size of sortaclear runs $35 or so. It's  a pint kit (pint A, pint B). That will make a few small molds for you depending on volume if your mold.

Doug Bridges
The Village Taxidermist
txoutdoors
Platinum Member

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 08:28:42 AM »

I have playing around with molding and casting for some time now and there are a few things I have learned:
1) It's not cheap to do.....period.
2) If you skimp on materials, you will be sorry

I have tried the alginate and Wallmart silicone.....you might get 1 good pull if your lucky. Stick with the good stuff and you will get good results, but it does cost.

Just spent $300 buying SmoothOn products yesterday for 1 large peice I am working on. I hated to spend that much, but.....I know it will turn out well in the end!

Rhasputin
Platinum Member

The Expert

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 10:52:04 AM »

Great points, everyone.
I guess when I think about it, if I buy a $300 kit, with the small scale I'm working on, I would be able to make hundreds of molds out of it. So really, what am I paying? $1? $2 per mold? ;)

Doug Bridges
Platinum Member

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 01:20:06 PM »

I think he spent $300 total. That's a bunch more than 1 kit.
If you purchase a gallon of good platinum silicone (that's a gallon of A and a gallon of B) you can expect to pay $175 at the high end for the product. That's a bunch of molds for jewelry sized components.

Well said TX. It ain't cheap to do it right. But, the money is well spent.

Doug Bridges
The Village Taxidermist
CrabCrazy
Platinum Member

Herman Darr

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 01:57:16 PM »

if you spent on a gallon of silicone for what you want to do....it would go bad because of the shelf life.....buy smaller kits like doug suggested...that 2.5 lb kit i mentioned earlier is a Smooth On product

Rhasputin
Platinum Member

The Expert

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 02:15:59 PM »

if you spent on a gallon of silicone for what you want to do....it would go bad because of the shelf life.....buy smaller kits like doug suggested...that 2.5 lb kit i mentioned earlier is a Smooth On product

I didn't even realize it would go bad! Thanks!
What is the shelf life like on those products? A year? 6 Months?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Molding and Casting  |  Topic: Cheap flexible molding material? « previous next »