Research Mannikins foam kits " not happy"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 02, 2014, 10:28:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1612500 Posts in 190468 Topics by 43070 Members
Latest Member: cretoxyn
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  General Discussions  |  The Taxidermy Industry  |  Topic: Research Mannikins foam kits " not happy" « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Research Mannikins foam kits " not happy"  (Read 1803 times)
Glass eye
Platinum Member

« on: April 27, 2012, 04:30:14 PM »

I've been buying gal foam from Research for decades now. In the begining both A&B were in metal containers,  now both are in plastic jugs and every time my shop is above 70* degrees the "B" jug burst' a seam and it leaks out all over the place. Besides the financial loss it's a nasty mess to clean.
Anyone else have this problem ?
If so we should collectively call and maybe change this mess.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 05:32:56 PM by Glass eye » Logged
trophybirds.com
Gold Member

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 04:53:24 PM »

call u.s. composites and order...cheaper priced than anywhere ive seen and just for you, they have metal cans.....any pound density under the sun as well.
Keith
Gold Member

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 08:49:31 PM »

Never had a problem with the plastic containers from McKenzie, and the temperature is all over the map in the shop where I work. 

I would just crack the seal of the container enough to allow air exchange with the fluctuating temperature.

The fool says in his heart, there is no God. Ps. 14:1a
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 10:10:34 PM »

You need to call Mark McClean and tell THEM. A polyethylene container is affected by the resin, turns brittle and cracks. Polyurethane containers don't and work MUCH better than metal.

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
charlie
Gold Member

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 02:09:40 PM »

I got my foam from research stored in my 12x12 dry room that I keep at 65-70 degrees and have never had a problem . I sue the foam quite a bit though so maby thats why??

Charlie's Taxidermy, Tenino Wa
Nancy C
Platinum Member

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 02:22:47 PM »

I MUCH prefer the plastic jugs and I've never had a problem with them.  If they are building up enough pressure to split than I suspect that your resin got contaminated somehow. All it takes is too much moisture. Topping each jug off with some circuit cleaner (that spray air in a can) will make your resin last longer.

I quit ordering foam from Research for a couple of years because of those stupid metal cans that they used to have. In fact, I still have the special socket wrench that I had to buy to open that blasted black can!  Never again ...

George Roof
Platinum Member

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 05:13:39 PM »

I don't think it's the temperature.  Like Nancy, McKenzie used to use those silly assed metal cans and they were good for ONE use. Then it took a pipe wrench to get the cap off.  When they acquired Noonkester, I guess they liked his idea of heavy polyurethane jugs and now all it takes is to wipe off the mouth and the lids come off by hand.

In FACT, that's how I found out about the poly used.  I went to the Dollar Store and bought a plastic water jug to transfer the foam out of those metal cans.  within a few days, I had foam seeping out splits in the jugs.  I grabbed an empty Clorox bottle and poured it into that and it never leaked again.  If you get your foam in metal containers, do NOT use milk jugs or the thin polystyrene  crap.  Use the thicker poly urethane jugs like they use for anti-freeze, Clorox, or liquid soap.

buckfever/louisiana
Platinum Member

Glenn G.

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 06:38:40 PM »

George i had what he talking about happen one time. If was in a clear plastic container  . what happened it built up so much pressure in side the seam cracked open on the bottom. There was so much pressure that had  built up the jug would not sit up straight it was bowed outwards. i lost about half of A i think the clearer one. I dont know what type of jug it was George it was clear  more like a jug of  protal oil or safety pickle comes in.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
TMALONE
Platinum Member
Location: ARKANSAS (halfway between Booger Hollow and Toad Suck)

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 06:56:49 PM »

I hated and cursed those darn metal containers too!!!  Plastic jugs MUCH better!

Glass eye
Platinum Member

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 10:11:53 AM »

George i had what he talking about happen one time. If was in a clear plastic container  . what happened it built up so much pressure in side the seam cracked open on the bottom. There was so much pressure that had  built up the jug would not sit up straight it was bowed outwards. i lost about half of A i think the clearer one. I dont know what type of jug it was George it was clear  more like a jug of  protal oil or safety pickle comes in.
Exactly, it was the clear plastic. The light colored is "B .  I've had no problems with McKenzies plastic jugs but I like the density of Research's foam better.
Kerby Ross
Platinum Member

KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 11:43:52 AM »

I still have 2 cans of that the 2-part foam out in a shed......15 years ago?    Never threw them away although I buy foam every year (now in plastic containers).  I keep threatening to open them up (somehow) and see what is still inside?

:)

Kerby...

I'M NOT A TAXIDERMIST, BUT I PLAY ONE ON THE INTERNET
George Roof
Platinum Member

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 12:41:28 PM »

Look guys, I'm not trying to frustrate myself OR you guys, but you need some basic chemistry here.  NO CLEAR CONTAINER WILL WORK.   Unless it's WHITE, it won't work.  The white jugs are polyurethane. You can buy chainsaw oil, peroxide, sulfuric acid, and Clorox in the "correct" type bottle.

charlie
Gold Member

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 04:02:00 PM »

Hmmm, mine are not white but they are working somehow LOL! They both hold the foam just fine, the foam poors out just fine. The cap screws on perfectly  , and they have not split  :P

Charlie's Taxidermy, Tenino Wa
TMALONE
Platinum Member
Location: ARKANSAS (halfway between Booger Hollow and Toad Suck)

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 05:59:59 PM »

I can't remember which supply co. I got mine from, the last two kits I used were and are in clear plastic  galllon jugs.  No problems.

John Mallien
Silver Member

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 12:20:47 AM »

For the past 10 years or more I've always poured my two part foam into laudry detergent bottles (wisk or whatever) because it's easier to pour with the spout.  Not that it matters but it works for me.  I got sick of using a pipe wrench to open the crap up.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  General Discussions  |  The Taxidermy Industry  |  Topic: Research Mannikins foam kits " not happy" « previous next »