Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 29, 2014, 10:02:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1605161 Posts in 189336 Topics by 42855 Members
Latest Member: ShawnNicole
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Tanning  |  Topic: Fur tanning question « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Fur tanning question  (Read 586 times)
extra764

« on: March 01, 2012, 04:58:07 PM »

Hi,
I recently had a person do fur tanning of an animal that I cared for very much.  I received the fur back yesterday and it reeked of gasoline and the fur was very dirty. I washed it in mild animal shampoo to remove the dirt from the fur and to try to remove the smell.  The water was very dirty and after washing it still smelled very bad.

I called the person this morning and told him it smelled of gasoline and his response was, oh yes, it accidentally fell into a bucket of gasoline but I put it outside in the sun and I thought the smell was gone.

I am upset now to find this out because I was handling the fur with my bare hands and my family was breathing in these fumes the entire night.  Secondly I really cared for this animal and I feel like the fur was not taken care of since it was very dirty when I received it.  Falling into gasoline ok, I understand accidents happen, but to keep that from me is a lie of omission.   

He took the fur and said he would put it in a sawdust barrel to tumble for a few hours and put the fur in the sun afterwards. 

Does any one know if the gasoline will cause future damage to the fur/hide and if the smell will ever go away?  Is is okay if I wash the fur in soap and water?  I'm anticipating that I will receive it back in dirty shape again so it will need to be washed.  Thank you.
WBB793
Bronze Member

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 09:14:55 PM »

Yes accidents happen. I dont understand why that would be by gasoline that it would be able to "fall" into??  Should not have been dirty either. I feel this person does not know what he is doing.  There are things he could do to help with that smell, and he should have been upfront about it.. If he is a real fur dresser he can make this right with you.. Dont use him again unless he goes the extra mile to fix this.
oldshaver
Platinum Member

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 09:26:50 PM »

Yes accidents happen. I dont understand why that would be by gasoline that it would be able to "fall" into??  Should not have been dirty either. I feel this person does not know what he is doing.  There are things he could do to help with that smell, and he should have been upfront about it.. If he is a real fur dresser he can make this right with you.. Dont use him again unless he goes the extra mile to fix this.

DITTO!!!!
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Tanning  |  Topic: Fur tanning question « previous next »