Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 30, 2014, 01:12:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1597684 Posts in 188364 Topics by 42672 Members
Latest Member: TomR
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: Look what i just get to articulate! « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Look what i just get to articulate!  (Read 2989 times)
Call me Robert
Silver Member

« on: February 19, 2012, 11:00:30 AM »

Yes I'm pretty excited about that bat.
I have seen that one of you did have a bat skeleton.
Any advice on "how to not f*ck things up"?
I would never forgive myself for destroying such a uncommon skeleton.
And no it isn't that huge fruit bat as you can see on the pictures.
even new born rat has bigger carpal!

* DSC07084.JPG (107.39 kB, 1396x955 - viewed 656 times.)
Call me Robert
Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 11:01:55 AM »

and one more

* DSC07083.JPG (126.32 kB, 979x1174 - viewed 663 times.)
Call me Robert
Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 11:02:19 AM »

and another one

* DSC07086.JPG (118.18 kB, 1546x756 - viewed 657 times.)
rjward1775

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 01:40:52 PM »

Good luck

I've done some metal sculptures with similar wings.
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.218925741489590.48095.188773484504816&type=3

This is the album if you want to see.
Call me Robert
Silver Member

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 02:56:54 PM »

Thanks.
Wings of your sculptures are great. It could be a great dragon but you have to work on the rest of the body.
rjward1775

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 04:29:01 PM »

Thanks.

I am actually working on some different methods for the body that should work better than the one you saw.
Guus
Gold Member

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 03:44:19 AM »

They are fun to work on and their skeletons are wonderful. Do you have beetles? Otherwise I wouldn't start with it. The bones are so thin and the skeleton as a whole so delicate that I don't think another technique than beetles will work. Skin it carefully and watch out not to break any bones, take out the guts and let it dry for a day. Feed it and keep a close eye on it since the beetles love their meat and it will be stripped in a couple of hours. When the meat is gone they start directly with the cartilage so take it out in time. Whiten in H2O2 and degrease in acetone. A smart thing to do is to take like 40 really tiny larvae from your beetle box and let them clean the skeleton, the big ones might destroy it. Take a look at my website, there are a couple more pictures there.

Call me Robert
Silver Member

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 02:12:00 PM »

Thanks Guus for reply.
I don't have beetles colony because I macerate everything but I will use fly larvae. They are as good as beetles.
It's really hard to obtain bat in Poland because they are legally protected so there's no telling about any trading, but permission for dead one is easy to get.
I'm tempted to make it on a stance in some usual for bats position like sleeping up side down or something but I'm afraid of breaking some bones. Should I even attempt to? I will start it some other day. Now I have some other skeletons to work on.
Sea Wolf
Platinum Member

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 07:28:48 AM »

Maggots (fly larva) wll destroy the skeleton. They will not leave it articulated.

Guus
Gold Member

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 10:38:57 AM »

Yeah, you can't compare maggots with dermestids, they work completely different. Maggots are not as careful as (young) beetle larvae and they will leave a disgusting kind of slime on the remains. Ants and maggots are not preferred by me for any skull or skeleton. You will definitively destroy the bat with them. If you clean it with beetle larvae you'll be able to position it in every pose that you want after whitening. The ligaments will be flexible and you can let it dry in your preferred position.

Call me Robert
Silver Member

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 01:49:03 PM »

Thanks for straightening that for me. I didn't used maggots before. I think I will have to macerate it really carefully, checking everyday removing bits of flesh every time.
Sea Wolf
Platinum Member

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 08:36:48 PM »

Thanks for straightening that for me. I didn't used maggots before. I think I will have to macerate it really carefully, checking everyday removing bits of flesh every time.

Please get some beetles for this .. or even send it to someone with them to be cleaned for you. Even maceration will cause the skeleton to fall apart and it will be a nightmare to put back together (if at all). This seems to be a prized specimen for you. Do what you can to keep it intact. Even if it costs you money. You said they were rare for you. You may never get another.

Call me Robert
Silver Member

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 04:50:15 AM »

It's a common species in Poland(Eptesicus serotinus) but it's law protected and it's really hard to find one dead. It was luck in badluck. they were dieing in tens because of cold. I have seen winter like this about 20 years ago. This time it was -86 F degree.
I can't get dermestidae because no one in Poland(except me) articulates skeletons.
I can never get another. That's correct but I can't wait to see it's finished.
I need to have some free time to even think about starting it so it will still chilling out in the freezer.
Guus
Gold Member

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 05:52:02 AM »

Yes it is not easy to get bats, they often die in places you'll never find them. Don't work with maceration therefore, if this one is special to you. There is no way you can keep it together, when the skin and guts are gone there is really not much left and their bones are extremely tiny. Even with beetles I sometimes have the cartilage eaten which degrades the stability a lot. My advice would also be to send it to someone that has beetles or get them yourself, but clean and articulate at least 30 mice before you start with this one so you get some experience, this is a different level.

Call me Robert
Silver Member

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 06:22:44 AM »

Maybe I will wait to summer and then collect some dermestidae for breeding.
I live just next to forest so I often have some beetle guests. It's hopeless!
even if I would send it to you Guus, I'm afraid it would not survive shipping.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: Look what i just get to articulate! « previous next »