antelope problems
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2014, 03:02:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1616932 Posts in 191083 Topics by 43197 Members
Latest Member: skullsnbones1127
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: antelope problems « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: antelope problems  (Read 1343 times)
naturesdesigntaxidermy

« on: April 02, 2012, 02:33:29 PM »

I am having a problem mounting an antelope. I got the eyes sculpted this morning and the ear buds done. Then when I went to put the hide on the form....from the back of the horn to the ear is further than what the earbud placement is on the form..if this makes any since. If I taxi the skin forward there is too much of a gap between the front of the horn and skin plus the eyes are off. When I measured for cape I got 7 3/4 x 15. So that is the form I'm using. I also have an 8 x 14 form. I tried sewing up but everything was pulled off. So do I buy a 7 3/4 x 15 cape or maybe am I doing something wrong. Here is a pic of the prepped form.

* IMG291.jpg (28.7 kB, 640x480 - viewed 355 times.)
3bears
Platinum Member

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 04:32:42 PM »

Pic looks distorted hard to tell much. I rasp off the earbutt base on the form and put them where they need to be for the cape I am mounting. On the form they are in the general area, but not a one size fits all. I'm not sure if they can even put their ears the way you have them. I haven't found any reference pics showing that. If you have one I would like to see it. The eyes look sunken in. Look at your reference pics or get better pics. There was a pic posted not long ago of a pronghorn from almost directly behind and you could see a big portion of it's eyes. Good luck, 3bears
Hammer
Platinum Member

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 05:57:38 PM »

Good luck Antelope are tough to get them to look correct. Those ears look like they are in a bad position this is why I alway measure from nose to eye, nose to horn base, nose to front muscle and nose to back of muscle and nose to back of skull. You could never have enough measurements. I go as far as measuring the exact place for the black patch as you will see on plenty of mounts out there that the patch is on the neck instead of where it should be and that is the back of the Jaw. There should only be about 2-3 finger gap from behind your horn to the front of the ear muscle.
3bears
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 06:35:51 PM »

I find if you cut the skull plate leaving plenty of eye on it, you can cut it to fit the form without much trouble. If you can get the horns and the eyes in the right spot everything else goes together pretty easy. I take plenty of measurements as well before caping. 3bears
Low T
Platinum Member

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 10:23:22 PM »

They are called ear butt's, not ear buds. So you are saying that you have to much ear butt skin?

And no, I do not own a Tshirt that has a wolf or unicorn on it.
There is no such thing as gun control, only people control.
Stop Rot,,use it or lose it.
Rest well our friend, you are missed.
michael p.
Platinum Member

Getting better with age :)

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 12:38:59 AM »

The real and established 'Natures Design Taxidermy' would not have that problem ;) LOL  Hey, just giving you a hard time :)  But seriously, why would you want to give your business the EXACT same name as an established studio that sits only 196 miles from you.  Besides that, you will never be able to get a website with 'Natures Design Taxidermy' so potential customers who hear your name and search for you on the internet will automatically be linked to the other studio. I would not want my potential clients getting directed to another top notch studio, that is going to cost you customer $$$$'s more than you could ever imagine.

Here is the neighboring states studio site...
http://www.naturesdesigntaxidermy.com/

As far as the Antelope goes, you do not even have the ears in the correct position so nothing is going to line up, you have them positioned like a muledeer, not an antelope.  Raise your ear buds up an inch or more and before you reposition your lines look at one simple reference picture.  You can tell by your photo that your flying blind through this one.

Good luck,
Michael

Spent my whole life lookin' back
 Not lookin' ahead to see
 Trying to keep my feet on track
 Doin' what was expected of me
 Kick my shoes off so they can't trace me
 Leave no forwarding address
 Before they all drive me crazy
 And I leave 'em all in a bloody mess
C.C.
naturesdesigntaxidermy

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 09:17:43 PM »

I actually did reposition the ears higher before I put the cape on. The problem lies between the ear butts and the back of the horn. If I pull the cape to its natural position, it is so big it the ears would be off the top of the back of the neck. I have 2 forms and measure the distance from the "form earbutt to back corner of eye" and the distance between that is the same even between different size forms. There is just too much loose skin between back of horn and earbutt if I try to line ears up with "form earbitt position". Make sense? Maybe pics would help?
Jared Green
Gold Member

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 12:00:48 AM »

Next time you get your hands on a skull, take a reference pic of the ear canal location. Transfer this location to your form. The ear location dosent move, it goes where God designed it to go. I place a heavy wire through the inner ear canal and stick the wire into the spot I've marked, assuring proper location. When you test fit, mark ear canal location, use reference to place horns, (don't puddly them yet) then test fit, placing ears in proper location. You can then check your fit around horns, and check eye to nose. You can then adjust eye to nose on your form and horn placement to fit.

Jared Green

\"And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ.\" Colossians 4:18
michael p.
Platinum Member

Getting better with age :)

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 12:14:29 AM »

Here's a customer antelope I mounted up this evening, look how far back my ear butts are going to be, the ears will be set dead center on top of the clay.

You do not want a tight or even snug fit on your antelope head, there are too many hair patterns you must adjust and if it's tight, none of them will take or stay

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 02:19:47 AM by michael p. » Logged

Spent my whole life lookin' back
 Not lookin' ahead to see
 Trying to keep my feet on track
 Doin' what was expected of me
 Kick my shoes off so they can't trace me
 Leave no forwarding address
 Before they all drive me crazy
 And I leave 'em all in a bloody mess
C.C.
Rackmastr
Silver Member

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 01:33:04 AM »

Thanks for the picture Michael.  As with a ton of great pics posted on here, its getting added to my 'reference' file....growing and growing!
Western Wildlife Art Studio
Platinum Member

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 01:14:28 AM »

Nice RUTTING buck  - MP 

copycat -AKAnaturesdesign /// LOL..  your antelope ears are set too LOW - NEVER SEEN a a set a SPEEDGOATS ears look like that ..,
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: antelope problems « previous next »