Unwelcome little friends!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2014, 07:07:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1617940 Posts in 191222 Topics by 43226 Members
Latest Member: Twin Taxidermy
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Habitat and Exhibit  |  Topic: Unwelcome little friends! « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Unwelcome little friends!  (Read 5469 times)
Nancy C
Platinum Member

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2012, 12:16:39 PM »

Well ... I have been drying as well as de-bugging driftwood in the oven for decades, and it has been very effective.
I set the oven at 275F. and leave the wood in for a minimum of 2 to 3 hours, even longer for bigger pieces.  I try to do it in batches since I don't like the smell of toasting driftwood.
(I am even less fond of the smell of insecticide!) I leave it in until it is bone dry and it stays hot to the touch for quite a while.

Note: I have an electric oven; 'not sure if a gas oven would be safe at any temperature, and I don't think I would even try it.

madarchery
Bronze Member

callmaker

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 06:28:51 PM »

If the wood is small enough and you can find an old microwave you will be impressed what a 15 second burst of microwaves can do to little critters in wood.  The microwaves travel through the wood killing them inside and the larva and eggs to.  Do a few bursts and stick in a bag for a few days just to make sure.  And it dries the wood as well, wood turners have been doing this for years to dry wood blanks.

Visit me on facebook at VanHelden Game calls
diggitydave1
Bronze Member

Taxidermy and Golf, both will drive you Crazy!

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2012, 08:38:42 PM »

trash bags and bug bombs

Wishing I had more time for golf and taxidermy, and less time for working.....
Jhay

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2012, 10:26:28 PM »

TBH I kind of scrolled through the other posts.

I've personally baked (at 250) wood for a short amount of time, but that was mainly to dry it out and try to keep things from growing. The "growing stuff" was an issue because I use CO2 on mine. I usually had a large well sealed aquarium in my garage to do this with. I'd put in a couple things of dry ice, pop down a tight lid on the aquarium, and leave it be for a while. Then take off the lid to let it air out. Problem is if it has any plant matter on it (moss or anything else) it'll grow like nobody's business. That's why I baked it as well. Baking tends to dry and kill the plants that might grow, and the CO2 usually killed off the insect problem. I agree with the others, be careful with baking the wood. I have had a problem with a particularly old piece I picked up trying to simmer a bit. Turned out it was a bit moist inside, and the temperature change like that was creating a bit of a problem. I wish you luck
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Habitat and Exhibit  |  Topic: Unwelcome little friends! « previous next »