Some questions from a complete noob
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2014, 09:03:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1616713 Posts in 191046 Topics by 43189 Members
Latest Member: Michiel375
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Some questions from a complete noob « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Some questions from a complete noob  (Read 3529 times)
AFWS
Platinum Member

The lost Robertson

« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2012, 03:25:40 PM »

You truly are a space cadet.  What the hell makes you think that YOU aren't an "animal" and those animals die of "horrid diseases".  Have you ever witnessed a deer dying of EHD or CWD? Have you ever seen a horse die of collic?  You're trying to play anthropomorphism. You're either too young and dumb to understand that one life is just as "precious" as another.  What if a great white shark ate you while swimming or a rattlesnake bit you when you stepped on it, or an elephant stomped a mudhole in your chest when you intruded into its personal space.  I suffer fools very badly and suddenly, you're at the top of my list with your infantile and sophomoric responses. Go away.
Clearly you do not believe that all life is equal as this statements seems to say. Otherwise,  you would just as easily hunt down and trap other human beings,stuff them, and put them in your living room as you would animals.  I have had to put my dog down from dying of cancer actually. How is it anthomorphism? If anything, it's the opposite of anthromorphism because I am not comparing animals to humans. Anthropromorphism is the act of giving animals human-like qualities, comparing humans to animals,etc. That's what  you are doing,not me.   Likewise, like you have asked me the question of seeing dying animals, I can ask you: Have you ever watch a close loved one die an unnatural death?  I am sure if you did, you would take offense at someone comparing your loved one to a fish or deer. For one, do you know how small a fish's brain is, how short their life span is?  It's like comparing a misquitoe to a human-being.

And for the record, yes the loved one was a human,not my dog.
maybe this is for you   ;D  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastination  http://www.google.com/search?q=plastination&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=8uWBT72EM4yC8ATQmeG0Bw&biw=1280&bih=553&sei=9eWBT7-wC4qs8ATE0pGvDQ

thylacinelover
Bronze Member

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2012, 03:32:39 PM »

maybe this is for you   ;D  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastination  http://www.google.com/search?q=plastination&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=8uWBT72EM4yC8ATQmeG0Bw&biw=1280&bih=553&sei=9eWBT7-wC4qs8ATE0pGvDQ
Ok. Now that is just plain creepy. Dead animals in my house I can handle,but keeping dead humans in my house is just disturbing and wrong in so many ways.  Atleast they look better than the jobs the funeral morticians did though.  I am mentally scarred now. I wouldn't even want to see those things in museums. I thought mummies were bad enough as it is. It's one thing to display dead animals,a whole nother ball game to do the same thing to humans though.

cooterwhitt
Gold Member

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2012, 03:37:49 PM »

And ur on a taxidermy forum wow (shaking my head in shame ) blood is part of the game animals don't come off the carcass without it and they sure don't tan there self maybe u should try maybe baking or house cleaning but taxidermy is not in your future unless u can get over killing animals I love to hunt and love the stories I hear from my clients its all part of the buisness

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

BACKWOODS TAXIDERMY AND KENNEL
Keyda81
Gold Member

I'd rather be weird than normal

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2012, 04:31:38 PM »

Sounds to me like you could use some professional help on how to deal with death.  It's a part of life you have to deal with.  Let it be a pet or a person.  It happens.  You mourn for a while, and then move on.  I really don't understand how petting and talking to a once living animal is going to help.  It's much better to have a cat that can give some affection back.  One other thing, you can't always get what you want.  A fox is not intended to be a pet.  I couldn't ever cage up an animal for my own selfish reasons, just because I wanted one.  I know fur farmers do this, but they have to make a living and support a family just like every one else. 

My deer mobile "Emerald" and my baby "Race"
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2012, 04:35:44 PM »

Mike, I'm sorry, but there's no one home.  I'm not sure the light is even capable of being turned on.What does being a taxidermist who understands life and death have to do with mounting a human? I notice you tapdanced right past the mortician  and your caste system.  What a dimwit to ask a guy who spent nearly 30 years in the military and is on the 70 side of 60 if I ever sat with someone dying. I understand you can't cure stupid but it sure seems like we shouldn't have to tolerate it. Maybe when she gets out of puberty she'll understand dying is a natural part of life for every living thing. y agree.

