Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 27, 2014, 07:01:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1604805 Posts in 189296 Topics by 42844 Members
Latest Member: grumboli
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Molding and Casting  |  Topic: Cheap flexible molding material? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Cheap flexible molding material?  (Read 8872 times)
CrabCrazy
Platinum Member

Herman Darr

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 02:40:01 PM »

about 5-6 months ..i had resin last years and some 2 months......it starts going bad once you pop the lid....the smooth on site gives you the shelf life of all there products

Mounting Game and fish since 1958...retired since 2010
Doug Bridges
Platinum Member

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 03:03:14 PM »

The manufacture says around a 6 month shelf life.
But, if you clean the lid/sealing surface of the container and if you use Extendit, you can expect much better shelf life. But, yes, plan on using the product within 6 to 9 months.

I know I have had some product on the shelf for over a year and still used it.

So, if you are only going to use a small amount of product, get the trial kit and use it up first.

Doug Bridges
The Village Taxidermist
www.villagetaxidermist.com
I sell Smooth-On Products and S&S Fleshing Machines
Mold Making and Casting Services for Taxidermists and Beyond!
Rhasputin
Platinum Member

The Expert

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 03:09:22 PM »

Thanks!

A single pair of hands at work accomplishes more than a billion clasped in prayer.
boarhunter67
Platinum Member

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2012, 06:35:42 PM »

I have playing around with molding and casting for some time now and there are a few things I have learned:
1) It's not cheap to do.....period.
2) If you skimp on materials, you will be sorry

I have tried the alginate and Wallmart silicone.....you might get 1 good pull if your lucky. Stick with the good stuff and you will get good results, but it does cost.

Just spent $300 buying SmoothOn products yesterday for 1 large peice I am working on. I hated to spend that much, but.....I know it will turn out well in the end!
  I haven't tried SmoothOn, but I've heard it's great.  However, I'm not sure I agree that you get one good pour with cheap stuff.  I have molds that I made with ordinary, super cheap, silicone from Home Depot/Walmart, thinned with Xylene, with some acrylic paint added.  They work great for what I used them on (bison horns, fish, etc.).   I've poured many times from the same mold and as long as I use mold release everytime they work fine without sticking.  I've made $500 worth of fish from one mold and the last was as good as the first.  I'm sure eventually they break down, but certainly not after one pour.
Mostly Fantasy

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 12:36:03 AM »

You can extend the life of resin with nitrogen gas- I think that's the main ingredient in X-tend, but probably cheaper.  I buy a tank at a local welding supply.  I've used resin that's 6 years old.  Same with silicone.  Platinum molds (vs tin) have a longer shelf life, but don't wear latex rubber gloves, as the sulfur used to vulcanize them (the gloves) will inhibit the silicone- same goes for masking tape.  It's not as sensitive as it used to be, but can still give you problems.  I don't even mix my tin and platinum silicones in the same buckets, or with the same mixers- I keep 2 sets, one for each type of silicone.  You'd also benefit from a vacuum chamber to de-air the mixed silicone (pulls the air bubbles out from mixing the base and catalyst together).
beaker

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2012, 10:43:49 AM »

There is a little bit of a misnomer about silicone caulk being cheaper than regular silicone mold making compound... G.E. Silicone caulk which is fairly well known for being a good caulk is about $6 per tube give or take (yes I know there is even cheaper caulk out there) ... this tube is 10 oz or $.60 per ounce... then you need to process it with thinner (additional $$$$) and acrylic if you want it to cure decently fast... which still might not cure completely in thicker sections (additional $$$$), then you will still use mold release....
In the gallon size, Mold Star 15, which is platinum cured... which is archival (30+ years library life), needs no additional processing, 1:1 mix by volume... actually made for mold making, needing no mold release and able to be used for casting in 4 hours or less... is $.60  per ounce...  Sometimes it is just a matter of prospective...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 02:51:32 PM by beaker » Logged

http://www.smooth-on.com
Mind Blowing Materials for a World of Applications!
Doug Bridges
Platinum Member

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2012, 02:57:50 PM »

Great point Beaker. Another good one is someone using alginate because it's cheap.

