Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 17, 2014, 07:37:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1609471 Posts in 189966 Topics by 42998 Members
Latest Member: ExTax
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Deer and Gameheads  |  Topic: Best helper yet.... « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Best helper yet....  (Read 1526 times)
michael p.
Platinum Member

Getting better with age :)

« on: February 25, 2012, 03:33:48 PM »

Since Kyle left and I started wholesaling out all fleshing and tanning, things have gotten easier....BUT..... my workload has increased over 25% since last year so I still run in circles trying to keep up.  I've hired 2 part-timers, but both were not really dependable for what I needed.  

Now the Lil'Mexican has taken on a little more and it's working GREAT!  Never thought 10 years ago this would be my right hand man.... but desperate times call for desperate measures! LOL

Now she thinks she's owed half the balance due!  But she is a hell of an elk washer!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 04:22:01 PM by michael p. » Logged

Spent my whole life lookin' back
 Not lookin' ahead to see
 Trying to keep my feet on track
 Doin' what was expected of me
 Kick my shoes off so they can't trace me
 Leave no forwarding address
 Before they all drive me crazy
 And I leave 'em all in a bloody mess
C.C.
JB Outdoors
Bronze Member

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 04:09:52 PM »

Hey white mike! Great helper you got there. Give her a raise.

3bears
Platinum Member

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 04:20:09 PM »

That's great Michael. There are times I wish my wife would help out more. 3bears
Slate Run
Bronze Member

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 04:35:01 PM »

Just curious but does everyone wash their mounts when done and why do you and are there advantages to washing them. (other than the obvious of cleaning them but aren't they clean when you get them back from being tanned) Wouldn't  you be rehydrating them? Just curious
Matt
Platinum Member

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 06:56:22 PM »

Some guys will wash them after mounted and dried if there are oil residues in the hair. I used to have that problem until I switched tanneries. Mike could also be washing an existing mount that was beyond alittle dusting. I'm sure he will chime in.

silverman
Platinum Member

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 10:19:18 PM »

I hope she gets double time for weekends !!!! lol !!
rnviper3
Platinum Member

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 12:42:05 AM »

IM supprised she hasn't asked for the total due.  Its great that she has pitched in to help you out.

michael p.
Platinum Member

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 03:28:33 AM »

Just curious but does everyone wash their mounts when done and why do you and are there advantages to washing them. (other than the obvious of cleaning them but aren't they clean when you get them back from being tanned) Wouldn't  you be rehydrating them? Just curious

It's not necessary to wash mounts, it's just something I do.  In the last 2 weeks I've mounted 3 elk and a buffalo. 2 were wet tanned by my wholesaler, 1 was tanned by myself and one was professionally fur dressed by H&H.  All 4 were still shampooed just before finishing regardless of how they were prepared prior to mounting.  I also do the same thing with all my coyotes, fox, bobcat, etc..

They look fine after mounting and drying, I just really like the softness and sheen I achieve after shampooing, conditioning and drying.  Your shampoo and conditioner is not on longer than a few minutes and most of the moisture is removed immediately by a blower so no, there is no re hydration.

Like I said, I guess it's not really necessary, it's just something I do that I feel completes the finishing process.  I've never had a mount look worse, only better after doing it so I'll continue (or bribe my wife into) doing it.  It really just makes the mount softer and more presentable.  When set in a gameroom with other mounts the client may have had done by say another dermist it's just that little edge I want to make my mount outshine (no pun intended) the others. 

Mine and most of all our business is through word of mouth........gotta do what you can to make yours the cleanest in finished appearance among the others it may be presented with.

Not lookin' ahead to see
C.C.
Slate Run
Bronze Member

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 07:50:31 AM »

Thanks Mike . Definitely makes a lot of sence and I agree ,any little bit you can do to get that little edge above the competition  is worth the effort. Thanks again
michael p.
Platinum Member

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 07:50:43 PM »

Shined up purdy good :)

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Not lookin' ahead to see
C.C.
Doug Montgomery
Platinum Member

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 07:59:47 PM »

MIKE you work hard brother...you deserve a good life. nice job.
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Deer and Gameheads  |  Topic: Best helper yet.... « previous next »