DP for bug control on freeze drying?
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 01, 2014, 04:27:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1619946 Posts in 191547 Topics by 43293 Members
Latest Member: bambistew
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear! Please Click Here for full details and to enter.
You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: DP for bug control on freeze drying? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: DP for bug control on freeze drying?  (Read 438 times)
AnnaG
Gold Member

Something Witty

« on: March 25, 2012, 11:31:30 AM »

This seems like a really silly question to ask, but will Bess Maid Dry Preserve repel bugs?

Picked up a nice freeze dryer and the taxidermist I got it from was vehement about the bug problem you can run into with freeze drying. Came with a bunch of paperwork, there is a recipe in here for what they used as a preservative but I'm having trouble finding it. I do recall the use of Borax and denatured alcohol, though.

This freeze drying booklet from 1987 tells you to use Edolan-U.

Been going through all the archives and search results I can find on freeze drying but this question hasn't been answered yet :)
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 01:34:33 PM »

Anna there are better alternatives. DP does have borax but also contains unscented talc, alum, and trace spices and minerals. Borax alone would be better. Permethrin is a better choice. Remember that since endolan U was outlawed, there is no permanent insecticide.

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
AnnaG
Gold Member

Something Witty

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 11:24:30 AM »

Anna there are better alternatives. DP does have borax but also contains unscented talc, alum, and trace spices and minerals. Borax alone would be better. Permethrin is a better choice. Remember that since endolan U was outlawed, there is no permanent insecticide.

Thank you Mr. Roof :) I realized that I wouldn't be able to send out something that would be forever but it did seem like an issue I needed to address.

I just read a post yesterday where you talked about permethrin as an insecticide. There was some discussion on the strength and where to buy it. I feel like a real dork now.
John C
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 06:05:27 AM »

Sevin liquid. Carbinol, it s a great bug killer. The liquid can be injected.
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: DP for bug control on freeze drying? « previous next »