Loosing scales on Crappie
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 30, 2014, 12:42:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1619350 Posts in 191475 Topics by 43275 Members
Latest Member: attractionsarizona
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear! Please Click Here for full details and to enter.
You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: Loosing scales on Crappie « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Loosing scales on Crappie  (Read 5315 times)
fishdude
Bronze Member

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2006, 09:35:56 PM »

For crappies and white bass I cover the fish with table salt (except for the fins) for half an hour or an hour. The salt toughens up the skin and tightens up the scales. Ditto on what everyone else has said about handling the skin carefully. I rinse the salt off before skinning and soak the skin in a zinc sulfate solution while  carving the froms. Usually do 5-8 at a time. A sure fire method that is a little more trouble is to thaw the fish and soak in water long enough to get the slime loose. Spray all the slime off and dry the fish with a towel. Use a hairdryer on no or low heat to dry the show side of the fish taking care to keep the fins moist with wet paper towels. Brush on a coat of rubber cement (from office depot). Be sure to brush on "with the scales" and not over brush. Lay layers of gauze on and brush another coat over than. Allow to air dry and sprinkle with baby powder to remove any stickiness. Skin and mount as usual. Before carding and positioning fins start near the head and carefully peel or roll the gauze off the fish. It does an incredible job of keeping scales in place. Works great on artic grayling too. They make crappie seem easy.
Good luck,
den007
Platinum Member

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2006, 10:23:19 PM »

Here you go Cecil......the bluegill in a recent thread is also a freeze dry. Try Ron once......you will never, ever skin mount a crappie again. If the dentist offers you novacaine, why turn it down my man!

* crap1.jpg (40.31 kB, 800x600 - viewed 508 times.)

Dennis Murawska
Angler's Art Taxidermy
"To live is not necessary...
To fish is necessary."   Latin inscription
den007
Platinum Member

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2006, 10:26:23 PM »

By the way, very little of what you see on that crappie is paint!

Dennis Murawska
Angler's Art Taxidermy
Auggie
Gold Member

Startem young

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2006, 01:03:14 AM »

I also soak in denatured alcohol and then skin on a wet glass surface. Cut the meat out in chunks as has been said and keep the bending to a minimum. If you have a good clearcoat on you end product, a scale or two missing will never be noticed by your customer anyway.
Cecil
Platinum Member

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2006, 11:16:16 PM »

Here you go Cecil......the bluegill in a recent thread is also a freeze dry. Try Ron once......you will never, ever skin mount a crappie again. If the dentist offers you novacaine, why turn it down my man!

How about the whole crappie like the tail junction etc?

I'll still skin them out because I honestly don't see what the big deal is. I have them mounted and drying the day after I receive them and no overhead to someone else. It doesn't get any better than that. To each his own.

My biggest fear is dying and my wife selling all of my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it.
Auggie
Gold Member

Startem young

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2006, 10:37:49 AM »

Another key Cecil! Freshness. I forgot to mention it in my last post. I have noticed that when I pick up a new wholesale customer that has crappies that have rolled around in the freezer for 1 plus years they are more apt to lose scales than the fresh ones. I use the best of both worlds on mine now. After mounting conventionally, I put them in my freezedryer. Saves a ton of rebuilding time.
Cecil
Platinum Member

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2006, 12:14:42 PM »

Another key Cecil! Freshness. I forgot to mention it in my last post. I have noticed that when I pick up a new wholesale customer that has crappies that have rolled around in the freezer for 1 plus years they are more apt to lose scales than the fresh ones. I use the best of both worlds on mine now. After mounting conventionally, I put them in my freezedryer. Saves a ton of rebuilding time.

I specialize in fish and have been doing them for 24 years. I've seen it all and I contend there isn't a fish that can't be rehydrated -- even a crappie. I got one in last year that had been wrapped in newspaper for several years. It was extra work but scale loss was minimal and it turned out great. The key to skinning out dried out fish is to rehydrate, open them up, rehydrate some more untl the entire fish is skinned out and rehyrated. I also use the half cast method and wouldn't consider any other way of mounting them.

