Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2014, 08:08:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1610273 Posts in 190091 Topics by 43014 Members
Latest Member: Johndepy
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Deer and Gameheads  |  Topic: Splitting eyelids. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Splitting eyelids.  (Read 1587 times)
monarch
Bronze Member

« on: April 10, 2012, 05:31:25 AM »

Hi, guys - just wondered if you all split the eyelid right down to the fatty deposits?  I was taught to do this but wonder if it is a "must do" as I find it can be quite tricky on small animals.  If the membrane was split right up to the lids would it distort that much to be a problem.  I beleive the salt and tanning would get right in there anyway, so feel it might just be a distortion issue? 
Low T
Platinum Member

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 05:41:06 AM »

Or a lazy issue. Grog use smaller knife, Grog not chop at meat, Grog go slow like Doctor Surgeon with Opti Visor, or not.

And no, I do not own a Tshirt that has a wolf or unicorn on it.
There is no such thing as gun control, only people control.
Stop Rot,,use it or lose it.
Rest well our friend, you are missed.
monarch
Bronze Member

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 06:28:06 AM »

Hi, thanks for the response Mr Friendly (?) but it is not a lazy issue at all. Just that I feel once this is done it lays against the eye in a very flat way and I want to retain the fullness of the eyelid. What on earth does "grog " mean Mr Friendly?
Low T
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 07:03:59 AM »

You mentioned that it was tricky, and some guys will not split lids because they will not spend the time to get fussy, hence the Grog (caveman) style of craftsmanship, or skipping the details. It is almost mico surgery to split the eye lids on small game, and easy to cut the lashes free so they fall out.  I know a guy that never splits eye lids, and the lashes point upwards most all the time on everything he does. Ok for him, but not me. I split only for that reason. I have prepped a lot of skins that were tanned and never split, when I open them, the fat is still fat, and the lid is still thick, thick leather will potato chip when it dries and the lashes will most always point upwards. It only takes a few seconds to split them, I can't see why not to do them, unless your name is Grog.

And no, I do not own a Tshirt that has a wolf or unicorn on it.
There is no such thing as gun control, only people control.
Stop Rot,,use it or lose it.
Rest well our friend, you are missed.
Big Country
Bronze Member

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 09:05:25 AM »

They will not lay flat if you use clay and do it right.
Mill Creek Taxidermy (fozzie)
Platinum Member

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 09:20:46 AM »

Short -cuts NEVER end with GREAT results.......you want to do GREAT  work dont you ?  Take'em out!
Greg Livbucks
Platinum Member

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 09:23:03 AM »

I thought T was talking about me there for a second. Whew!
monarch
Bronze Member

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 09:44:24 AM »

Thanks guys - that is all I wanted to know.  No short cuts, just the best way for a top job.  It is just that I see some of your excellent eye work on display that shows full eyelids and I wondered if they were split at all.  I want to retain that full look.....
monarch
Bronze Member

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 09:47:01 AM »

They will not lay flat if you use clay and do it right.

Can you please explain BigCountry?  Are you saying to put a thin roll of clay inside the lid?
Greg Livbucks
Platinum Member

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 10:17:07 AM »

Thanks guys - that is all I wanted to know.  No short cuts, just the best way for a top job.  It is just that I see some of your excellent eye work on display that shows full eyelids and I wondered if they were split at all.  I want to retain that full look.....

Clay.
Kyle Lakey
Platinum Member

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 12:36:10 PM »

Put back what you took out while using reference and you will acheive what you are asking for here.

Twisted Tines Taxidermy
-Where your memories afield are our greatest passion-
davehyer
Gold Member

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 12:48:32 PM »

If you get the whole eye area very thin as well as the eye lid, and make sure you get clay all the way up in there where the lid is then you can shape it however you want it and itwill stay there.

It also shrinks very little, if you watch it fo ra day or so after mounting and adjust when needed you will have to use very little epoxy sculpt for finishing and in the end have a much nicer mount.

The toes you step on today might be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!
Hoytman
Platinum Member

UTA Member

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 01:28:34 PM »

The eyelids need to be split.. Both top and bottom and the whole eye surface surrounding the eye opening itself thinned very well.. and evenly.. A few years ago I wizzed right on through this part.. Gave it my best... Put some effort into it.. and couldnt figure out why my eyes pulled just a tad.. always had to really babysit them.. used pins.. etc.. my work was mediocre at best.. and always seemed to FIGHT with setting and tucking the eyes.. getting them to look right and when I did, they didnt look the same when they dried..   I took a time out so to speak...

Since.. I spend 5x more time prepping the hide surface.. sewing holes meticuously ensureing no hair is in the opening.. Thinned.. then thinned more... Split to the edged and removed the fatty deposits of the eye.. Same with the lips.. Right in the crease.. turned and fleshed cleanly right to the crease... then more time on the form.. getting everything right.. Now things almost fall in place... and my work has improved 10 folds..  Preperation is the KEY, IMO..

Hoytman

UTA Member
rbear
Platinum Member

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 03:16:10 AM »

Well said Hoytman. I split the lids then do all of the fine detail splitting and thinning after it's tanned. I can do a better job with a tanned hide because it is a little more durable.
Ralph

Common sense is the highest form of logic
3bears
Platinum Member

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 11:47:14 AM »

Split em, if worse comes to worse you can use the lay method. Definitely take your time and don't cut the lash follicles. I prefer to tuck but the lay method works to. If you leave that crud in there, what is gonna happen to the lashes as it dryes? I'm sure it will be harder to keep them how you want them. 3bears
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Deer and Gameheads  |  Topic: Splitting eyelids. « previous next »