hog shields good advise
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2014, 05:23:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1571483 Posts in 184376 Topics by 41974 Members
Latest Member: tjb
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: hog shields good advise « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: hog shields good advise  (Read 817 times)
mark c
Platinum Member

« on: March 19, 2012, 06:29:26 AM »

well im getting a bunch of hogs to do . so i was having a lot of trouble with the shieds untill i discovered that if you put them in water for about 2 hours even the tough ones get soft.  the drought down here has made the shieds as hard as bricks and even the shapest knife wont cut the stuff , my D5 was tired and i was stuck, thats when i discovered the water trick . it works very well so im sharing the tip with ya ll   mark c
J Brown II
Platinum Member

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 10:02:38 AM »

Sounds risky to me. Do you add salt to the water?
bullwhacker
Gold Member

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 08:30:22 PM »

I found a better trick...I dont take them in
joeym
Platinum Member

Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 09:41:26 PM »

Sounds risky to me. Do you add salt to the water?

Hog hair is water repellent...water wont hurt it.

Joe Miitchell (aka jkmitch) and Joey Murphey (joeym)

Joey Murphey, Taxidermist    Chunky, Mississippi    www.mstaxidermist.com     http://wokk.com/pages/2965375.php
mark c
Platinum Member

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 05:02:20 AM »

there is no risk in leaving the hog in plain water ,  when i get them they sit on the floor in the shop for a couple of days to thaw . the temp at night is 60 deg the temp in the day is 80 to 85 deg . they are very derable ,  the shieds are for the most part melted but you have 1 or 2 that becuase of the drought are dehideratered at the on set. so if you skin them and work on something else for a 1-2 hours the they soakup the water and get soft .. im talking about shilds so tough that even a new D5 blade wont cut them .  its the best thing that i can do . ive tryed all the other stuff even bought one of those flush cut saws that were in the archives , everything i tryed .......... this is the only thing that has worked and boy it works well , mark c
deerslayer87
Bronze Member

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 12:42:20 PM »

Thanks for the tip, I have two to do, I've been fighting to get the shield off of one for two days. Had to re freeze it cause I just wasn't getting anywhere. You just let it sit in the sink full of water? Does it matter if it's hot or cold?
boarhunter67
Platinum Member

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 06:34:38 PM »

Would it still have the same effect if I added salt to the water?  I'm just worried about putting them in water for a couple of hours.  We get temps here up to 110.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 10:53:26 AM by boarhunter67 » Logged
mark c
Platinum Member

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 05:35:20 AM »

then you know what im saying    its very hard shield   just put him in tap water cold   it really dont take that long   he will turn white on the shied sige as he sits there just take it out in an hour and try it if not go a bit longer . some of my shields are 1 1/2 -2 inchs thick .. you cant hurt the beast   mark c
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: hog shields good advise « previous next »