My biggest fear is dying and my wife selling all of my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it.
den007
Platinum Member

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2006, 08:44:03 PM »

Here you go Cecil.....not the best lighting, but you can see the entire fish body is perfect and there is no rebuilding to be done. I'm with you Auggie! I also do nothing but fish, and Ron has one of the best commercial freeze dry operations going. I take no pride in aggravating myself with these fish, or glued scales or whatever. I just want to get the fish back to the customer in the best way I can, as quickly as I can, with as little work as I can and maxiimum profit. The "overhead" of paying someone to do this ups my profit for my most precious commodity......TIME!

* crappy2.JPG (37.21 kB, 800x600 - viewed 460 times.)

Dennis Murawska
Angler's Art Taxidermy
scot14222

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2012, 04:29:04 PM »

Is ethanol  the same as denatured spirits?
FishArt
Platinum Member

Marty & Son Cass Lake Minnesota

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2012, 03:51:21 PM »

Dennis, I've only seen a couple of fish up close that were freeze dried and the person doing it obviously didn't know what he was doing. You could see small indents where the fish dried differently. And, of course you're reliant on the talent of somebody else to position the fish. Your crappie looks pretty good as far as positioning goes. And from what I can see, no problems. But if you hold up to the light sideways and look across the body is it a nice, smooth, curved surface (no indents)? A couple of the fins IMO could have been tighter to the body and flared out a bit more, but overall certainly acceptable from a commercial taxidermy standpoint.

My biggest concerns with sending any fish out for work would first and foremost be the lack of control. What if it gets lost in the mail? Is the positioning consistent? What are the costs to have it freeze-dried and the costs associated with packaging and shipping it to your guy and then back to you (plus your time doing that). Is there any UPS add-ons when receiving your completed mount? (Damage). I would bet for somebody like me it MIGHT be cost-effective??? But, I'll bet for Cecil - who can skin out 12 fish in a day, that it would not. (I wonder how many Cecil can mount in a day!)  I could see using this service IF I had plenty of backlog and was behind on my work. I probably have 3-4 hours into a crappie to skin it and have it mounted to the stage your freeze-dried fish is at. So, if it's under say a hundred bucks to have this done (out the door, shipping costs and everything), it's probably worth considering. Any more than that and I'd probably do it myself regardless of how far behind I was. JMO...

"FishArt"
Marty Shimkus
Fish Specialties Taxidermy
Shorewood, Illinois
www.FishSpecialties.NET
Cecil
Platinum Member

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2012, 08:00:42 PM »

Marty,

You do realize it may take Dennis a while to respond as he made his posts six years ago right? Hell for all we know he may not be doing taxidermy anymore!

:D :D :D

FishArt
Platinum Member

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2012, 09:33:01 PM »

Marty,

You do realize it may take Dennis a while to respond as he made his posts six years ago right? Hell for all we know he may not be doing taxidermy anymore!

:D :D :D

LOL - No I didn't!!! Apparently, Scott had been searching the archives and commented and brought it up again! Damn Greenhorns!!!! LOL!

Ahh, maybe Dennis has is notification on... Is there anybody out there???

"FishArt"
Marty Shimkus
Shorewood, Illinois
www.FishSpecialties.NET
Brian W
Platinum Member

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2012, 11:22:17 AM »

;D.......lol...........oh Denny is still kicking and doing taxidermy....its MARTY we have to worry about now.....stay away from the Jager bombs....... ;D
FishArt
Platinum Member

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2012, 12:37:43 PM »

;D.......lol...........oh Denny is still kicking and doing taxidermy....its MARTY we have to worry about now.....stay away from the Jager bombs....... ;D

Brian, I barfed a little in my mouth just from the thought - lol!

"FishArt"
Marty Shimkus
Shorewood, Illinois
www.FishSpecialties.NET
Jeremy Smith

God,guns,and guts made america;lets keep all three

« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2012, 11:20:48 PM »

I have tried the alcohol and the glue and my preference is the elmers glue. I had two crappie to do for a customer and did the test on them glue looked 100% better.

I am with the South in life or in death, in victory or defeat.  General Patrick R.Cleburne
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: Loosing scales on Crappie « previous next »