largemouth jaw meat
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 23, 2014, 11:03:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1625191 Posts in 192456 Topics by 43492 Members
Latest Member: lorensend
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear! Please Click Here for full details and to enter.
You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: largemouth jaw meat « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: largemouth jaw meat  (Read 2113 times)
Cecil
Platinum Member

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2012, 03:23:42 PM »

I'm with Cecil. Musky and and northerns only.  I asked a buddy of mine if he wanted me to freshen up his 24" bass I did for him 20 years ago. There is absolutely no grease bleed on this fish. My 20 year old paint job looks like a first grader did it.LOL. I know I do a much more thorough job on the fleshing and degreasing of a fish today, especially the head of a bass. I don't know if I may be missing something or not, interesting.

Cecil, we will have to start a Hacksidermy.net web site for people like us or maybe Ken can give us a hacksidermy forum on this site.

O.K. as long as you don't call me a basement bandit.  ;D

My biggest fear is dying and my wife selling all of my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it.
muddler

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2012, 09:34:50 PM »

cecil, would you post somepics on the removal process from the outside of a northern?
thanks in advance.
ed
den007
Platinum Member

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2012, 10:16:31 PM »

Sure, cheek meat is the big tasty............jaw meat........I take it out of all pike, never bothered with bass. Never had any problems either.

Dennis Murawska
Angler's Art Taxidermy
"To live is not necessary...
To fish is necessary."   Latin inscription
roundyracer
Silver Member

been to the mountain and seen the elephant.usmc 68

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2012, 10:29:41 PM »

Ive gotten repeat clients over 25 yrs old and have never had a complaint particular with bass.Ive cleaned and scraped inside the cheek and did it again for insurance.A little borax after tan and moving on.However the first Northern I used a ton of filler and seems a gal of perfume.You sometimes learn the hardway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :'(
Brandon Wilbur
Silver Member

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2012, 08:46:55 AM »

Being in Ga I haven't fooled with any pike or musky yet.But what about striped bass?I imagine this would be a needed step if using the real head?...thanks to Cecil in advance as well for the pics.I skinned a 20lb striped yesterday and this was in the back of my head the whole time.I would like to get it out of there but the meat I THINK y'all are talking about looks like it would be easier to take out from the inside because of the bony plates on the bottom....Unless the fish had some decent chompers on it.....looking forward to the pics

If you dont have time to do it right the first time when are you going to find time to do it over?

GTA member
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2012, 09:27:57 AM »

THANK YOU CECIL.  I've been at this a week or two myself, and I NEVER remove the "jaw meat" from a bass.  DO NOT CONFUSE THE ISSUE WITH CHEEK MEAT!!!  A bass, even that proverbial 23" one, doesn't have that much meat in the jaw for me to concern myself.  I let it dry for 1 week or two and then I rebuild the shrunk area and paint it.  Like Cecil, if that makes me a "haxidermist", then I'm guilty as charged.

Now remember, it's BASS, bluegills, and sunfish I'm talking about.  Not pike or salmonids.

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
Brandon Wilbur
Silver Member

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2012, 09:37:49 AM »

I did some searching and found your pics of the removal process and now I understand your removal process...That is the meat in the mandible.....Also found some pics from Jim tucker that appear to be showing to remove the meat BETWEEN the mandibles under the tounge....I am a but confused

If you dont have time to do it right the first time when are you going to find time to do it over?

GTA member
Cecil
Platinum Member

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2012, 10:16:19 AM »

I did some searching and found your pics of the removal process and now I understand your removal process...That is the meat in the mandible.....Also found some pics from Jim tucker that appear to be showing to remove the meat BETWEEN the mandibles under the tounge....I am a but confused

Brandon,

Can you tell me where you found the pics. I can't find them myself.

I never mess with the tongue, just each side of the mandible.

My biggest fear is dying and my wife selling all of my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it.
Brandon Wilbur
Silver Member

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2012, 01:37:54 PM »

Go to the search bar and type in "jaw meat" two of the first few post have jims pics...Yours is towared the bottom.If I were better with pics and such I would post it here...Sorry

Brandon,

Can you tell me where you found the pics. I can't find them myself.

I never mess with the tongue, just each side of the mandible.

GTA member
M.T.
Platinum Member

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2012, 03:49:58 PM »

Never worried about the jaw meat in  a bass. Just like Cecil and George, I'm a professional hacksidermist! Only pike and muskies, the jaw meat seems to be different in those fish.
Cecil
Platinum Member

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2012, 05:03:12 PM »

Thanks Brandon.

Here is a link to pics of removing the jaw meat from a northern pike.

Remember if you don't puncture the inside of the mouth you won't have to do any filling, sewing, gluing etc. Propping the mouth open will close the incision.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,53829.0.html

classic tails
Gold Member

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2012, 10:44:41 AM »

Read it totally wrong.. But thanks for the kind words and correction.. I swear I saw cheek meat.

It is better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb...
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: largemouth jaw meat « previous next »