Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 01, 2014, 07:15:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1605701 Posts in 189423 Topics by 42868 Members
Latest Member: shreyaojhaetrade
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: DP for bug control on freeze drying? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: DP for bug control on freeze drying?  (Read 427 times)
AnnaG
Gold Member

Something Witty

« on: March 25, 2012, 11:31:30 AM »

This seems like a really silly question to ask, but will Bess Maid Dry Preserve repel bugs?

Picked up a nice freeze dryer and the taxidermist I got it from was vehement about the bug problem you can run into with freeze drying. Came with a bunch of paperwork, there is a recipe in here for what they used as a preservative but I'm having trouble finding it. I do recall the use of Borax and denatured alcohol, though.

This freeze drying booklet from 1987 tells you to use Edolan-U.

Been going through all the archives and search results I can find on freeze drying but this question hasn't been answered yet :)
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 01:34:33 PM »

Anna there are better alternatives. DP does have borax but also contains unscented talc, alum, and trace spices and minerals. Borax alone would be better. Permethrin is a better choice. Remember that since endolan U was outlawed, there is no permanent insecticide.

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
AnnaG
Gold Member

Something Witty

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 11:24:30 AM »

Anna there are better alternatives. DP does have borax but also contains unscented talc, alum, and trace spices and minerals. Borax alone would be better. Permethrin is a better choice. Remember that since endolan U was outlawed, there is no permanent insecticide.

Thank you Mr. Roof :) I realized that I wouldn't be able to send out something that would be forever but it did seem like an issue I needed to address.

I just read a post yesterday where you talked about permethrin as an insecticide. There was some discussion on the strength and where to buy it. I feel like a real dork now.
John C
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 06:05:27 AM »

Sevin liquid. Carbinol, it s a great bug killer. The liquid can be injected.
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: DP for bug control on freeze drying? « previous next »