Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 28, 2014, 11:07:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1604994 Posts in 189308 Topics by 42848 Members
Latest Member: safari1957
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Marten Softmount (first mount - help) « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Marten Softmount (first mount - help)  (Read 2261 times)
Candyfog

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2012, 07:25:52 PM »

The pelt didn't really like that I rehydrated him... He ripped on the sides of his neck as I was trying to stick the head form through. And it also ripped arround the ears. I tried to sew it up as good as I could. Both holes for the eyes ripped a bit, too - both on diffrent sides - so it looked like he was looking to his right... After some work it looks like this:

I have to admit that it looks better than I thought I could do...
The pelt also ripped a bit on the right side of the nose so I'm thinking about making it look like a scar. I can't really afford epoxy so I'll have to find another way.
I also didn't get the mouth to fully close. All in all it looks really weird and crappy. But like I said before: It still looks better than I thought it would... :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 08:15:51 PM by Candyfog » Logged
lizardguts
Platinum Member

skull collector

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2012, 01:33:49 AM »

Should inquire about the age of the tan before thinking about mounting in the future, older tans have a risk of not taking well to re-hydration
Candyfog

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2012, 04:38:32 AM »

Yes, I didn't know how old he was exactly but I knew that he was old and that that would be a problem.
I will definitely never mount an old pelt again.
I think I'm never gonna mount any pelt again. It was kinda fun but it's just not for me ^^
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 08:54:52 AM by Candyfog » Logged
Ridgeline taxidermy

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2012, 10:49:58 PM »

Rehydrate, the hide will stretch a little, try that before you cut anything or shave your form down might save some extra hassle.
Candyfog

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2012, 05:01:09 PM »

Thanks for the tip. It was a pretty old pelt and I had no experience. His face is a mess and his hind legs look like they're broken.
I give up. Here's a picture of the "finished" project:

I don't think it's worth posting any detailed pictures. I failed but I still love him.
Thanks anyways for all the help! :D
deremer44
Bronze Member

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2012, 07:53:55 PM »

You didn't fail, at least you tried. If you Love him than it was worth the effort. You can only get better with practise. If your satisfied than its GREAT!
phoenix-cry
Platinum Member

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2012, 08:22:27 PM »

It's cute!
deremer44
Bronze Member

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 08:59:30 PM »

I agree!
Ridgeline taxidermy

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2012, 01:59:43 AM »

if you want it to look even better you can use alittle epoxy sculpt around the eye's then paint that black and put a layer of gloss on it to mimic the membrane where the eye lid meets the eye, it's a varey thin layer. Also you could paint the nose, water colosr with a clear coat over it once it dry's works well and comes off the fur if you get a little on there, I think it looks pretty good as is though.
Candyfog

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2012, 10:10:38 AM »

Thanks everyone! ^^
I'll deffinitely try to get some epoxy and fix the eyes and nose.
And I won't give up taxidermy after all. I'll try to skin some smaller animals (rats and mice) and preserve their pelts.
And when I have the pelts I might also try to mount them. I have so much hide-paste, clay and stuffing left.
But I'll carve/form the heads myself this time. ;)
Ridgeline taxidermy

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2012, 01:06:48 PM »

I have whole froze'n rat's, squirrel's, and various other animals if you need any pm me. Good luck with everything! 
Candyfog

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2012, 01:23:31 PM »

Thanks! I'll see if I can get any at from my local pet store first. :)
I was told that it would be best to start with a dark rat since you can see the fat better.
I haven't seen many frozen rats with dark colored fur. Most of the time they are white. Why is that?
grygon
Platinum Member

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2012, 01:51:44 PM »

hey, looks better than most soft mounts from those who have done them for years in my not so humble opinion!  nice job.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Marten Softmount (first mount - help) « previous next »