Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 23, 2014, 12:06:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1595825 Posts in 188089 Topics by 42622 Members
Latest Member: Dave - Walnut Hollow Country
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  General Discussions  |  The Taxidermy Industry  |  Topic: Disposal Fee « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Disposal Fee  (Read 1152 times)
duckfeathers
Silver Member

« on: March 13, 2012, 10:56:05 AM »

Hello . Well the warmer weather is here now and hunting seasons are mostly over for now... But I am still getting frozen game in that was taken last season.  Seems like customers are procrastinating, probably for financial reasons, in bringing their mounts in... AND it is an extra effort to dispose of carcases in the warmer weather. Actually I have ran a freezer the last two years to keep things from smelling until they can be disposed of..  So for the extra effort and freezer costs,  " I AM NOW Adding a $10 DISPOSAL FEE to anything from prior seasons brought in AFTER MARCH 15th" ..............Times change. I change with them......
Frog
Bronze Member

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 12:10:46 PM »

why does it cost more to dispose of it in warmer weather than cold weather, it cost me the same year round. my $47 a month is the best money i spend every month.
EA
Platinum Member

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 12:37:05 PM »

customers are procrastinating, probably for financial reasons,

Sounds like the perfect time to jack them for $10 more.  ;)
HAPP Mark S.
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 12:38:02 PM »

I'm withFrog in a way, but I feel when I set my price at doing a mount.....That 'disposal fee' is already part of the cost. So I'm not slapping the customer with a fee.
Heath Cline
Platinum Member

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 02:03:08 PM »

To each his on how you wan to run your business.
But I do not want to start adding on little charges here & there.
All our scraps go straight to the dumpster each & every day, winter or summer. I do not care what my dumpster smells like, its a dumpster, its supposed to smell. And the dumpster is far enough from the shop in the parking lot  & downwind so that clients do not get affended by it. So actually the only time someone smells it is when they go to put more trash in the dumpster.
Now if you live in the city & only have a little trash can out there to be picked up, I could see freezing your scraps but I still would not charge the clients.
Look at it this way. We have the shipping of supplies for each mount already figured into the mount price. Now when UPS delivers my supplies and my bill has a UPS surcharge for rising fuel cost. There is no way we can call our clients and tell them they owe "x" amount of dollars for the UPS surcharge for rising fuel cost. If we did that , I think we would lose clients. So just like the "disposal fee", these both should already be figured into the mount price, IMO.

www.buckskintrophyoutfitters.com
Come hunt Ohio Whitetails !!
Kerby Ross
Platinum Member

KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 02:30:22 PM »

This ain't the airlines.

I don't charge people to fart.

;D

Kerby...

I'M NOT A TAXIDERMIST, BUT I PLAY ONE ON THE INTERNET
michael p.
Platinum Member

Getting better with age :)

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 07:57:29 PM »

Hello . Well the warmer weather is here now and hunting seasons are mostly over for now... But I am still getting frozen game in that was taken last season.  Seems like customers are procrastinating, probably for financial reasons, in bringing their mounts in... AND it is an extra effort to dispose of carcases in the warmer weather. Actually I have ran a freezer the last two years to keep things from smelling until they can be disposed of..  So for the extra effort and freezer costs,  " I AM NOW Adding a $10 DISPOSAL FEE to anything from prior seasons brought in AFTER MARCH 15th" ..............Times change. I change with them......

Keep nickel and dimIng your customer and your competition will love you :)

Spent my whole life lookin' back
 Not lookin' ahead to see
 Trying to keep my feet on track
 Doin' what was expected of me
 Kick my shoes off so they can't trace me
 Leave no forwarding address
 Before they all drive me crazy
 And I leave 'em all in a bloody mess
C.C.
duxdown
Platinum Member

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 08:02:53 PM »

Thank God I live were I do. You know coyotes have to eat too.

Sure I can have it done in a week, which ear would you like first?
Michael J Vaden
Forum Moderator

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 11:04:19 PM »

That is quite possibly one of the dumbest things i have ever heard!!!! ROTFLMAO!!!!

Good luck with that! LOL
socalmountainman
Gold Member

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 11:17:40 PM »

You should be figuring the cost into your mounts and giving the customer one price.  I sold tires in my teens and learned quickly that if I broke it down and itemized the estimate with tires Plus valve stems Plus balancing plus Federal Excise Tax Plus Sales tax Plus disposal fees Plus Recycling fees.... they left and I lost sales.  When I was taught to give a Grand Total price "Installed" or "Out the Door" price, I sold a lot more tires!

"Chip off the old block"
rigbobby
Bronze Member

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 12:54:03 AM »

One thing that really bugs a customer is getting dollared to death.  Figure the cost of freezing trash in with your average gross hourly overhead, and incorporate it into every mount all year long.
PLTannery
Platinum Member

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 01:03:53 AM »

Figure Every piece as a "Worst Case"  Where you have to dispose of a carcass, That way there are no suprises and you have a bit of a buffer when you have to dispose of a carcass and a rotten cape from an inexperienced customer.

NO ONE likes to be Dimed to death.

Your Source for quality Taxidermy Specimens, Plushables, Buckskin, Crafters supplies, Skulls and Antlers.
Offering Custom Tanning services and more.

Promise Land Tannery
228 Cameron Lake Loop Road
Okanogan, WA 98840
(509) 422-3814
www.promiselandranch.net
Andy
Gold Member

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 07:43:29 AM »

Disposal is part of overall cost of business, they don't charge you at a restaurant to throw away your
garbage after your done eating. If your going to do this do you give a discount for animal's that are
allready skinned when they come in the door?
Frog
Bronze Member

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 08:08:29 AM »

Alot of chicken farmers are keeping alligators to get rid of dead chickens, anyone useing them with there taxidermy shops? I know you couldn't use them in the north without heated tanks which  would be to much cost, but maybe in the south.
Marty Dupertuis
Platinum Member

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 12:54:46 PM »

Don't like the idea at all.  Along with what others already said, this comes across as negative and penalizing people for not being able to afford your services earlier?  I'd be glad they are still bringing stuff in and not all at once.
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  General Discussions  |  The Taxidermy Industry  |  Topic: Disposal Fee « previous next »