Alginate is around $10 to $11 per pound.
Moldstar is around $9.60 per pound.

Silicone is, in some cases, cheaper than alginate. Whoda thunk it?

Doug Bridges
The Village Taxidermist
www.villagetaxidermist.com
I sell Smooth-On Products and S&S Fleshing Machines
Mold Making and Casting Services for Taxidermists and Beyond!
Rhasputin
Platinum Member

The Expert

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2012, 02:58:47 PM »

More great info, thank you all very much.

A single pair of hands at work accomplishes more than a billion clasped in prayer.
boarhunter67
Platinum Member

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2012, 03:54:04 PM »

There is a little bit of a misnomer about silicone caulk being cheaper than regular silicone mold making compound... G.E. Silicone caulk which is fairly well known for being a good caulk is about $6 per tube give or take (yes I know there is even cheaper caulk out there) ... this tube is 10 oz or $.60 per ounce... then you need to process it with thinner (additional $$$$) and acrylic if you want it to cure decently fast... which still might not cure completely in thicker sections (additional $$$$), then you will still use mold release....
In the gallon size, Mold Star 15, which is platinum cured... which is archival (30+ years library life), needs no additional processing, 1:1 mix by volume... actually made for mold making, needing no mold release and able to be used for casting in 4 hours or less... is $.60  per ounce...  Sometimes it is just a matter of prospective...
  I've never used it, but if it's inexpensive, I would like to try.  As I said, I usually use cheap silicone or fix all.  Can I just pour it over a fish, cut a release incision, and take the fish out?  Where can I purchase it?  I'm hoping the shipping doesn't make it cost prohibitive. 
CrabCrazy
Platinum Member

Herman Darr

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2012, 04:14:33 PM »

boarhunter67

another silicone company....i order from smooth-on myself...as its close to me

http://www.brickintheyard.com/

boarhunter67
Platinum Member

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2012, 05:35:14 PM »

boarhunter67

another silicone company....i order from smooth-on myself...as its close to me

http://www.brickintheyard.com/
I looked on the site and didn't see Mold Star 15.  I saw some tin and platinum silicones, but don't know the difference between the two.  Currently, I use cheap $4 silicone thinned with xylene and pour or paint it over fish or horns without having to measure grams and such.  You said there was a cheaper alternative that works better. What is it, where can I buy it, and is it as easy to use without having to measure out a bunch of stuff, and can I put it on super thick like the cheap stuff?
CrabCrazy
Platinum Member

Herman Darr

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2012, 05:52:33 PM »

what i meant to say, if shipping is a concern....pick a place that is close to you...smooth-on has mold star 15 the link i sent has different names...but still sell platinum and tin silicone's...i too have used cheap 100% silicone thinned to mold small objects, like crab parts and oyster shells,etc

boarhunter67
Platinum Member

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2012, 11:46:27 PM »

So would tin or platinum silicone be best for molding a whole fish?  If I like to put it on super thick, it will still hold a lot of detail and cure okay and be easy to remove from the fish?
Heck
Platinum Member

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2012, 12:02:44 AM »

marking
 :)

There is a fine line between confidence and cockyness!
CrabCrazy
Platinum Member

Herman Darr

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2012, 12:28:26 AM »

i know Mold Max 30 with an accelerator can be used over frozen specimens...some of the other silicone's can't set if moisture is present or clay that has sulphur in it...
.but mold max is not a 1:1 mix. get a hold of Doug Bridges on the forum, i know he has the answers

Dondi on here has some posts on molding..heres one i found

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,166595.0.html
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 01:03:07 AM by CrabCrazy » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Molding and Casting  |  Topic: Cheap flexible molding material? « previous next »