Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 01, 2014, 09:42:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1605702 Posts in 189423 Topics by 42868 Members
Latest Member: shreyaojhaetrade
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Antler placement....? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Antler placement....?  (Read 2565 times)
Thefishen1

« on: April 22, 2012, 09:18:47 PM »

On my last deer I mounted I was dinged on my antler placement, and they said it threw the whole thing off.When I place them (positive set with bondo) I triple checked them to the measurements I had taken and I thought they looked correct. Soooo I took a couple pics so I can get some different opinions. Right now the antlers are in the proper spot according to the measurements I have taken.Tip of the antler to the nose,tip of the antler to the front corner of the eye, and from the base of the antler to the corner of the eye.

Let me know what you think...

I'm not a "Rocket Scientist" but you give me a screwdriver (or scalpel) and I'll take one apart....
DaveLemons
Silver Member

davestaxidermystudio.com

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 09:51:46 PM »

to me they look like they are tipped to far forward, set to high and to far back.
main been should be in the same plane as the bridge of the nose.
Drop the antlers down a little, carve a little foam out from in front of the skull cap so the antlers can slide forward.
Lean your antlers back a little more and then check your measurement from the front corner to antler burr.
huntnut78
Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 10:02:25 PM »

Tipped too far forward. If that throws off your tip to nose measurement then you need to take a little off the front of the skullplate, or not sweat it. What is more important is the plane of the bridge of the nose continues into the main beams until the curve. Look at some reference of live deer from the side and you will see what I mean.
huntnut78
Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 10:03:41 PM »

Dang... Dave beat me to it!
tem
Platinum Member

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 11:47:33 PM »

i would cut the form before the skull plate. its a lot easier,and you can take a little off at a time.
Thefishen1

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 05:58:59 PM »

I didn't think it looked right to me either,I shaved a little off the manikin and it snugged right up and it looks much better I think and all the measurements are good...thanks

I'm not a "Rocket Scientist" but you give me a screwdriver (or scalpel) and I'll take one apart....
DaveLemons
Silver Member

davestaxidermystudio.com

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 11:52:04 PM »

Looks much better. Now how does the cape fit.
Thefishen1

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 05:09:33 AM »

I test fit the cape before I started the antlers, I needed to sand about 1/2 to 3/4 inch off the neck.I'm going to test fit again..."messure twice cut once".The face looked good though, I had a gap in the back on my slit a little sanding well do.

turkeyjim
Platinum Member

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 07:38:37 PM »

This should be the proper antler and earbutt location, not just rule of thumb. We've had judges tell this at
our state competition. Yours is still 1/4 to 1/2" high. Here's a reference pic I found, the antler's and ear butts do line up.
Jim

* antler set buck sk.JPG (32.9 kB, 500x334 - viewed 533 times.)

* mannikin.jpg (61.37 kB, 410x245 - viewed 525 times.)

Jim's Whitetail Taxidermy I do the best with what I got, just remember it wasn't a moose you shot!
Matt
Platinum Member

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 10:03:49 PM »

There will always be exceptions to the rule and that is why good measurements are key. I just mounted one last week that breaks all the rules!(LOL) Don't have a pic, but his mainbeams shoot straight up off the head.

Low T
Platinum Member

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 06:44:22 AM »

Taking a nose to antler burr measurement doesn't keep you from setting the rack to high in the sky. Anyone can set the rack to the pre skin measurements and still be to high. If you can see turkey Jim's photos, he pointed it out to you.
Who says that the form is correct? If you set the skull to the top edge of the form, you will most always be to high.

* tacklebox.jpg (28.76 kB, 408x446 - viewed 480 times.)

And no, I do not own a Tshirt that has a wolf or unicorn on it.
There is no such thing as gun control, only people control.
Stop Rot,,use it or lose it.
Rest well our friend, you are missed.
gade04
Gold Member

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 12:11:25 PM »

If you measure nose to burr and nose to tip of the main beam before skinning, wouldn't that give you correct height, tilt, and forward/backward?

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." George Washington
silverman
Platinum Member

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 12:22:33 PM »

This one seems to go up?

* chris081-1.jpg (101.87 kB, 512x384 - viewed 453 times.)
Low T
Platinum Member

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 08:24:55 AM »

If you measure nose to burr and nose to tip of the main beam before skinning, wouldn't that give you correct height, tilt, and forward/backward?

No, because you didn't measure vertically, only length wise. You can measure from nose to tip of beams and burrs, yet if you raise the rack, you can still get the nose to burr and beam tip measurements, but have the rack raised to high.

Silverman, you got your yellow line off, go from the center of the nostril through the front corner of the eye, the burr should set on that line, there are some exceptions on goofy racks, some racks do tilt forward, and some lay back, but on average, they set on that line.

* pft.jpg (43.82 kB, 512x384 - viewed 443 times.)

And no, I do not own a Tshirt that has a wolf or unicorn on it.
There is no such thing as gun control, only people control.
Stop Rot,,use it or lose it.
Rest well our friend, you are missed.
gade04
Gold Member

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 11:05:48 AM »

No, because you didn't measure vertically, only length wise. You can measure from nose to tip of beams and burrs, yet if you raise the rack, you can still get the nose to burr and beam tip measurements, but have the rack raised to high.

Silverman, you got your yellow line off, go from the center of the nostril through the front corner of the eye, the burr should set on that line, there are some exceptions on goofy racks, some racks do tilt forward, and some lay back, but on average, they set on that line.

But if two legs of the triangle maintain the same length (nose to burr and nose to antler tip) then the third leg should maintain the same length as well (height).

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." George Washington
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Antler placement....? « previous next »