Bondo ears
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2014, 02:00:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1612240 Posts in 190431 Topics by 43056 Members
Latest Member: dsdoman
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Bondo ears « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Bondo ears  (Read 1493 times)
Outwoods Taxidermy
Platinum Member

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 01:05:34 AM »

is bondo an adhesive

What Happened to common sense.
Jared Green
Gold Member

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 01:34:55 AM »

Don't be afraid to "abandon ship" if the ear isn't going well. As it starts to kick, if you're not happy with what you have, simply pull the partially formed bondo liner back out as you turn the ear inside out. Wash with acetone and try again. 

Jared Green

\"And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ.\" Colossians 4:18
trbruning
Silver Member

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 04:51:21 PM »

outwoods, bondo is not an adhesive but it is a very good filler. bondo will initially stick to most things it is applied on but it will not serve as any type of adhesive
BuckSlayer11

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 07:28:02 PM »

Bondo easily comes off the hair, just leave it till it kicks and starts to firm a bit...wire brush and it comes of with little effort.
[/quote]

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Well forgive me for the false statement....I've have trouble in the past with this......i had lots of trouble! Would me using fiberglass condo affect this? Idk why I couldn't get it off
Tanglewood Taxidermy
Platinum Member

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 08:35:44 PM »

I saw in, I think breakthrough magazine were, I think it was Joe Meder, bondoed the ear of, I think a kudu, and when it was cured he removed the bondo liner and sanded it, ruffed it up, put veins on it, glued it and stuck it back into the ear making it a custom earliner. Food for thought.
Dennis Bragg
Platinum Member

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2012, 08:56:32 PM »

Bondo easily comes off the hair, just leave it till it kicks and starts to firm a bit...wire brush and it comes of with little effort.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Well forgive me for the false statement....I've have trouble in the past with this......i had lots of trouble! Would me using fiberglass condo affect this? Idk why I couldn't get it off
[/quote]

Not sure on that but I use bondo, resin and glass chop. I don't get much on the hair when I do them but soon as I have it shaped and ready to harden, I use a brass wire brush to comb it right out. I don't sew small holes or tears in ears, just shape like usual and pinch the bit that comes out off, brush out of hair and I'm done with a little finish paint.
Jared Green
Gold Member

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2012, 09:30:33 PM »

I saw in, I think breakthrough magazine were, I think it was Joe Meder, bondoed the ear of, I think a kudu, and when it was cured he removed the bondo liner and sanded it, ruffed it up, put veins on it, glued it and stuck it back into the ear making it a custom earliner. Food for thought.

You have to use a release agent or you'll never get the bondo liner out in one piece (tanning oil works great) Let the bondo completely harden before removing.

Kj- If you try to get the bondo off before it starts to kick, it's sticky. Wait until it starts to kick, but don't wait until it completely hardens. Acetone will help with removal if it's being stubourne.

Jared Green

\"And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ.\" Colossians 4:18
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Bondo ears « previous next »