First antelope problems
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2014, 05:33:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1617735 Posts in 191197 Topics by 43219 Members
Latest Member: DesertScorpion90
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: First antelope problems « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: First antelope problems  (Read 722 times)
ocontoflash

« on: April 17, 2012, 05:49:18 PM »

I mounted an antelope for a friend about two years ago. He has informed me that there is a musky smell from the neck area when ever you are within five feet of the animal. We have tried freebreezing it, and even tried McKenzie's odor eliminator with no prevail. I have done some research and read through the archives to come to the conclusion that there are some glands in the neck area that were not been removed. my question now is where are they any and are they removeable after  mounting? Any other info is greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time
Rackmastr
Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 06:24:13 PM »

The 'glands' in the antelope are in the same areas as the dark patches.  They are quite thick and require some good fleshing to get all of the material out of them.  They can remain almost hidden if you dont know where to locate them and flesh them properly.

As for fixing them after mounting, I could see it as being a huge undertaking due to their location and the mounts age. I couldnt really help ya on that one but someone else with more knowledge might chime in.
Bob Mead
Silver Member

Mead Taxidermy Studio, LLC

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 06:41:33 PM »

That's exactly what the problem is...and those glands are hard to identify from the skin side if you don't know they are there.  I suspect the black cheek patches will probably slip sometime in the near future as well because of the glands still being in the skin.

You may have to invest in another cape and try again.  I was thinking about maybe injecting something to kill the smell but I don't know what that would be, plus the skin is going to be hard at this point. 

Is the skin tanned or DPd?  If it's tanned, you may be able to soak it up and get it cleaned out.  If it's DPd, I'll defer advice to someone else as this is not my method of hide preparation.
ocontoflash

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 08:37:21 PM »

The hide was tanned. My next question would be, how noticeable are these glands to find if I tried to rehydrate the hide and reflesh?
3bears
Platinum Member

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 09:13:29 PM »

The area on the back of the cheek that is covered in black hair is where they are located. It can sometimes be up to 1/2 inch thick. Pretty much unnoticeable from the skin side. At this point I don't think you have much to lose. If it were me I would try and rehydrate it but I would definitely have another cape on stand by. I sure that is what is gonna be the outcome any way. Chalk it up to lessons learned. Good luck, 3bears
Paul B
Platinum Member

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 01:15:00 PM »

You would have to rehydrate the mount and undo the stitches and hope to remove the cape up to the gland area which can be a 3 by 4 inch area on the neck and cheek and scrape that area clean. Not the easiest thing to do but you may be lucky if the glue lets you do so. I would get a spare cape, they are a dime a dozen and may save you more headaches in the longrun.
ocontoflash

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 04:56:15 PM »

Thanks all for the advice! The hardest lessons learned are the ones that are never forgotten!
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: First antelope problems « previous next »