Thank you Keyda.  I absolutel

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
Geauxtigers1421
Bronze Member

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2012, 04:43:25 PM »

Sounds to me like you could use some professional help on how to deal with death.  It's a part of life you have to deal with.  Let it be a pet or a person.  It happens.  You mourn for a while, and then move on.  I really don't understand how petting and talking to a once living animal is going to help.  It's much better to have a cat that can give some affection back.  One other thing, you can't always get what you want.  A fox is not intended to be a pet.  I couldn't ever cage up an animal for my own selfish reasons, just because I wanted one.  I know fur farmers do this, but they have to make a living and support a family just like every one else.
Couldn't agree with this more.
Everyone has had a loved one die and many have experienced premature deaths. I'm 17 and have recently had a very close cousin at the age of 16 die of cancer. Yes it's terrible. Yes it doesn't seem right. But it was their time to go. He might have been young, but it was HIS time. God has a place for everyone, some sooner than others. Point is, everyone dies and you have to learn to let it go. You can still remember or think about them, but you can waste away your life mourning for them. I'm with keyda on this one and say you need some help from a professional. A mounted fox that you will pet and talk to will not give anything in return. And no offense or anything, but that's kind of physco. To each is own, but to have a conversation with a dead, mounted animal is just crazy. Cats, dogs, horses, etc. took many years to become domesticated. No matter how much you want a fox as a pet, it is a wild animal and that is just not going to happen, you need to learn to get over some things and move on in life.
Geauxtigers1421
Bronze Member

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2012, 05:11:15 PM »

Sounds to me like you could use some professional help on how to deal with death.  It's a part of life you have to deal with.  Let it be a pet or a person.  It happens.  You mourn for a while, and then move on.  I really don't understand how petting and talking to a once living animal is going to help.  It's much better to have a cat that can give some affection back.  One other thing, you can't always get what you want.  A fox is not intended to be a pet.  I couldn't ever cage up an animal for my own selfish reasons, just because I wanted one.  I know fur farmers do this, but they have to make a living and support a family just like every one else.
No matter how much you want a fox as a pet, it is a wild animal and that is just not going to happen, you need to learn to get over some things and move on in life.
Unless you buy one for thousands of dollars I guess. But then it'd be trapped in a cage, not the greatest lifestyle. Especially for an "animal lover" as you seem to be.
thylacinelover
Bronze Member

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2012, 05:35:01 PM »

Sounds to me like you could use some professional help on how to deal with death.  It's a part of life you have to deal with.  Let it be a pet or a person.  It happens.  You mourn for a while, and then move on.  I really don't understand how petting and talking to a once living animal is going to help.  It's much better to have a cat that can give some affection back.  One other thing, you can't always get what you want.  A fox is not intended to be a pet.  I couldn't ever cage up an animal for my own selfish reasons, just because I wanted one.  I know fur farmers do this, but they have to make a living and support a family just like every one else.  
I do get professional help. I go see a social worker and psyciatrist for clinical depression every couple of months.  Lots of people keep foxes as pets in states where they are legal and they don't keep them in cages. They have much better lives than on fur farms. I have online friends that keep their pet foxes in very large outdoor enclosures.  I hate cats, but I  plan on having a living dog when the situation is right as well as a taxidermied or soft mount fox.  Also, as for foxes not being pets, have you ever heard of the Russian domestic fox experiment? It really is quite interesting.  Now if only they could get official recognization as domestic species and approved rabies vaccinizes so states won't ban them as rabies carrying species...

Mike, I'm sorry, but there's no one home.  I'm not sure the light is even capable of being turned on.What does being a taxidermist who understands life and death have to do with mounting a human? I notice you tapdanced right past the mortician  and your caste system.  What a dimwit to ask a guy who spent nearly 30 years in the military and is on the 70 side of 60 if I ever sat with someone dying. I understand you can't cure stupid but it sure seems like we shouldn't have to tolerate it. Maybe when she gets out of puberty she'll understand dying is a natural part of life for every living thing. y agree.
I mentioned mounting humans because you essentially said in your post that human life has the same value as animal life which is like saying that anything someone does to an animal, they can or should also do to a human such as eating them, hunting them, trapping them, mounting them,etc., which is cleary not true unless you are secretly hiding some dead mounted humans in your house which I doubt. Ok. So you've sat with someone dying.  So, how would you feel if I compared someone who you were close to dying to a FISH? That's incredibly offensive to me. They meant so much more to  me than some stupid random fish that's one of many fish that gets eaten by birds of prey every day.

