Only Foxes Slipping
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 31, 2014, 07:23:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1619573 Posts in 191511 Topics by 43281 Members
Latest Member: Coalhillkustomz
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear! Please Click Here for full details and to enter.
You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Tanning  |  Topic: Only Foxes Slipping « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Only Foxes Slipping  (Read 861 times)
TrapperTim

« on: May 13, 2012, 10:06:22 PM »

New to this forum but not new to tanning... for the first time ever this year I lost several foxes to slippage but not coyotes, raccoons, skunks, otter or muskrats. I did the skinning, fleshing, stretching and drying... all were stored and treated the same way. In fact several foxes done at the same time did not slip in same tanning batch... Any ideas on what might have caused it? The slippage ranged from 80% to 5%. Thanks
MVT
Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 12:04:24 AM »

snared or leg hold? I would say they laid around to long after they died before you got them taken care of. Doesn't take but an hour or two for fox to start to turn if conditions are right.
TrapperTim

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 01:17:10 PM »

Thanks MVT... That might just be it. We had an especially warm winter and about half of my foxes were snared especially the reds w/ slipped the most.
One grey that slipped had been killed by dogs and I did it up anyways to try and salvage it and it slipped... so makes sense about the time to spoil.
I will have to rethink about snaring when it is too warm or be real careful to keep them alive.
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Tanning  |  Topic: Only Foxes Slipping « previous next »