Odd antlers for my pied mount
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2014, 01:17:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1573361 Posts in 184687 Topics by 42030 Members
Latest Member: Waters Edge
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Deer and Gameheads  |  Topic: Odd antlers for my pied mount « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Odd antlers for my pied mount  (Read 660 times)
phoenix-cry
Platinum Member

« on: April 12, 2012, 09:32:07 PM »

I'm going to be doing a pied buck lifesize and I wanted some really cool antlers to go with him.  I found this set.  Now I'm going to have to learn how to color them (I'll be hunting that information down in the tutorials, I'm sure I've seen it there).  I'm not sure what is on the skull (won this on ebay), hopefully they will work out.  And if not I'll just mount them on the wall.  So...what do you think?  Good for a pied buck?  Originally he was a spike buck...is it Kosher to put larger antlers on him? 

Sorry about the small pics.

Here is the buck:

I paid a little much for him, but I don't care I LOVE his pattern, the best pied I've ever seen.
buckwounder
Platinum Member

Sometimes you get lucky...

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 09:53:02 PM »

Looks like thats dried skin on the skull, try rehydrating it in water for a while and see if you can pull it off. Mounting the antlers on that cape may pose problems, and depending on the size of the cape, may look out of proportion. you may also have to enlarge the place where the skin is pulled around the pedicle. However! You can make it work. And I think it would make a sweet looking mount. Unique antlers+ unique cape... sweet!  Post pics when its done!

phoenix-cry
Platinum Member

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 09:58:32 PM »

Yeah, I thought I'd compare the skull and ped size to the original spike cap (which I'm also getting).  I'll have to see both in hand. If it doesn't work out I'm still happy to get this rack, it's cool (or at least I think so). 
buckwounder
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 10:01:32 PM »

You can make the pedicles work, you just have to trim it out... just make sure its in the same place on both sides, same size etc.

phoenix-cry
Platinum Member

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 10:02:32 PM »

Thanks for the tip! 
buckwounder
Platinum Member

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 10:05:48 PM »

Thats just my guess. I hope a couple of the deer guys will chime in and tell u whether my info is in fact correct :p Being that i have never mounted a deer in my life lol

little fred
Platinum Member

R.I.P all my fallen taxidermy brother's

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 11:09:45 PM »

;D ;D ;D so your the one who bought him out from under me.... >:(         congrates  ;D

freddy

phoenix-cry
Platinum Member

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 11:12:10 PM »

From under ya?  I was the only one who bid.  Giggle.
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Deer and Gameheads  |  Topic: Odd antlers for my pied mount « previous next »