Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2014, 06:18:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1610567 Posts in 190140 Topics by 43027 Members
Latest Member: RaptorClaw333
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: Delaware record largemouth bass « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Delaware record largemouth bass  (Read 718 times)
John C
Platinum Member

« on: March 28, 2012, 09:04:29 PM »

Del record bass

* Delaware record bass.jpg (42.46 kB, 640x480 - viewed 259 times.)
7-Point
Platinum Member

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 09:08:41 PM »

That's a nice one for sure! Love the color and spots too.

\"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will.  --Vince Lombardi

Life is Simple: Eat. Sleep. Fish.
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 09:38:14 PM »

A Georgetown, Del., man caught a state record largemouth bass last week and then let it go.

According to The (Salisbury, Md.) Daily Times, James D. Hitchens reeled in a 10-pound, 10-ounce female largemouth measuring 26 inches long with an 18.75-inch girth.

Hitchens said he had set out to his favorite fishing hole with every intention of beating his personal best never mind the previous state record.

Ive never had one over eight pounds, Hitchens said. So I was hoping for over eight pounds.

After catching the lunker with a live minnow, Hitchens took the bass to Taylored Tackle Shop in Seaford, Del., where it was kept alive in an aerated tank while the catch was certified by Delaware Division of Natural Resources and Environmental Control Fisheries biologists Nathan Rust and Jordan Zimmerman, after which Hitchens released the fish back where it came from a customary practice for him.

I put her right back where she came from, said Hitchens. I release all my big fish.

The move was applauded by Delaware wildlife officials.

We encourage catch and release fishing in Delaware, especially with larger fish like this one, said another Fisheries biologist, Cathy Martin. Not only will this fish be back out there for other anglers to enjoy, it should also see another spawning season to pass on its good genes to another generation of largemouth bass and thereby improve our bass stock.

I've been tracking this one for my column and everyone is pretty hushed about exactly where it came from. I did get a chuckle out of the dumbass Cathy Martin quote. Most ponds here in Delaware list the fish as "inedible" due to agricultural runoff. The next thing is the color that was mentioned.  That tells me that the fish likely did not come from public access water and was most likely taken from some irrigation pond. Though our bass do have some color, the water is stained usually and a fish of that color is most likely from a clear/clean water source.

And that IS a big fish this far north. Roland Martin would have tossed that back to grow up down in Florida and I've had days where catching a couple 10 pounders wasn't that big a deal in South Carolina. HERE? Big fish and the lies are just started to be told about how it was caught.

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
Matt
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 10:21:36 PM »

Nice fish, and really nice markings!

roundyracer
Silver Member

been to the mountain and seen the elephant.usmc 68

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 10:40:03 PM »

Beautifull  colors.
srholmes30
Platinum Member

Living each and every day

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 11:32:42 PM »

Nice bass

U.S.Army Vetern 3rd RANGER Bn  75th RANGER Rgt   ISAIAH 6:8
 My Dad "Just passing through"  1935-2011
 I shall walk this but once,There for what ever good I might do,let me do it now.For I shall never walk this again.
www.wildarttaxidermyatfree.webs.com
okhunter08
Gold Member

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 11:39:55 PM »

It must be a record breaking season for a few states. Oklahoma just set a new LM state record a couple weeks ago with a 14.5 or so lb fish.

Brant Davidson
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: Delaware record largemouth bass « previous next »