Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 31, 2014, 09:41:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1598063 Posts in 188433 Topics by 42678 Members
Latest Member: toofunv
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: Beetle Behavior ?? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Beetle Behavior ??  (Read 640 times)
Matt_S
Silver Member

« on: March 01, 2012, 05:56:07 PM »

Was just checking on the clan and noticed something I see a lot and have always been curious about.  Why do they clump up in random places.  There will be like a hundred of them in a ball in the bedding.  Its no where near any food or where they could have carried something.  Seems like one of them yelled "PARTY" and they all came running.

Thanks
Sea Wolf
Platinum Member

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 07:11:44 PM »

Beetle Superbowl? Or maybe a bunch of loose females?

I have seen my small collection of beetles do the same thing. I never looked closely to see what they were doing though.

Call me Robert
Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 03:33:32 AM »

Probably it's because of difference of humidity and or heat in different places in your beetle enclosure.
joeym
Platinum Member

Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 06:54:54 AM »

They are just like my employees....I've got lots of work for them to do, but they are huddled in the corner talking about females, LOL!

Joe Miitchell (aka jkmitch) and Joey Murphey (joeym)

Joey Murphey, Taxidermist    Chunky, Mississippi    www.mstaxidermist.com     http://wokk.com/pages/2965375.php
masterdunbar
Gold Member

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 03:49:47 PM »

How about when they eat one another?? I have caught them in the act many times devouring of of the bigger larvae. Not sure if it just died and they saw it as a meal but they will fight over the carcass.
Call me Robert
Silver Member

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 04:47:08 PM »

Masterdunbar. cannibalism is common behavior of omnivorous and carnivorous beetles. They eat each other when they are forced to live in limited space.
It is nothing else than fighting for food and living space. It won't influence your colony strength. I assume you.
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: Beetle Behavior ?? « previous next »