Need a hand here...
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 22, 2014, 03:38:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1632654 Posts in 193758 Topics by 43745 Members
Latest Member: mirageroland
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Deer and Gameheads  |  Topic: Need a hand here... « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Need a hand here...  (Read 1797 times)
3bears
Platinum Member

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 06:58:02 PM »

You guys think that will work on this one? It looks to me that the hair follicles have already come out of the skin. It looks like more than just loose. I would throw in the towel on this one. I am fortunate, I haven't had anything this bad to date. 3bears
Matt
Platinum Member

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 07:05:14 PM »

The clay paste will help to lay it down if you can get the skin taxied around properly. I agree with what most have said about the possibilty of the cape being handled improperly. One thing that is a no no is to roll a fresh cape up and toss it in the freezer. You are trapping alot of heat that can cause problems when the cape is thawed out. Ron hit it on the head, cool a fresh cape down first before rolling it up and freezing it.

3bears
Platinum Member

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 09:05:58 PM »

If they are fresh, they get fleshed and salted asap. It may be a late night but that is life. 3bears
Matt
Platinum Member

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 10:06:20 PM »

I am with you on that one 3bears. No wts go in the freezer here, they all get caped, turned, and salted reguardless of time. Unless, it's an emergency, I am busy!(LOL)

Low T
Platinum Member

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 10:25:15 PM »

The clay trick has it's advantages, but this cape is past that stage in my opinion. If there were only a small standing patch, I'd cut it out. If the hair in that area comes out super easily, then it will come out with the dried clay when you brush it out, I vote for a new cape. 

And no, I do not own a Tshirt that has a wolf or unicorn on it.
There is no such thing as gun control, only people control.
Stop Rot,,use it or lose it.
Rest well our friend, you are missed.
ChadB

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2012, 11:47:52 PM »

I'm with three bears. It looks to me, it got fleshed to close  and causes the hair to stand up and pull out. I have fleshed hides to close and in that spot it will stand up and slip. Just my 2 cents
Cole
Platinum Member

Amateur Taxidermist

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2012, 11:45:39 AM »

I disagree with the fleshing too close idea. That's not what happened here. I'm also not guaranteeing the clay slurry will work. I'm suggesting it because I think it's your only hope of saving this one. If after 3 weeks you brush all the hair out, then you have to start over. I think you might be surprised though, I've seen some almost that bad turn out just fine.

Cole Cruickshank
Cameron, MO 64429
Doug Montgomery
Platinum Member

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2012, 01:28:13 PM »

x2
3bears
Platinum Member

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2012, 02:47:05 PM »

I am aware that things sometimes aren't as bad as they seem, but I would be in awe to see the clay work on this one. I don't believe it was shaved too thin either. That can be repaired so to speak. Once the cape and glue dry it will lock that hair in. But on this one it looks like it is slipped and the follicles won't get locked down. Good luck to the original poster, 3bears
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Deer and Gameheads  |  Topic: Need a hand here... « previous next »