New & want to get started
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 18, 2014, 08:27:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1631595 Posts in 193584 Topics by 43716 Members
Latest Member: Kirami
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: New & want to get started « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: New & want to get started  (Read 497 times)
M1AM14SPUR

« on: March 08, 2012, 07:11:33 PM »

I live in Southeren Ohio and I want to get started just by tanning coyote & doe hides(hair on). I just bleached a skull from my buck I got this year and I want to learn to do more. What equipment should I try to make or get to tan hides? Right now I am not starting a business, just doing this for myself. Thanks!!

Disabled Army & Coast Guard Veteran. Bow hunter.
Jdewitt27
Bronze Member

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 07:39:24 PM »

Welcome!  Well, as you will find there are a bunch of different types of tanning processes and name brands of tans.  When I did my first deer wall hanger cape, I ordered the kit from McKenzie, a taxidermy supply company thats pretty much like the Wal-Mart of taxidermy supply.  The kit had a DVD, the tan and a oil.  It was VERY easy to follow, you can watch the dvd before you get started so you know what to expect, and it acutally came out really good.  It was a great way for me to learn and was very happy with the kit.  I have since moved to a different tan, but it worked great!  Also any questions you think you have, up on top of the page.  ANY question you think you have, its in there!!
M1AM14SPUR

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 09:12:26 PM »

Thanks for the reply and information. The Veterans Administration told me to not work anymore do I have to learn some new skills to keep occupied.

Disabled Army & Coast Guard Veteran. Bow hunter.
bearrug
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 10:04:59 PM »

Welcome,Do some searches in the archives and have fun.
24/7

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 10:39:11 PM »

U mentioned the VA. If u r a veterin and were actively disabled u may qualify for educational assistance to go to some schooling. I met another vet that got his taxidermy schooling compleatly paid. Just a thot if this applies to u.Lots of benefits out there for vets if u dig around. Good luck and thank u for ur service to our great country!

Wild woods taxidermy
coroner2
Bronze Member

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 10:18:56 AM »

X2
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: New & want to get started « previous next »