Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2014, 02:50:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1605935 Posts in 189453 Topics by 42874 Members
Latest Member: AllThingsFishing
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Bird Taxidermy  |  Topic: Spring 2012 - Turkey hunting photos/stories « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: Spring 2012 - Turkey hunting photos/stories  (Read 8003 times)
dmac1175
Gold Member

« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2012, 01:30:11 PM »

Here is a turkey from April 14th. Second turkey killed on May 5th. Now I'm planning a South Dakota trip for next week the last week of season.

#1 19#, 9 1/2", 1"

#2 22#, 11", 1 1/8 & 1 3/16

DL
Platinum Member

« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2012, 05:47:26 PM »

This young fella took a nice throphy foa a first bird. 4 beards! Don't know the story behind it other than he is a friend of one of my hunting partners. It's a Rio and was shot here in California.
skinner26
Gold Member

WACK'EM, STACK'EM & MOUNT'EM

« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2012, 08:35:54 AM »

DL looks like a Eastern to me with blonde tips. I have killed to here in WV like that very cool birds. Congrats.

Trying to learn all I can to get better.
kikkertinz
Platinum Member

Glass half full

« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2012, 08:55:38 AM »

Got this one Wednesday, didnt get out to the woods til 9. I have killed more after 9 or 10 a.m than before so i wasnt too worried about it. Didnt hear anything on my hike out this one ridge, on my way back I was walking on the mountain top and calling down over the sides every hundrerd yrds or so. Had one gobble way down towards bottom so i went down after him. Got him to gobble every few mins to keep his location pinpointed. Moved in just one bench above him and setup adjusting everytime he gobbled and came closer. Checked my phone quick to see what time limit i was dealing with, it was 11:07..can only hunt til noon. I had lots of time lol. He took about 15 mins to come in, strutting the whole way, I could hear him drumming long before i could see him it was awesome! Finally he appeared about 25 yrds and went into strut again behind another tree, as soon as he came out on the other side he put his head up to survey his surrounding BOOM! game over!  (My wife was impressed with the pic of it on her car hood) ;D ;D     
skinner26
Gold Member

WACK'EM, STACK'EM & MOUNT'EM

« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2012, 11:31:57 PM »

Felled my last Va tag this morning. Set up on 3 very hot birds they where about 500 yards off in a big holler. They gobbled at every thing. Had is bird come in and dropped over the ridge. Thin come up behind a log at 5 yards win I dropped the hammer on him. That 3 1/2" #5 worked him over really nice.

18 lbs 10" beard 1 1/8" spear & 1" spear.

Trying to learn all I can to get better.
mn_jimmer
Bronze Member

« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2012, 10:55:01 AM »

I harvested my Minnesota bird on the first day of my season May 3.  He came into my stuffed decoy with another bird and tried to breed her.  Shot him right off the decoy.  I wasn't sure if I was going to shoot him as I knew there were better birds around but couldn't take it any more.  As it turns out the weather was terrible the next 4 days so I'm glad I took him.

* MN turkey 2012 009 (360x450).jpg (120.75 kB, 360x450 - viewed 229 times.)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 11:13:11 PM by mn_jimmer » Logged
Bill Motzer
Platinum Member

« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2012, 11:24:56 AM »

I shot this one this past Friday. The property I hunt has a good amount of birds, as well as hunters. With it being an archery only property and everyone calling them they dont respond to calling. I have 2 places on this property were I ambush them. Just a draw where I can get a bow shot at them while they do their normal routine. I was able to take this Tom with a 12 yard shot. 10 inch beard and one inch spurs.

duxrus
Platinum Member

« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2012, 03:55:01 PM »

Well, me and dad just got back from our yearly out-of state turkey chasing trip and all I can say is I LOVE Nebraska. This was our third trip there and I have a perfect average in that state.I have hunted 8 days and killed 8 turkeys. If you have never hunted merriams than you MUST do it one day. When they decide to come to a call you better be ready no matter how far away they answer from. They seem to not have the hung up gene as most eastern birds. I will say that if you dislike hens around here you will absolutely HATE merriam hens.  They will run as fast as they can away from a caller with their Toms in toe. There is no calling in the Boss hen..because she will be two ridges away by your second call. They dont share their menhaha   This trip ended as the past ones. Some gobblers came in from FAR distances on a string and others needed more Marine tactics for a kill :)  Both of us got our 3 bird limit by day three of our six day hunt.

Here are my first two birds. #1 came in from a Kazillion yards. I could barley hear him answer at first until I pulled the trigger on him strutting in at about 40 yards. #2 was with another good Tom strutting with some hens a little too close to a ravine ;)

A pic of where the "killin" took place of #2

#2 where he ended his career...

