Porcupine skull
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 12:02:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1618086 Posts in 191244 Topics by 43230 Members
Latest Member: heatherpatton
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: Porcupine skull « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Porcupine skull  (Read 1349 times)
DAStrapper

« on: April 12, 2012, 04:13:20 PM »

I have one I want to boil and bleach do I have to protect the teeth when boiling to keep them the color they are?
sunparakeet
Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 05:16:35 PM »

They will stay that color but boiling may cause them to split and break apart.  I would use another method such as maceration to clean the skull if it is an important skull and you want it to look really nice... and if you use peroxide instead of bleach it will not damage the skull :)
DAStrapper

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 07:02:53 PM »

Thank you Sun. This was my first post and have alot to learn.
sunparakeet
Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 09:57:00 PM »

I have definitely learned a lot on here!  If you search "maceration" you can find easy tutorials on how to do it.  And if you do macerate the skull... the teeth will turn black!  But when you peroxide it, they will go back to the normal color!  It's kind of cool.  It only happens with rodent skulls I think.     

Good luck with your skull!
lizardguts
Platinum Member

skull collector

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 10:51:18 PM »

Boiling and bleach are about the worst things you could do to a skull. I agree about the maceration, and also look up "degreasing". If you macerate the teeth will slide right out
DAStrapper

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 12:50:45 PM »

I shouldn't say boil and bleach its more like simmer and peroxcide. I have done 2 deer skulls that turned out to my satisfaction. (meaning they did'nt fall a part on me. LOL) I was concerned with the smaller and more delicate skull might be a differant story.

I am going to try the maseration. In the video he had a heater in the bucket do know what kind of heater? Like a fish tank heater or is there a taxidermy heater. Sorry for the silly questions still learning.
sunparakeet
Silver Member

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 02:16:15 PM »

You can use a fish tank heater to macerate.  Try to find one that goes up to at least 90... the one I had went to 92 but I busted it :)  They are pretty fragile, I use bucket heaters with thermostats now.

If you get a fish tank heater it will not get hot enough to use for degreasing, but you can degrease the skull by soaking it in acetone or ammonia.  That way you can degrease at room temperature.  

If you don't plan on doing a bunch of skulls and it's warm where you live, you don't actually need to buy a heater at all. You can just put the skull in a bucket of water outside.  But it will take quite a bit longer! 
DAStrapper

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 08:57:23 AM »

Thanks Sun! Just this one post has shown me how much I have to learn. I really appreciate the help.
Sea Wolf
Platinum Member

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 09:34:19 AM »

Submersible fish tank heaters are great for maceration. Get a good one. Look through this post.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,125253.0.html

Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: Porcupine skull « previous next »