Wing skinning tutorial
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 28, 2014, 03:27:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1626255 Posts in 192647 Topics by 43528 Members
Latest Member: vic h
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Bird Taxidermy  |  Topic: Wing skinning tutorial « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Wing skinning tutorial  (Read 5288 times)
txoutdoors
Platinum Member

« on: March 12, 2012, 01:03:35 PM »

Most times when talking about skinning wings you are presented with only 2 choices. Strip the secondaries, or do an underwing incision. There are more ways than that. I want to share with you my preferred way of doing the wings.....secondaries still attached and no incision. This may take a minute or two longer to do while skinning, but the outcome gives me the best quality and the additional time skinning is made up during the mounting / grooming process because you don't have to fight the secondaries. So the first photo shows the wing skinned down to the first joint.

This photo shows how you can work the skin along the top of the wing (radius) back and still leave the secondaries attached to the ulna.

This one shows that by grabbing the skin on either side of the bones, you can create a "pocket" and detach the skin further from the bones and meat.

With the skin worked back you can now cut the ligaments and meat on the open end.

You can now grab the meat and ligaments and pull towards the end of the wing. The ligaments act as a pull string and they help to get into the back corner. When you have the meat down as far as you can, cut it.

Using a modeling tool, pick out the last of the meat and your good to go!

With the secondaries still attached, working the wing is much easier during the mounting process. Hope this helps someone. Enjoy!

Dan

bucksnort10
Gold Member

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 01:09:58 PM »

thanks for sharing

enjoyed seeing the skinning towel   ;)

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson
t. wright
Bronze Member

Timothy Wright

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 01:21:13 PM »

Thanks for sharing

TW
King Eider

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 01:33:54 PM »

Any species this is harder to accomplish on than others. Geese have longer radius than other birds.
txoutdoors
Platinum Member

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 02:19:47 PM »

Yes, some species are harder than others. If you need to, you can cut the first few secondaries away from the bone and it will give you room to slide the skin further back. You still end up with 90% of them attached.

dmac1175
Gold Member

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 02:30:35 PM »

I love this method. I tried it several months ago and have never looked back. It does take just a bit longer but the grooming goes soooo much better.Thanks for sharing.
ryan rhodes
Platinum Member

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 03:35:28 PM »

cool, i've always thought of doing this and was actually taught that way.  I have 2 wigeon thawing out for flying mounts, think i might give this a try again...

Ryan J. Rhodes
109 christopher dr
nicholasville, ky 40356
401-787-2994

www.gunnerstaxidermy.com
mcrib1981
Bronze Member

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 09:26:42 PM »

i'm definitely gonna give this a shot
rigbobby
Bronze Member

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 12:42:48 AM »

Will try this on my next bird.  Thanks for the tip.
drewt202
Bronze Member

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 09:36:18 AM »

I only have a few ducks under my belt but I once read on here that when using this method the feathers want to twist and even when carding really well so its better to just detach them. Ever have trouble lie this?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
txoutdoors
Platinum Member

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 10:04:10 AM »

No, never had that issue. Doing it this way, the feathers stay attached to the bone, so how much could they twist? Much less than detaching them.

Mackenzie

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 04:29:10 AM »

Very nice!!!
dmac1175
Gold Member

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 07:15:50 AM »

show us how you clean it .....

I skin similar to this on a flying bird and have never had a problem with it being unclean, or bugs or fat bleeding or anything ... I tend to scrape with my fingernail when in the washwater and if I think I did not get it all I use a small stiff toothbrush (I cut it down to make stiffer, and to fit in the hole) and a quick rake will take out the rest from around the feather butts.  There is not much here anyway, you will not have problems I expect.  I have also used the blunt tweezers to pull out any little fat globs that may be left behind ... there are many ways to get it clean without having to remove the secondaries.

You can also use needle nose pliers to reach way down in there and get any red meat or fat left in there. Just be careful not to grab skin with pliers and pull or you will rip a hole in skin.
bābak
Platinum Member

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 06:04:47 AM »

Dan,thanks for sharing,i was wrong when i read your text "weak in English",pictures was blocked and filtered,i see them right now,i will follow it up for sure..thanks again
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 04:51:39 PM by bābak » Logged
byrdman
Platinum Member

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2012, 08:28:35 AM »

I love this method. I tried it several months ago and have never looked back. It does take just a bit longer but the grooming goes soooo much better.Thanks for sharing.
X2
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Bird Taxidermy  |  Topic: Wing skinning tutorial « previous next »