Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 03, 2014, 12:33:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1606194 Posts in 189492 Topics by 42881 Members
Latest Member: remington74
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Fish sealer « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Fish sealer  (Read 1437 times)
scot14222

« on: April 21, 2012, 01:46:59 PM »

I saw a guy using shellac on a you tube video for fish sealer and was looking for a second opinion , could someone let me know if they have used it for that.

Thanks
Shooterschoice
Silver Member

work is for people who dont fish

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 03:41:15 PM »

theres alot of people that use shell ac as fish sealer i personally dont i use super fish sealer from research mannakins

Walleye Slayer
cooey2260

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 06:50:34 PM »

i use shellac then paint it then coat the entire fish in enviro-tex works for me
John C
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 08:26:56 PM »

Shellac, seals everything and works perfect everytime.
TMALONE
Platinum Member
Location: ARKANSAS (halfway between Booger Hollow and Toad Suck)

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 10:58:53 PM »

I seal with shellac and have for almost 40 years!

linder
Platinum Member

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 02:32:56 AM »

And you can get this at Wal-Mart ?
Warbird
Silver Member

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 10:00:21 AM »

I've found it best to seal with the same product that you're going to gloss with, for compatibility issues. Read the contents of the cans and go from there. Last one I did I sealed with automotive urethane clear, sealed to set colors in middle of paint job (before markings) and then glossed with same product. Try the automotive clears, I'll bet you're eventually going to end up using them down the road. Spray with a detail gun and use a respirator. Clean up with enamel reducer.
I've had paint jobs "checker" because of non-compatible products, ouch! Hope this helps........John
Driftless
Gold Member

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 10:02:58 AM »

X2 on Super Fish Sealer.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Happy, Happy, Happy.
scot14222

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 11:06:29 AM »

Thanks for the info guys, it sounds like shellac is pretty good deal.
John C
Platinum Member

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 07:25:02 PM »

Shellac is a sealer, you can seal with shellac, and once it is dry spray lacquer over it, or water based or any of the auto semi urethane's! Then you can come back and spray additional colors over that.
xtpoz

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 06:10:02 AM »

I've found it best to seal with the same product that you're going to gloss with, for compatibility issues. Read the contents of the cans and go from there. Last one I did I sealed with automotive urethane clear, sealed to set colors in middle of paint job (before markings) and then glossed with same product. Try the automotive clears, I'll bet you're eventually going to end up using them down the road. Spray with a detail gun and use a respirator. Clean up with enamel reducer.
I've had paint jobs "checker" because of non-compatible products, ouch! Hope this helps........John

I have been painting cars for over 10 years and would never think of using clear as a sealer.  Clear is a top coat.  Sounds risky to me and might bubble in time.
Glenn M.
Silver Member

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 11:27:27 AM »

I have been painting cars for over 10 years and would never think of using clear as a sealer.  Clear is a top coat.  Sounds risky to me and might bubble in time.

Sometimes I use 4 to 1 auto clear coat as a sealer. I haven't had any issues with it.
Joel22

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 07:48:29 PM »

I have used Bullseye Shellac and found that the paint cracks
Go with the same sealer as gloss.
xtpoz

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 12:12:53 AM »

Did you ever see a car with the paint peeling off and where it came off is still glossy looking?  That's because someone painted over the clear without scuffing it first. The paint had nothing to adhere too.  However I don't know if a fish would have the same reaction as quick or not due to it not being exposed to direct sun light.  "I personally" would not take that risk. 

Some clears do have a time frame that they can be recoated before they seal over.

John C
Platinum Member

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 07:37:56 AM »

SInce 1977 I have not had any fish sealed with shellac then painted crack.    Kilz used in homes to seal under water based, oil based and tons of other types of paints is shellac.

My bet if you have paint cracking, the fish was not dry!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Fish sealer « previous next »