And btw, I am past puberty.  I am in my 20s.

Everyone has had a loved one die and many have experienced premature deaths. I'm 17 and have recently had a very close cousin at the age of 16 die of cancer. Yes it's terrible. Yes it doesn't seem right. But it was their time to go. He might have been young, but it was HIS time. God has a place for everyone, some sooner than others. Point is, everyone dies and you have to learn to let it go. You can still remember or think about them, but you can waste away your life mourning for them. I'm with keyda on this one and say you need some help from a professional. A mounted fox that you will pet and talk to will not give anything in return. And no offense or anything, but that's kind of physco. To each is own, but to have a conversation with a dead, mounted animal is just crazy. Cats, dogs, horses, etc. took many years to become domesticated. No matter how much you want a fox as a pet, it is a wild animal and that is just not going to happen, you need to learn to get over some things and move on in life.
I am sorry about your cousin.  It seems like an insult to their memory to let it go,like I'm pretending they never exsisted in the first place or that I don't need them anymore. I do go to a professional and take depression meds,but sometimes it seems it isn't enough.  I don't expect it to give anything in return. How is it anymore "crazy" than keeping a dead animal in ones living room just for the sake of showing off to one's friends or as some kind of trophy?

I guess you haven't heard of the domestic fox experiment in Russia either then?

And ur on a taxidermy forum wow (shaking my head in shame ) blood is part of the game animals don't come off the carcass without it and they sure don't tan there self maybe u should try maybe baking or house cleaning but taxidermy is not in your future unless u can get over killing animals I love to hunt and love the stories I hear from my clients its all part of the buisness
Not everybody who does taxidermy hunts. I've even seen others on here say that they don't hunt. They just mount road kill. I hate cleaning the house and I can't bake or cook to save the life of me. I was interested in being a vet once but the blood made things difficult even though vet tech class was fun. I just couldn't do surgery or anything like that. I was fine drawing blood,testing feces, clipping nails, and other things like that.  I just don't think I could handle any serious vet work like surgery that involves alot of blood and guts.

thylacinelover
Bronze Member

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2012, 05:36:26 PM »

Unless you buy one for thousands of dollars I guess. But then it'd be trapped in a cage, not the greatest lifestyle. Especially for an "animal lover" as you seem to be.
I know people who own pet fox who keep them in outdoor enclosures larger than what most zoos keep them in. I would hardly call that being in a cage.

naturesmirror
Bronze Member

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2012, 05:50:55 PM »

alright, im past the point of caring anymore. Ill just get out there and say it without any polictical correctness or caring for peoples feelings.

Your on a TAXIDERMY website! the majority of people here are HUNTERS! so your not going to get the response you want. Good hnters (which im sure a lot of people on here are), and hujmane hunters. quick death, no pain.

I bet you eat chicken, being in your early 20's i"m sure you don't have enough money for free range organic grain fed crap. wanna know what they do to those battery hens?
anyway back to the point.
People on this site do this for a living, most of them breathe, eat, sleep, and dream hunting/taxidermy.   most people don't care where it came form as long as it brings in the dough. (notice the word "MOST" not all).
 Seriously even thought you say your in yours 20's, the way you type the way you contradict yourself, sounds like a 15yr old looking for justification and just arguing  even knowing she has lost the battle. You said in an early  post about "DA crap" (page two, near the bottom, cant be bothered checking it), guess what, you are one of those people supporting that DA crap. There is a whole nother thread dedicated to that DA crap.

one thing i've learnt form being on here, is do your research, people are on here who do taxidermy as a full time career!  not all of us have time to answer stupid questions.
"does a hide rot after its been tanned?"
GOOGLE IT!! 
check the forums, there is a whole topic about it!

anyway im sick of this... take your PETA opinions and get out.

