Loose antelope hair
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 29, 2014, 01:04:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1626354 Posts in 192671 Topics by 43531 Members
Latest Member: browny ken
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Loose antelope hair « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Loose antelope hair  (Read 419 times)
stoney

« on: March 13, 2012, 09:13:39 PM »

I had a customer bring in 3 antelope, the capes were frozen. I started to thaw them out, and there is alot of loose hair coming out of them. The customer said that the hair will come out of them by the hands full when they are alive. I have never mounted a antelope before so I thought I would ask the pro's. Can you pickle them the same as a whitetail. Thanks for any help.

Roaring Creek Taxidermy
Matt
Platinum Member

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 09:43:30 PM »

I have had them slip as soon as I shot them. Some do, some don't, but yes you can pickle them like a wt. They are fragile animals to begin with and should be taken care of as soon as possible in the field. If it is just loosing hair here and there, you should be fine. If it is coming out in chunks, you might need a new cape.

HAPP Mark S.
Platinum Member

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 12:26:30 PM »

I have had them slip as soon as I shot them. Some do, some don't, but yes you can pickle them like a wt. They are fragile animals to begin with and should be taken care of as soon as possible in the field. If it is just loosing hair here and there, you should be fine. If it is coming out in chunks, you might need a new cape.

X2
stoney

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 09:26:06 PM »

Thanks guys for the information

Roaring Creek Taxidermy
rigbobby
Bronze Member

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 12:11:53 AM »

If you look at the root of the hair you will see that it has a very small and delicate attachment mechanism.  The hair is hollow also.  These things make it "fall out" easily.  The hollow hair is an insulation adaptation for the cold prairie winter.  The decidious adaptation is thought to be a defensive mechanism, similar to that of doves.  When the wolf bites, it gets a mouthfull of hair.  Keep the cape as clean as possible while working on it, as the hollow hair will adsorb liquids.
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Loose antelope hair « previous next »