Advertising
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 28, 2014, 07:04:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1626295 Posts in 192658 Topics by 43529 Members
Latest Member: FluffyGerbil
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Advertising « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Advertising  (Read 1270 times)
Little Dreamer
Bronze Member

« on: February 24, 2012, 03:42:21 PM »

I am pretty New to the Taxidermy world, been in business for 2 years now. Im trying to figure out where my money is most wisley invested as far as Advertising. I know there is a lot of Taxidermists out there and around my area. I want to be able to reach more people than those on Facebook. Not saying Facebook is bad, but I dont think I am reaching everyone else that may not use Facebook.

Just wondering if anyone out there has had better luck with one method or another as far as advertising taxidermy services to the general public goes!!

Thanks for your replies, anything will help.

Im always willing to learn and listen to those with Knowledge to give and experiences to back it up.

Dakota Hills
Gold Member

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 06:48:43 PM »

If you are just getting started ,,, you may as well save your money. Once you get your work out there and are doing a good job at it ,,word of mouth will be your best form of advertising.
Reapers Taxidermy

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 07:26:03 PM »

Business cards, local head shows and word of mouth works well in smaller towns. It's been a few years since I was through Rice, I'm assuming it's still a small town
Marty Homan

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 09:50:24 AM »

I just started out this year and moved to a new area right before deer season. Most of the customers came from an article a local paper did on my new shop in the area. I called them and asked if they would be interested in doing a story on me and they said sure, most small papers will always do this. It was free advertising you can't beat that.
Richbo
Gold Member

2nd place is the first loser!

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 07:01:20 PM »

Word of mouth is working well for me.  If you do good work, your name will get out there and the customers will come.  I feel that is the "cheapest" way of advertising for someone who is starting out and has a limited budget. 

Spirit of the Wild Taxidermy
papagoose
Gold Member

papagoose and goslings

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 12:06:57 AM »

i put up fliers like the ones you see selling stuff and put my name and phone number on the bottom of it i put them everywhere i could think of every gas station restaurant dinner just everywhere it works well lots of people look at that stuff

Papagoose
RoyalOaksTaxidermy
Platinum Member

Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 12:39:22 PM »

Decal your truck... I did the doors and the tailgate... it was the best advertising to get people to notice the "new taxi" back when word of mouth needed mouths to spread the word...

Decals
Website
word of mouth

My name is Rae :)
 I'm located in Elk Grove, California
Specialize in mammals.
Non-TypicalArtist
Silver Member

ABOVE Expectations. BEYOND Ordinary.

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 08:17:20 AM »

Here's the skinny on Advertising and Marketing. There is no silver bullet! Any and all helps get your name out there. The tough part of this business is selling yourself and the pay off. It is a different animal than most. You may a client that is really excited about your services, lives local and looking for a taxidermist. The unfortunate part is he may not kill something worthy of mounting for 4-5 years! The biggest advice I can give is to remember to ask each contact where and how they came across you. Remember to thank those who referred you. They are always the best and cheapest!!
But by asking you are finding out where you best advertising dollars are being spent. You need to be in peoples faces and getting your name out there in a positive manner. Bad press carries much farther than good. Keep that in mind - and do your very best with every project big and small.
But websites, trade shows, donations to organizations (SCI etc.) banquets, business cards, displays at local sporting shops, print ads, PR in local newspapers etc. Another key function to advertising is give people a reason to call or hang on to your ad or promotion (and it needs to look professional - remember it is representing your quality and your business!!). When you place an ad. Most likely people wont respond the moment they see it. But if you give them a reason to cut it out and hang on to it. The more likely it will produce. Examples, might be... entry into a big buck contest - winner cash or free mount, % off mount, % off 1st mount, FREE knife with ad and first mount, some type of cheap but decent giveaway. Anything that will make them keep your ad for the moment they do need to contact you. Good luck - feel free to pm or email me with marketing questions. I have only been doing it for a short 17+ years...