Geauxtigers1421
Bronze Member

« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2012, 05:51:15 PM »

Thank you. I am also sorry about your losses. I wouldn't consider it an insult at all. I haven't forgot about him. In fact, I wear his necklace everywhere I go and got a rosary made with the flowers at his funeral. I still remember him, I still love him and always will. but there is one thing I do know, if he were still alive today, I know he wouldn't want me to not live my life because I'm too busy mourning his death. He would want me to get over it. And even saying that, I wouldn't say I've gotten over it, I still think about him all the time, it's just not stopping me from doing anything. And no offense, but maybe you thinking that is the reason you see a professional and take depression pills. Death is a part of life and you have to learn to live with it. Many people die every day and those people are related to others. If everyone just mourned their families deaths every day, the world would be a VERY sad place. And because you aren't talking to it........

It's dead, it's not going I respond and it doesn't know what you are saying.

And no I have not.
Geauxtigers1421
Bronze Member

« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2012, 05:56:27 PM »

And aren't you wanting to be a zoo keeper? I may be wrong, but don't zoo keepers have to deal with dead and injured/bleeding animals every year? I think you need to find a job behind a desk personally
nickstax
Bronze Member

« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2012, 05:58:27 PM »

this guy or gal or tree hugger is jerking your chains. he doesn't want help, he wants to fight with whoever will give him the time. i don't have the time. get a life.
thylacinelover
Bronze Member

« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2012, 06:21:03 PM »

alright, im past the point of caring anymore. Ill just get out there and say it without any polictical correctness or caring for peoples feelings.

Your on a TAXIDERMY website! the majority of people here are HUNTERS! so your not going to get the response you want. Good hnters (which im sure a lot of people on here are), and hujmane hunters. quick death, no pain.

I bet you eat chicken, being in your early 20's i"m sure you don't have enough money for free range organic grain fed crap. wanna know what they do to those battery hens?
anyway back to the point.
People on this site do this for a living, most of them breathe, eat, sleep, and dream hunting/taxidermy.   most people don't care where it came form as long as it brings in the dough. (notice the word "MOST" not all).
 Seriously even thought you say your in yours 20's, the way you type the way you contradict yourself, sounds like a 15yr old looking for justification and just arguing  even knowing she has lost the battle. You said in an early  post about "DA crap" (page two, near the bottom, cant be bothered checking it), guess what, you are one of those people supporting that DA crap. There is a whole nother thread dedicated to that DA crap.

one thing i've learnt form being on here, is do your research, people are on here who do taxidermy as a full time career!  not all of us have time to answer stupid questions.
"does a hide rot after its been tanned?"
GOOGLE IT!! 
check the forums, there is a whole topic about it!

anyway im sick of this... take your PETA opinions and get out.
I have said in several places on this forum that I am not against hunting if the animal if killed for food, population control, or other reasons besides just being stuffed.   I don't mind if people stuff their kills just as long as they killed the animal for other purposes as well.

Yes. I do eat chicken. I am aware of what factory farmed animals go through,but unfortnately, that's the only way to get meat unless I was able to go hunting for it,which I am not against even though you seem to think so. Hunting and taxidermy don't necessarily go hand and hand. I've seen several people on here say that they do taxidermy but they don't hunt and then there are people who hunt,but for food or other reasons besides just for taxidermy purposes but just taxidermy the animals as an added bonus if you  will. Some people on here are hobbyists as well. They don't do it to make money or as a fulltime business/career.

By DA crap, I meant the bad ones. Not all of them are bad.  Take Leslie's for example. They are excellent. I support the ones I think look good,not the ones that look like lifeless rugs or accordion-shaped foxes. 

I do not have PETA opinions. PETA doesn't believe in killing animals at all for any  reason. I believe in eating meat whether it be factory farmed or hunted, killing nuisance animals, killing animals who are old or sick,humane hunting and trapping done for legimate purposes,etc. I also believe in keeping pets(both domestic and exotic), using horses,donkeys, and mules,etc. for working purposes, so called "exploiting" animals by training them to do tricks for movies/tv shows and theme parks like Sea World,etc.  which PETA does not.

thylacinelover
Bronze Member

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2012, 06:25:12 PM »

this guy or gal or tree hugger is jerking your chains. he doesn't want help, he wants to fight with whoever will give him the time. i don't have the time. get a life.
I do want help. I'm not trying to jerk anyones chains. I am sorry if I've rubbed some people on here the wrong way but everybody has different opinions and morals and reasons for doing or wanting to do things.  Why can't we all just accept that? I mean,the world would be pretty boring if everyone followed the same standards or had the same reason for doing something or being interested in something as everyone else.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Some questions from a complete noob « previous next »