Trubond Tan vs AutoTanner
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2014, 04:27:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1625216 Posts in 192460 Topics by 43492 Members
Latest Member: lorensend
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear! Please Click Here for full details and to enter.
You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Tanning  |  Topic: Trubond Tan vs AutoTanner « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Trubond Tan vs AutoTanner  (Read 1969 times)
jd gray

« on: April 04, 2012, 09:30:52 PM »

I'm thinking of either trying the trubond tanning method or buying a auto-tanner from Dan Rinehart and using his system. I'm currently pickling my deer capes with Safety Acid and tanning using McKenzie tan. I've had mostly good results but theres been a few shrinkage issues. i usually tan atleast 25deer capes a season. Would it be worth it to try the trubond or would the tanner pay for itself? Any suggestions would be very helpful.
MVT
Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 12:06:18 AM »

At 25 deer capes a year, monetarily it is going to take a couple years to recoup the cost for a pressure tanner. But the pressure tanner saves a lot of time, is simple and convenient. The only one that can put a price on that is you. For me the time savings and convenience is worth a lot.   
Doug Bridges
Platinum Member

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 09:23:28 AM »

My opinion only. Go with the TruBond. I did 2 years ago and have been very happy with the results.

Doug Bridges
The Village Taxidermist
www.villagetaxidermist.com
I sell Smooth-On Products and S&S Fleshing Machines
Mold Making and Casting Services for Taxidermists and Beyond!
Low T
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 09:38:01 AM »

Unless you are doing 40 + deer a year, you do not need an auto tanner. A waste of money unless you have good production. They are not needed to do a good tan.

And no, I do not own a Tshirt that has a wolf or unicorn on it.
There is no such thing as gun control, only people control.
Stop Rot,,use it or lose it.
Rest well our friend, you are missed.
Justin P.
Platinum Member

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 12:20:55 PM »

sent you a pm
jd gray

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 05:24:29 PM »

thanks everybody for the advice. can anybody tell me the difference in the different trubond tans and which would be the best for game heads and smaller lifesize mounts?
Frank E. Kotula
Platinum Member

master, judge, instructor

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 09:58:28 PM »

B is for rugs the other is made for mounting.

Frank E. Kotula
http://www.FranksWildlifeStudio.com
one on one classes 570-819-0391
All phases of taxidermy
hounddoggy
Gold Member

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 09:03:53 PM »

i would be so bold as to say nothing comes close to trubond     ive tried all of the big name brands and after trubond i felt other brands were made to tan baseball gloves       try it once you wont ever go back      also you can rinse with cool water before you mount  no degrease required like some brush ons
duxdown
Platinum Member

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 12:47:34 PM »

Try the trubond, if not satisfied just ship the rest to me i will gladly take it. I started useing it last year and love the stuff. The hides have great stretch, look alot like wet white seude leather and have a nice wet leather smell. Shrinkage is also almost non exsistant as long as you thin properly. If you use bruch on tans and havent tried it, you owe it to yourself. Go ahead and just get a gallon you wont be dissipointed.

Sure I can have it done in a week, which ear would you like first?
tazzymoto
Platinum Member

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 04:18:07 PM »

I have been using the trubond brush-on tan after running the capes in the pressure tanner. Basicly using the tanner to pickle the capes and applying  trubond after , It works very well , very little shrinkage! I'm currently developing a non pressurized tanner that works the same  as the pressure tanner , I'll let you know how it works out in a couple weeks so far so good! Here's a picture of the prototype in use

* tanner.JPG (74.59 kB, 448x336 - viewed 487 times.)

MVT
Silver Member

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 04:50:49 PM »

Very nice tazzymoto. Do you have any fins or pegs in the plastic drum?
tazzymoto
Platinum Member

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 05:29:21 PM »

The drum has  a flat top and hand holds that help turn the cape, Plus this machince can run at 1 rpm to 10 rpm so no twisting and it can be used as a tanner and a tubler as well

Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Tanning  |  Topic: Trubond Tan vs AutoTanner « previous next »