Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 29, 2014, 10:47:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1597412 Posts in 188316 Topics by 42661 Members
Latest Member: MWCT
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Deer and Gameheads  |  Topic: Ibex Stink « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ibex Stink  (Read 1412 times)
Head Hunter
Bronze Member

« on: September 06, 2012, 02:49:44 PM »

I mounted a huge Ibex for a friend of mine a while back. He said that it stunk so bad that he couldnt keep it in his house. He said he had spoken to another taxidermist who told him that you have to tell the tannery do an extra step to get the smell out. I have called my tannery and they said there was no extra step. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Old Buzzard Taxidermy
Silver Member

Ducks beware!!!

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 06:15:16 PM »

Never heard of an extra step in the tanning process, did you remove and treat the horns from the skull plate prior to mounting?

Active Duty Senior Chief Petty Officer
Member DU, RMEF
Life Member NAHC
oldfather
Bronze Member

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 06:40:21 PM »

This extra step might be a good and torought degreasing....  ;);D
Randy Miller
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 06:59:36 PM »

wow
Head Hunter
Bronze Member

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 09:43:43 AM »

I boiled and removed the horns from the skull plate and boiled the skull plate clean. The skin was tanned at a professional Tannery. I talked a taxidermist in town that has a big shop and he had never heard of this "extra step". I still dont know what this EXTRA step is ? 
Low T
Platinum Member

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 10:24:05 AM »

There is no "extra steps" it is either degreased well, or not. If it is not, you would have noticed it when you mounted it.

And no, I do not own a Tshirt that has a wolf or unicorn on it.
There is no such thing as gun control, only people control.
Stop Rot,,use it or lose it.
Rest well our friend, you are missed.
John Bellucci
Platinum Member

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 10:27:37 AM »

There is no 'extra step'.  You were being fed a load of crap by this guy.  

Some tanneries that tumble skins in corn cob, instead of sawdust, will add a scent to give it that 'tumbled aroma' that you get when skins are tumbled in good sawdust, but that's about it.  

The reason some tanneries use corn cob to tumble skins ... less chance of ears being blown out.  Sawdust can pack into ears, sometimes blowing them out.  It happens, and when it does you make the repair ... no big deal.

Between the relaxation bath, the pickle bath, the shaving and re-pickling, then the tanning bath, and final oiling ... there isn't much room for a 'stink' to remain in a hide.  It is turned into a leather product ... a leather product that still contains the hair or fur, but the skin itself has been leatherized.

Sometimes goat, and sheep species can hold an odor in their horns ... the horn sheaths are somewhat porous, in that they can absorb all kinds of things that can create an odor.  The same is true for antelope horns ... both Pronghorn, and African species.  The horn sheaths themselves are not boiled but the need to be treated.  You can wash the horn sheaths with a good mild soap solution such as Kemal-4.  Add about an ounce of Kemal-4 to a couple of gallons of water, with a handful of salt dissolved for good measure.  

Pour the solution into the hollow of the horns, and scrub it out real well.  Bottle brushes, toilet brushes, can be employed specifically for the purpose of cleaning out the horn sheath interior.  Spill the excess out ... do not return it to the clean solution.  

Next the outside of the horn sheath can be cleaned.  Remember, there is usually urine and sometimes feces on the horn exteriors.  These animals will piss all over themselves to make them attractive to potential mates, and will rub their horns in poo to make a statement, so it is up to you to make sure the horns are well cleaned.

Sometimes you can mix up enough solution in a big enough container to allow the horns to soak for an hour or so, then they can be scrubbed inside and out.  This will go a long way to eliminating any odor from the part of the mount that is usually overlooked.

And yes ... stink from the horns can make the entire mount smell bad!

TrevorE
Gold Member

210-260-0190

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 11:52:03 AM »

Not really an extra step, but if that cape was thoroughly degreased it's gonna to keep that goat smell. Nothing you can do about it now.  In the future degrease it yourself.   Ibex are notorious for this.  The stink isn't in the skin, it's in the hair.

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Bill Neuman
Bronze Member

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 05:44:59 PM »

We send our Ibex to New Method. We have tried everything to get the smell out of the hides and the only thing that has worked for us is New Method. They cost alot more than we pay at our other tannery but what ever they do to them works -hands down- worth the extra price to pay to have an Ibex that dosn't have that nasty urine aroma, and you end up with a happy client as well.
BATaxidermy
Bronze Member

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 07:02:45 PM »

We send our Ibex to New Method. We have tried everything to get the smell out of the hides and the only thing that has worked for us is New Method. They cost alot more than we pay at our other tannery but what ever they do to them works -hands down- worth the extra price to pay to have an Ibex that dosn't have that nasty urine aroma, and you end up with a happy client as well.
I have one that came from new method and I can still smell it every once in a while after being on the wall for 16 years. I just don't think you can get it all out no mater what you do if you have a good nose. I have yet to be around a goat mount that I can't smell the urine at least faintly. Down the road-

There is still hope as long as an arrow is in the air just shoot first and ask questions later. 2012 #80 Mathews Monster...really laying the smack down.
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 10:44:03 PM »

Trevor is correct.  It's the HAIR not the tan nor the skin.  It's the LANOLIN in the hair of sheep and goats that needs to come out. Some tanneries either aren't equipped or knowledgeable enough to know about this. Bruce Rittel sells a product to remove lanolin .

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Deer and Gameheads  |  Topic: Ibex Stink « previous next »