Anybody ever lie to their customers?
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 19, 2014, 04:00:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1631951 Posts in 193631 Topics by 43722 Members
Latest Member: Hunter84
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  General Discussions  |  The Taxidermy Industry  |  Topic: Anybody ever lie to their customers? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Anybody ever lie to their customers?  (Read 3345 times)
double barrel
Platinum Member

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 05:12:06 PM »

Some interesting replies here, thanks. There's a few I haven't thought about. However, the question wasn't what to do with the bear once I got the job. As I said, I have no doubt I could have done a good job for him. The question is , "How do I make him feel compfortable enough to let me have the job, without lying?  Hi, how much do you charge for a lifesize bear? Quote price. How long would it be before I got it back? Quote time. I'd like to see some of your work, have you done bears before? Now the lying starts. Hell yea man, I've done at least 400 black bears.LOL!
Do you have any pictures? "Oh , well, let me see, ah! Oh, My shop caught on fire last year and burned up all my photo albums.Lol! Sometimes I kill myself LOL! I think I'm gonna use that next time.
   At least I got my answer. It's just like I figured. People will take in a mount they've never done before. AND, I agree with it, if a taxi-D is a good un, It's like Marty said, with research and work, a person can turn out a good piece even if it's a first. IMHO   D.B., "the lying taxidermist"
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2012, 12:32:02 AM »

Are you a priest taking confessions? Why bother explaining anything to a customer unless you have doubts about your own ability to pull it off. Its not a lie if you keep your mouth shut.

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
Marty Dupertuis
Platinum Member

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2012, 08:44:36 AM »

Are you a priest taking confessions? Why bother explaining anything to a customer unless you have doubts about your own ability to pull it off. Its not a lie if you keep your mouth shut.

I agree.  When I take a car to a mechanic, I don't require a resume and proof he has worked on my make and model of car.  If you know it is within your ability, take it in.  If not, turn it down and get some training so you can do it next time.  If they require proof and pictures, don't lie or make up stories.  The truth is the only right answer.  If you have the skill to pull it off sell that, but be honest.  I survived and thrived for 7 years as an Air Force recruiter.  It would have been easier to lie, but was much better off in the long run and in building a good reputation to just be honest and believe in what you are selling.....in this case your ability as an artist.  JMO
Old Fart
Platinum Member

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2012, 09:01:28 AM »

I lied to a customer a couple weeks ago. He called and asked about having a "huge" northern pike mounted......48", 30 pounds+. When he showed up with the frozen fish I could see right away it couldn't possibly be 48". I opened the package an got my tape out.....41"! His reaction was, "Wow, they sure do shrink a lot when you freeze them!"  I said "yep they sure do"(lie). They don't shrink "that" much. Then I asked about his "scale"......well the weight was a "estimate"....."but it had to be close to 30 pounds".  My answer, "Possibly"(lie) It might make 20 "IF" it was full.....it wasn't! Of course I lie to my customers! What am I supposed to say when they ask if that 18" bass will go 5 pounds......"No way, you moron, it's barely over 3 pounds!"?   "Close" is a better answer, but it's still a lie!

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Marty Dupertuis
Platinum Member

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2012, 09:33:27 AM »

OK, fishing stories are exempt from the lying rule I guess............
antlerman
Platinum Member

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2012, 10:23:53 AM »

The truth and fishing stories. equals oxymoron
Justin P.
Platinum Member

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2012, 11:10:22 AM »

Just give me the damn skin, some foam clay, and eyes.  That's what I tell them.

The "firsts" are usually the best pieces.  Familiarity breeds contempt     
M.T.
Platinum Member

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2012, 05:10:50 PM »

All you guys are right. No one should ever lie to anyone about anything, but it happens. I cannot go a day without lieing about something. Just try it, if you are awake 18 hours a day and talking to people, just try not to lie, it is very hard to do. I just happen to be quite a salesman when someone called on the phone and wanted something mounted. I never turned away work. I've told some bull$hit over the years and never had it come back and bite me in the A$$! I knew in my mind that I could do anything and still make it look good.  I've been told by customers that I have so many bull$hit excuses for not having something done on time, but when it finally is done they tell me it was worth the wait.  I'll bet there isn't a person on this forum that doesn't lie about something on a daily basis.
KMA
Platinum Member

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2012, 06:37:48 PM »

Its not a lie if you keep your mouth shut.
Actually, you can in fact lie by keeping your mouth shut George. Withholding information that could or should be proffered or volunteered is called "Lying by Omission".   Just sayin'...carry on. :)

"Sometimes all you really need in life to make you happy is a hug, a really good cup of coffee and five million dollars."
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2012, 06:52:57 PM »

KMA, perhaps you don't know me well enough yet, but English is my primary language and I'm arrogant as hell about how it's used and interpreted.  Not THAT definition of "lying" is the most cockamamie distortion of a definition I've EVER heard.  Lying is an OVERT action COMMITTED by a person either verbally or written.  Now if you're using a stressed biblical interpretation, you may "sin" by "thought, word, and deed", but it still won't get you to the definition you're trying to imply.

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
Taflinger
Platinum Member

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2012, 07:50:34 PM »

Just steal someone else's pictures off of a website and claim them as your work. It happens all the time here.  :P
antlerman
Platinum Member

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2012, 11:04:01 PM »

http://www.taxidermyschool.net/

You mean like this guy?  Fella was here over the weekend that attended this school. You remember. The one where all of our mounts were posted on his website? Yeah..that guy. Guy that was here said it was a TOTAL waste of time and money. He signed up to study with Yox, but when that had to be cancelled, guy still wanted to come study with me. I offered him a satifaction guarentee or his money back. He left a happy camper. Said he learned more in the first 4 hours than he did with Jones in 4 weeks. Then to read what he says about us and the prices we charge, I guess he is right about one thing..........you DON"T always get what you pay for. His school and product sound like just such a case of not getting your money's worth.
double barrel
Platinum Member

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2012, 05:43:51 AM »

iF YOU'VE EVER BEEN ACCUSED OF "LYING THRU YOUR TOOTH", YOU MIGHT BE A REDNECK. oR A TAXIDERMIS
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  General Discussions  |  The Taxidermy Industry  |  Topic: Anybody ever lie to their customers? « previous next »