Mouth insert molding?
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 22, 2014, 11:46:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1617432 Posts in 191164 Topics by 43213 Members
Latest Member: abiegler
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: Mouth insert molding? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Mouth insert molding?  (Read 1659 times)
Ken's Wildlife Artistry
Gold Member

Kenneth Newton Phone#804-867-7736

« on: March 23, 2012, 10:57:59 PM »

I have been molding closed mouth fish with the bondo/resin method. I have been getting great results with it. My next projects are a 17" chain pickeral and a 12 to 13 in crappie. I wan't these to have an open mouth. Should I mold the fish as normal with its mouth open and sealed off/filled with highfibe also the the flared gill openings? Then after casting, cut off the head and freeze it or something into position and mold it frozen. I have also heard of making the mouth insert with rtv and then making a mouth cast with bondo/resin. Would this work with a crappie and chain pickerel? Should I grind down the chain pickerels teeth to ease with the release and then rebuild the teeth with epogrips fishtooth?  Then I would grind out the cavity where the insert will go, also grind out the opening in the flared gill plates, then glue the mouth insert in place and smooth it out with apoxie sculpt. Would rtv mold the mouth insert ok if I freeze the head prior? Now this is after I cast the whole fish as I stated above. I would also remove the gills too and cast them separately. If anyone could help that would be great. I love molding fish but am wanting to make some with open mouths.

Ken

rp
Gold Member

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 02:38:23 AM »

Hi Ken

Well I do plenty open mouth fiush and the method I use is easy. For smaller fish I use plaster. Once the plaster sets in the mouth u can mold the fish as normal. After molding the fish u can remove the plaster mouthplug and make a mouthplug with latex. With fish with teeth I grind the teeth away and do the same. I did a tutorial on oldschool molding and casting.

If u want to make a permanent mouthplug on a frozen head I woulkd use moldmax 20 or similar product as it has no problem with curing on frozen heads.
For gills I make my own, I'm going to do a tutorial on how I do this.
I hope it helps a little , feel free to ask if u want more info

all good things come to those who wait
Ken's Wildlife Artistry
Gold Member

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 12:20:13 PM »

Will any plaster work? I found some molding plaster on WASCO's website. Good prices. Now could I make a mouth plug with moldmax 20 and then leave it in the mouth while I cast the fish. I want to make a lot of pulls from these molds. How many mouth insert pulls can you get from a plaster mouth plug. Is it durable? Thanks for the info!

Ken

rp
Gold Member

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 03:30:14 PM »

Hi again

I used dental plaster for that. U can get plenty pulls from a plaster mouthplug if u make latex mouthplugs. If u want a fibreglass or bondo mouthplug I will use the moldmax 20. U can leave it in the fish and mold as normal and take it out after u finished molding the fish.

den007
Platinum Member

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 03:56:32 PM »

I would concur on this. Silicone is quite expensive and not necessary for a mouthplug. Plaster is cheap. Just be sure to seal it well and you can get plenty of pulls off it. You can also Dremel the plaster to accentuate details and smooth out any imperfections. Try plaster and I think you will be pleased and save a few bucks.

Dennis Murawska
Angler's Art Taxidermy
"To live is not necessary...
To fish is necessary."   Latin inscription
Ken's Wildlife Artistry
Gold Member

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 04:41:28 PM »

I am going to try the plaster. Now can I use resin and bondo to cast the insert? Silicone just doesn't  seem sturdy enough. Too soft. Also don't you have issues getting paint to stick?  If I am wrong please tell me.If it works that would be cheap and awesome.  Thanks so much for the info.                                               
Ken

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

rp
Gold Member

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 04:52:54 PM »

Hi Ken
I thicken my latex with talcum powder and paint it over the plaster plug. Usually two to three layers. U can pull it of the plug and glue it in the blankand paint sticks to it. Gary Bruch also uses this method if I'm correct. It work well in smaller fish. If u want to make it more sturdy u can drill a hole where u gonna fit the eye and pour a little resin in and let it cover the vack of the mouthplug. I have had real good results with this technique

Ken's Wildlife Artistry
Gold Member

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 04:55:41 PM »

Thanks RP! I can't wait to get started!

den007
Platinum Member

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 12:37:09 AM »

Latex works just fine and the price is right. If you want it stiffer when done for some reason, you can brush quick set epoxy over it, but that is not usually necessary.

Dennis Murawska
Angler's Art Taxidermy
"To live is not necessary...
To fish is necessary."   Latin inscription
Ken's Wildlife Artistry
Gold Member

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 10:36:47 AM »

Will any latex work? Which brand do you guys use? I am looking at the stuff WASCO is selling. Mold builder liquid latex rubber. Will that work? Thanks Dennis for the tip.   
I will try that if I need to!

Thanks
Ken

JE
Platinum Member

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 11:03:40 AM »

Does any one know the life expectancy of Latex, being a natural rubber I have been told it degrades over time ?
John

Ken's Wildlife Artistry
Gold Member

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 03:21:48 PM »

I have been thinking the same thing John. Not sure? I would like to know also.

Kinil

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 04:17:19 PM »

I don't think you would have any problem with the laytex lasting as it would be glued on the back side and sealed with paint on the front side. Just my thoughts
rp
Gold Member

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 04:59:39 PM »

Hi there
Well the latex will be sealed in so I can't see a problem with it. I've had mouthplugs lying around for over six years and they still fine. Remember I thicken mine with talcum powder.

Ken's Wildlife Artistry
Gold Member

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 09:05:14 PM »

Ok makes sense RP. Thanks for clearing that up.

Ken

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: Mouth insert molding? « previous next »