Possible Illegal Importation? (not sure where to put this sorry)
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 23, 2014, 11:08:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1625029 Posts in 192430 Topics by 43482 Members
Latest Member: Bowhunt4Llfe
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear! Please Click Here for full details and to enter.
You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Possible Illegal Importation? (not sure where to put this sorry) « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Possible Illegal Importation? (not sure where to put this sorry)  (Read 735 times)
Lunalura

« on: April 01, 2012, 11:50:55 PM »

Hi there,

I just wanted to ask some advice from some members on here that would probably know more about it than I. I have seen a seller on eBay recently (here in Australia) that is selling alot of skins - mainly fox and coyote which I didn't give much thought too as it's not hard to get those over here legally.

However the last few weeks he's also had wolves for sale, which struck me as odd as I know how big a pain in the butt it is to get them over here with all the permits, as i'm currently in the process of doing it myself. I questioned him about it, and asked whether they came with their permits to prove legality, and what price he payed. He said he only payed $30 for papers, which is a load of crap right there, it's costing me over $500 just for one wolf. I realise you can stick multiple animals on one permit, but for $30 no.

I replied again, saying how on earth he got away with that.. he said he 'has his ways'. He found out I was interested in pelts myself (not from him, just in general) and said he could get it anything I wanted, Bobcat, Lynx, and even mentioned he apparently got in a Polar Bear recently which just lit up red sirens. I have no idea about the law surrounding Polar pelts, I assume they are legal from pre-ban animals but that even crossing them over US state lines is a nono, let alone getting one into another country.

I just wanted to ask advice on what I should do, it's none of my business and I don't want to get tangled up in his mess, but if theres a chance animals are being illegally poached I won't just sit around and do nothing.
Light Rail Coyote
Platinum Member

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 12:14:52 AM »

Sounds like the same guy who tried to sell me a leopard pelt. Is he in NSW?
Lunalura

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 12:17:06 AM »

I'm not sure, I know there is another guy on there that is currently selling a giraffe and lion skin, as I know he offered me a leopard aswell.

The guy with the polar bear is seperate though.
naturesmirror
Bronze Member

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 12:48:52 AM »

do either of you know to get mountain lions into aus? im from aus, have a mountain lion i wanna import but they wont let me cause mountain lions are on the "endangered species" list.  Although wher ei shot it, cougars have a year round tag on them... any ideas?? i got tags and my huntting licence... but i have no idea how what else to do
Lunalura

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 02:18:52 AM »

I am pretty sure they are legal, they will just need to go through the same process as Wolves, Bobcat, Lynx and other CITES animals. Which is an export permit from the US (over $470) which takes quite a while to organise, and an import permit for the country you want to send it to.

Alot of sellers don't bother with international shipping though as I think they need a fur dealer license aswell - but a few people do, and I know Sivko Fur act's a broker for this sort of thing aswell.
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Possible Illegal Importation? (not sure where to put this sorry) « previous next »