Non-Typical Wildlife Artistry, LLC
Christie
Silver Member

Instructor, Consultant & Speaker

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 10:13:22 AM »

Here's the skinny on Advertising and Marketing. There is no silver bullet! Any and all helps get your name out there. The tough part of this business is selling yourself and the pay off. It is a different animal than most. You may a client that is really excited about your services, lives local and looking for a taxidermist. The unfortunate part is he may not kill something worthy of mounting for 4-5 years! The biggest advice I can give is to remember to ask each contact where and how they came across you. Remember to thank those who referred you. They are always the best and cheapest!!
But by asking you are finding out where you best advertising dollars are being spent. You need to be in peoples faces and getting your name out there in a positive manner. Bad press carries much farther than good. Keep that in mind - and do your very best with every project big and small.
But websites, trade shows, donations to organizations (SCI etc.) banquets, business cards, displays at local sporting shops, print ads, PR in local newspapers etc. Another key function to advertising is give people a reason to call or hang on to your ad or promotion (and it needs to look professional - remember it is representing your quality and your business!!). When you place an ad. Most likely people wont respond the moment they see it. But if you give them a reason to cut it out and hang on to it. The more likely it will produce. Examples, might be... entry into a big buck contest - winner cash or free mount, % off mount, % off 1st mount, FREE knife with ad and first mount, some type of cheap but decent giveaway. Anything that will make them keep your ad for the moment they do need to contact you. Good luck - feel free to pm or email me with marketing questions. I have only been doing it for a short 17+ years...

Ditto.  Also - make sure to treat your existing customers at least as good or better than you treat any new ones.  Acknowledge and appreciate any referrals that you do get.  And when it comes to spending money, spend it on the things that will have the most impact/longevity first.  A car decal will cost $100-200 and will be in front of everyone you drive by from the day you have it put on until the day you take it off.  A newspaper ad will be in the bottom of the litter box or skinning table by the next morning.  Also think about community events.  Sponsoring a community event (t-ball team, fundraiser, etc.) will not only put your name in front of people, but it will also show that you care about your community, which has a whole different kind of impact.

Word of mouth advertising only works if you have enough mouths out there saying enough of the right things.  It takes time to build up.  You could go out of business waiting for word of mouth to become predictable enough to make a living on it.  Be proactive about getting business, and your bank account will reflect that activity.

Christie Mahany-Czarnecki
Business & Marketing Consultant for Taxidermists
(814) 796-6320 Home (814) 440-1269 Cell
Andy's Taxidermy
Silver Member

better late than never

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 06:21:59 PM »

well the biggest thing that has helped me has been establishing good relationships with processors in the area...more than 80 percent of my business comes referred from one of the processors here locally...i cut them a deal on a mount they hang it in the shop...i get 20-30 customers...im a happy camper...only other things i have done are logo on my truck and business cards....word of mouth is just now kicking in...im in my 3rd year of taking in customer work and ive increased over 100% each year...

WORK is for people that cant FISH!!!!!!!!!
rigbobby
Bronze Member

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 11:44:11 PM »

Keep your customers happy by delivering on your word.  If you tell them it will take 6 months to get the mount back to them - get it back in 6 months.  Many taxidermists start out and take in so much work they can't deliver on the completion date.  It is possible to put your shop out of business by taking in too much work, especially if the price is incorrect and not calculated to provide a profit.
Dennis Bragg
Platinum Member

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 08:57:07 PM »

Best advertising thing I have done is constantly trying to improve the quality of my work.
pir^2h
Platinum Member

Retrievers give you the bird

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 09:42:29 PM »

Most of the customers came from an article a local paper did on my new shop in the area. I called them and asked if they would be interested in doing a story on me and they said sure, most small papers will always do this. It was free advertising you can't beat that.

I am not in the taxidermy business (only a hobbyist) but when I opened my electronics repair shop many years ago, this is exactly what I did.   I also took out a small ad under the article with a coupon (with an expiration date!).  From then on I had all the work I could handle until I closed the business a couple years after I switched professions to teaching math.  Sometimes I wonder if it was a moment of insanity that I did this but I love teaching and not having to deal with the public any longer to make a living.  Good luck to you!

\\\"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"///
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Advertising « previous next »