Bondo ears / pre-sculpted butts
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2014, 07:51:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1617953 Posts in 191224 Topics by 43226 Members
Latest Member: Twin Taxidermy
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Deer and Gameheads  |  Topic: Bondo ears / pre-sculpted butts « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Bondo ears / pre-sculpted butts  (Read 1515 times)
Redfisher
Bronze Member

« on: April 11, 2012, 02:32:39 PM »

Does anyone use the pre-sculpted ear butts with the bondo ear method?  I have a Rick Carter video and he mentioned this in the video.  I know, why would u just not use plastic liners and butts, my answer is, bondo works for me but my clay ear butts need alot of help.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
HunterBrowning
Bronze Member

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 02:40:52 PM »

I've never done it that way but have tried the opposite... Liners with clay butts for early season thin, crisp, detailed ears.
Dennis Bragg
Platinum Member

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 02:42:18 PM »

I don't.. but using something already done for you won't help you learn to shape them unless it's for reference. If you don't have a reference piece to go by you should get one, big help seeing what you need to shape and how it's shaped. ;)
tazzymoto
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 02:59:09 PM »

I use them with my comercial mounts w/ bodo-hair , They work great

bowerbird
Silver Member

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 09:05:26 PM »

The sooner you get away from bondo ears ,,the better your mounts will look
They split over time, break when they roll-over, or the tips get bumped,, are clubby and thick,,,(as the above said, do not look thin and crisp),,, are non transparent when it comes to competition work, and impracticle to create  veined work in summer capes,,and if one is the wrong shape, that cannot be altered unless you peel the bondo out, with earliners, i can hit it with a hot air gun and reshape ,, even after mounted,,,and you can anchor the earliner into a nice clay or slow set mache butt
I can bend an ear at right angles, and it WILL spring right  back to shape with an earliner.
Redfisher
Bronze Member

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 10:05:53 PM »

Thanks for the advice.
nalley1952
Silver Member

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 03:45:47 PM »

They split over time, break when they roll-over, or the tips get bumped,, are clubby and thick,,,(as the above said, do not look thin and crisp),,, are non transparent when it comes to competition work, and impracticle to create  veined work in summer capes,,and if one is the wrong shape, that cannot be altered unless you peel the bondo out, with earliners, i can hit it with a hot air gun and reshape ,, even after mounted,,,and you can anchor the earliner into a nice clay or slow set mache butt
I can bend an ear at right angles, and it WILL spring right  back to shape with an earliner.

Nice, you've got no idea what your talking about! 
Dennis Bragg
Platinum Member

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 03:50:06 PM »

Nice, you've got no idea what your talking about! 

Some can...some can't.   ::)
bowerbird
Silver Member

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 11:45:42 PM »

HA,,,,that's a bit harsh ,,dont know what im talking about???
LOL
YES,,,  after 35 years ,,A Master World Show  title, two NTA National Titles,  a Competitors Award,  and an Award of Excellence,,,,,,ha im a complete imbecile.
But who cares!
(As Archie Philips would say,,rub brass all over your face,,, you have to read his book on that one)

If anyone can show me a Bondo ear doing this,,(even a complete 180 on thinner ears,,and coming back to normal),,as well as being transparent to the torch in judging and beautifully thin for the likes of commercial  Kudus , then i stand corrected.
In fact i will pay your airfare to come here and show me how you can produce a flexible, transparent,  ultra thin bondo ear that will never drum whilst still retaining the cartilage and is as thin as an earliner.

The first two photoos are of an earliner ear
the bottom one a bondo ear done by another taxidermist

Anyone can make earliners once they cast their own cartilage molds,,its very simple,,and when you get those Namibian capes with the guts of the ears torn out and  no cartilages at all,,or better still chewed away by weavels and rodents whilst in storage,,,THAT walks the talk.
No place for ooooooozy bodo filler there!
The one exception i have it for is commercial pig ears.

The split ears are Kudu ears done with bondo and the one  bent over is an earliner ear .

All i wish to point out to the  beginners here,  is that liner ears, the same principles used by Akeley and Coleman Jonas,, over time are more durable, and present better
Just take a peep at the Amercan Museum of Natural History NY.
No banana blesbok or bifold Kudu ears there  !

* Copy_of_SAMBAR_DEVIL_HOG_DEER_FORM_073.jpg (35.41 kB, 360x480 - viewed 423 times.)

* SAMBAR_DEVIL_HOG_DEER_FORM_072.jpg (29.15 kB, 360x480 - viewed 423 times.)

* SAMBAR_DEVIL_HOG_DEER_FORM_084.jpg (43.98 kB, 640x480 - viewed 420 times.)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 11:58:57 PM by bowerbird » Logged
Daniel M.
Platinum Member

Tongo, the best dog in the world. (Saarloos)

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 11:51:09 PM »

wow!!! How can that kudu ear bend like that without the skin cracking??? thanks for sharing those pictures
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Deer and Gameheads  |  Topic: Bondo ears / pre-sculpted butts « previous next »