now ive seen it all
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2014, 04:28:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1625216 Posts in 192460 Topics by 43492 Members
Latest Member: lorensend
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear! Please Click Here for full details and to enter.
You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: now ive seen it all « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: now ive seen it all  (Read 5099 times)
Cecil
Platinum Member

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 09:42:35 PM »

Hi Cecil biggest I've seen and done is a 16lber we get lots of 10-13 lbers here.
I have pics of them and will post them. I have about 14 bass in my freezer all over 10 lbs

Wow!  :o :o :o

My biggest fear is dying and my wife selling all of my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it.
JE
Platinum Member

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 01:03:34 PM »

Another great ebay steal!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MUSEUM-GRADE-Taxidermy-Brook-Trout-from-Labrador-Canada-7-pound-fish-fly-caught-/251011867311?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a717922af

Dont get it ??? am i missing something?

He can ask all he wants, but he is not going to get it LOL
John

Cecil
Platinum Member

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 04:10:05 PM »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MUSEUM-GRADE-Taxidermy-Brook-Trout-from-Labrador-Canada-7-pound-fish-fly-caught-/251011867311?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a717922af

John

You cannot keep fish of this size-you can't even find them this big unless you spend $10,000 on a trip and then get lucky

(From His Ebay post.)

BS.  ;D

My biggest fear is dying and my wife selling all of my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it.
Cecil
Platinum Member

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 09:48:53 PM »

IMO for it's age the mount is well done.

Perca I agree! There used to be a taxidermist in Maine by the name of Joe Foote or something like that. Was quite good for the time period from what I understand. I wonder if this is one of his fish?

rp
Gold Member

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 05:52:39 AM »

;D geez u cant believe what guys will try and sell

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROCKY-THE-BIG-FAT-BASS-FISH-MOUNT-TAXIDERMY-FISHING-LURE-ART-TROUT-PIKE-SALMON-/220960928554?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33724c332a

www.ebay.com/itm/HUGE-RARE-PALOMINO-ALBINO-TROUT-MOUNT-TAXIDERMY-BASS-SALMON-PIKE-FISHING-LURE-/220815011679?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336999af5f
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 06:11:06 AM by rp » Logged

all good things come to those who wait
rp
Gold Member

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 06:10:25 AM »

ROFL this is funny :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOBCAT-Full-Taxidermy-Mount-Defensive-Wildcat-Position-/260911266309?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbf85fa05

all good things come to those who wait
mike kroessig
Bronze Member

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 08:59:54 AM »

I really love this thread. always found ridiculous mounts for sale and wanted to share with you guys. Im glad im not the only person that gets a kick out of them.  Im always on there looking to buy fish replicas for cheap, repainting them and reselling them. But Skin mounts are where its at. large bass and trout can go for a pretty penny on there. might be worth it switching over and fixing up/repainting those guys.
Im sure in the right hands that original posted bass would go for a fortune if redone properly.

Cecil
Platinum Member

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2012, 11:06:17 AM »

I actually rarely check out the mounts on Ebay. Other than a few excellent mounts by a couple of people here, most are so disgustingly bad it depresses me. I worry that the general public feels this kind of quality is par for the course for taxidermy. We already see the hideous stuff the use in the movies and the junk that sells at garage sales.

den007
Platinum Member

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2012, 04:54:16 PM »

Mike, I like your take on what some idiots think are "vintage" mounts. Ain't no such animal as far as skin mounts. Only crapped out, flaked out, falling apart trash. If that qualifies as "vintage", like you said, too many shows like American Pickers.

How about we all start REALLY antiquing fish mounts and sell them as "vintage." Don't card the fins much, twist and break them a bit when they dry, use an unnatural pose, open the mouth way too far, marbles for eyes.......I see the wave of the future here!  Spray on a bit of food color, drizzel on a little vegetable oil, or Crisco, and sell it for "vintage."

Dennis Murawska
Angler's Art Taxidermy
"To live is not necessary...
To fish is necessary."   Latin inscription
mike kroessig
Bronze Member

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2012, 09:30:56 AM »

Well Dennis i got a bunch of um..."vintage" skin mounts i made back in 2000- 2001, when learning taxidermy. May have to break some fins off and bury them in the ground for a few weeks.

Heres one i found today. Not too pricey but really? BIN for 149.00. This trout looks like it came from Ethiopia.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-19-Brook-Trout-Mounted-Wood-Backing-Taxidermy-/180840611652?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1af0bf44

WAMP
Gold Member

Member of VVA and VFW

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2012, 11:57:08 AM »

What in the heck do pumpkins have to do with bass?????????????????????
den007
Platinum Member

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2012, 09:23:12 PM »

Mike, that looks too new to be vintage. Check out Rich's  pics. (Angling Artisan) He has it down!

Dennis Murawska
Angler's Art Taxidermy
"To live is not necessary...
To fish is necessary."   Latin inscription
Geauxtigers1421
Bronze Member

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2012, 09:51:06 PM »

Ridiculous ebay stuff is so much fun to look at. u can find true crap on there. Just because its; old and falling apart doesn't mean its Vintage. and since they think it's vintage, the sellers think its work tons of $$. These guys have been watching too much American Pickers.    check out that 24" bass's guys other auctions...oh boy!!! 

good times....good times~
The guy has whitetail sheds up for over $2,000 hahaha
You'd think he might lower some prices after realizing all 40 items or so he has up have not sold. Unless he just has hundreds of sheds and mounts sitting around waiting to be sold.
Cecil
Platinum Member

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2012, 01:31:43 PM »

John

I just realized something by looking at the 7 lb. brook trout trout close up. It was repainted fairly recently. That is, the markings were put on with an air brush. I doubt they used an air brush as far back as the seller says the fish is old.

gldntrt22

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2012, 06:53:11 AM »

Hi folks, was looking on google for info on labrador brook trout and low and behold I saw comments about a fish-MY brook trout, I had listed on eBay and Peepaw was asking about so let me set the record straight : )
The fish is old for sure-how old, not sure, my research into the company that mounted it was "House of Lero" and they go way back.
The dimensions I gave peepaw do work on a catch and release calculator as 6.8 pounds so right there at 7 pounds-some people have asked if the fish weighed 15 pounds when they have seen it.. so they are the ones way over : )
It has been airbrushed it appears but I have seen some pretty old airbrushes for sale on ebay.  The mount has to be atleast 40 years old as I saw it as a kid at my grandpas house in the early 70's so it is old.  1950's or 60's is my guess-there could have been a touch up but not in the past 30 years for sure.
I am listing it at a high price because I do believe the work is extra nice-not some pellet-fed trout but it appears to be Canadian-as the mount says, and it has such a deep shouldered wild stream fish and not a pot-bellied beaver pond fish.
My wife wants me to thin down some things-I don't really want to sell so I list it high : )
Another reason for the high price.  Fly gear has $500,$800+ reels and $800+ fly rods, so why not $1500 for a vintage mount? (or again, not really wanting to sell ..)
From the west coast where I live, it would cost $5000 for a trip to Minnipi or some place where this fish came from and I do believe most or all are catch and release ?

Hope that gives a little bit of inside and insight to the questions about the brookie!
Best to all

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: now ive seen it all « previous next »