#3 Got between me and another  bird I was making a move on. I was sneeking down a creek bottom when I jumped one of many mallards that nest along it. When it jumped it did the normal Quack that coaxed a shock gobble out of him within range of my location. That mallard cost Mr. Gobbler his life because I had no idea he was around. A few minutes later he was rolling down the hill.

Here is dads #1 that came in strutting from over 300 yards.

His #2 and #3 both died from MY blind the next afternoon. I was planning on using it that day but limited out that morning so I strongly suggested him spending time in it. I was correct on my thinking when those two came right on by at about 35 yards..Boom, Boom Done.  I had seen them the day before and already made a plan. Lucky dad..the double I wanted

Here is the ground under a roost cite where they winter close to the cattle yard.Yes, that is all POOP.

Bucknut
Platinum Member

176 5/8

« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2012, 04:53:27 PM »

My youngest son took last final on Friday for med school at U of Iowa and wanted to hit the woods. I met him in Iowa about noon on Sat and we drove down to a farm I have been hunting in NE Iowa for an afternoon sit. There were two spots I had in mind. One was a nice open wooded point and the other was a freshly plowed up food plot. I decided on the woods. We didn't see anything all afternoon. When we got back to the truck and met the landowner who said there was a tom strutting in the food plot when he went to plant it. Dang! We picked the wrong spot. Then this am we decided to sit in the food plot. We had 7 birds gobbling around us. Finally, 2 of them came through the CRP to the edge of the foodplot but then hung up at 70 yards. They wouldn't come any closer and finally walked off. We sat until 10:30 and decided to move about 300 yards down the ridge along the treeline. We were going to sit until 11:30 and call it a day. At 11:20 we decided to quit. We were packing up the tent and decoys when I looked along the treeline and saw a red head sticking up out of the grass. I told my son to shoot. It was 40 yards away but somehow he managed to not get a head shot. I could tell it was hit when it ran off into the woods. We went over there and I found blood on the vegetation. We tracked it for 200 yards and finally caught up with it in a ravine and my son finished it off. He was happy! It was a 2 year old with a 10 inch beard. Forgot the camera so no pic.

Bruce

I got a couple of 170's - now I want a 190!
Shawn73
Platinum Member

« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2012, 08:39:01 PM »

love the merriams would love to get one one of these years. so jealous
Pete-pec
Silver Member

« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2012, 06:29:58 AM »

My Son went solo on this one. His first hunt alone, and he scored on a nice tom. Fifth season Wisconsin, and his second bird for the year.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 07:44:04 PM by Pete-pec » Logged
duxrus
Platinum Member

« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2012, 10:23:19 AM »

Pete,

He will be guiding dad soon enough..... :)
lov2bhntn
Bronze Member

www.tailfeatherstaxidermy.com

« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2012, 10:37:33 AM »

hey Skinner26,   I am looking for a new place to hunt turkey next spring.   My club is being clear cut and hunting will be slim to none.    You have any clubs or land leases in need of members out your way?
Pete-pec
Silver Member

« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2012, 12:37:07 PM »

Brian, you need to hear the whole story. DAD put him on the spot, told him he wouldn't need to call, and wouldn't need to use a decoy. It's a natural gas line that is planted in seven different grasses, and a perfect ambush spot and strutting zone, being only 20 yards wide, and centered between a woods.

He gets stung or bit in the rear by a bug, and was checking the bug bite out when he looks out the blind (that I set up), and notices a tom three feet from the blind looking in. He remains motionless (yes, with his shorts down). The bird calms down, and walks a ways off. He pulls up his shorts, grabs his gun, and turns the red dot on, and shoots him at ten paces.

It was a sweet story, and he was very proud, but I think I'll stick to the guiding for a while?! LOL I had to attend my Daughters science fair, so I couldn't go out with him, but it was pretty cool getting a call that he scored. I was surprised he was so calm, but he confided in me later that he was pretty jacked up when it first happened, and waited 30 minutes to calm down before calling me. He also missed on a belly crawl in the exact same spot the day before with me there. Turned out the red dot battery went dead at the most inopportune time. He said he centered the bird in the center of the aperture, but apparently that wasn't good enough?  After that miss, he said redemption was in short order!
duxrus
Platinum Member

« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2012, 02:36:24 PM »

Now Pete, there are two sides to every story and I bet his side is a bit different  ;D  Congrats are in order no matter who guided who...haha
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Bird Taxidermy  |  Topic: Spring 2012 - Turkey hunting photos/stories « previous next »