New Here - Just started my first project and two simple questions
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 06:51:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1618155 Posts in 191254 Topics by 43230 Members
Latest Member: heatherpatton
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: New Here - Just started my first project and two simple questions « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: New Here - Just started my first project and two simple questions  (Read 2034 times)
NoMoreOldNo7

Huntin Fool

« on: April 29, 2012, 09:51:13 PM »

To start with, love the site. Spent most of today researching and found a ton of information while I was waiting for my first project to defrost, i drake GW Teal. I am now just about ready to start to mount and threw him back in the freezer waiting for the rest of my supplies.

Now for my question, where do I find the extra pair of hands I needed today and do you know where they sell patience in 10 gallon buckets?

Great site, just wanted  to warn you I was in the house.

If you can read this, thank a teacher
If it's in English, thank a soldier
socalmountainman
Gold Member

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 09:58:51 PM »

The extra hands come from the hooks and chains that will hold the carcass for you as you skin. The patience comes from the music you play in the background and the smile you'll get when you are able to look at your finished accomplishment. And don't forget to whistle while you work. Welcome and enjoy the forum!  Joe

"Chip off the old block"
joeym
Platinum Member

Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 10:31:53 PM »

The extra hands come from the hooks and chains that will hold the carcass for you as you skin. The patience comes from the music you play in the background and the smile you'll get when you are able to look at your finished accomplishment. And don't forget to whistle while you work. Welcome and enjoy the forum!  Joe

Good Advice!

Joe Miitchell (aka jkmitch) and Joey Murphey (joeym)

Joey Murphey, Taxidermist    Chunky, Mississippi    www.mstaxidermist.com     http://wokk.com/pages/2965375.php
Keyda81
Gold Member

I'd rather be weird than normal

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 10:36:55 PM »

X2 on the radio, lol.  I got so frustrated with my first project.  I was getting mad at myself, thought I was taking to long.  I was so afraid the hair on my doe was going to slip!  Hubby stepped in and helped me out with the fleshing.  Once I had her all mounted up, it was entirely worth all the aggravation.  Now I'm hooked on taxidermy.  :)  Hang in there and keep at it.

My deer mobile "Emerald" and my baby "Race"
kirk33
Gold Member

lighten up buddy

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 11:48:09 PM »

where are you from?

Providing wholesale fleshing/tanning services, as well as fish mounting for the taxidermy industry.
NoMoreOldNo7

Huntin Fool

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 01:09:44 AM »

I live in So.Cal., but about to move to Truth or Consequences, New Mexico. Haven't had a chance to update my profile, will do it now. Thanks for the replies, will give that radio a try.

Recdec1
Silver Member

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 05:57:54 AM »

X2 on the hooks/chains and the music. When u went to taxi school the guy next to me asked the teacher why we were not using hooks n chains with our bird projects.  I now think it was to stall us a bit because the ones I bought when I got home are time and patients savers.  Just finished my 6th bird to date, cant wait to post pics when complete. Stick with, it gets easier and more enjoyable each time.

Some Jobs To Small, Many Jobs To Big
MLP
Platinum Member

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 07:45:25 PM »

X3 on the hook and chains, and a radio is a must.  Or you can do like MichaelP and get a TV to watch the court TV shows!

I do very much believe we are to hate sin and love the sinner. We just need to also understand that the sin I hate the most should be my own and the sinner I love the most should be the one who has sinned against me.
socalmountainman
Gold Member

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 10:06:04 PM »

X3 on the hook and chains, and a radio is a must.  Or you can do like MichaelP and get a TV to watch the court TV shows!

No. Michael watches NASCAR. 

"Chip off the old block"
papagoose
Gold Member

papagoose and goslings

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 02:24:00 AM »

background noise is a must. have never used hooks and chains unless i was in the ditch maybe will give it a try though welcome good luck and Patience is sold by the 20 gal bucket cant get it in just 10 gal

Papagoose
NoMoreOldNo7

Huntin Fool

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 12:00:27 AM »

Thanks guys, tried the music today and the time just flew by. Will post pics of my first disaster in the next day or two.

Hey socalmountain man, hope there's nothing wrong with NASCAR, I've been hooked for years watching them drivers go round 'n round.

NoMoreOldNo7

Huntin Fool

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 10:59:52 PM »

OK, finally finished up my first project. Thank God I wasn't being timed cause I would have failed. But I figure with a little pratice the process will go much quicker and easier. I did run into one problem, the eyes I ordered were too big for the head I ordered. I had already cleaned up the skull from the bird so I just filled it in with puddy and matched it to the head I had bought. I think it turned out ok. If anyone feels like giving my bird a critique I would appreciate it. I realize the eye pics are not real good, I'll take a couple more tomorrow. Just the fact that in some ways it resembles a duck I am happy for my first attempt. The eyes look a little screwed up, but the white part showing is feathers, but I can do a lot better job that my first effort. Btw, the radio worked out great. The only problem was the race was not on radio out here. I have three more GWT and a Ross' goose to practice on until hunting season. And thanks for the welcome.
Frank

Hammer
Platinum Member

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 08:05:02 AM »

Well let's start by saying welcome to New Mexico whenever you get here. There are many great taxidermist here and the opportunities to learn from these guys. Our show next year will be in Las Cruces, a couple hours south of T or C. Hope you can make it and we would look forward to meeting you and hope you would join the state association. We have a bunch of great people here and would like to wish you the best and once again welcome to the land of ( Entrapment) oh sorry about that meant Enchantment.
Regards, Geno
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 08:24:56 AM »

I was about to say x2 with what Feather said, but I just have to offer some extra advice.  Your eyes are set on the artificial head in a crater. That's going to cause some issues. A live duck has about 270 degrees visibility which means the eyes set outside the contour of the head.

Next is your pose. Though birds can "straight line", the seldom do as the wings are constantly in motion. Greenwings especially are "flappers". They fly right to the water before fluttering and plopping down. Bend you wings slightly and cup them a bit. They fly because they keep a "bubble of air" under their wings.

The skin on the bottom of the skin is dewlapped because you didn't use caulk or a spot of hide paste to "stick" it up.  It's not an issue as the skin WILL dry but the caulk would give you a jump start of positioning.

NOW, the bottom job is that you did a phenomenal job.  ANYONE who'd tackle a greenwing as their first tries is really taking on a job that even seasoned taxidermists can have issues with. Most people will tell you it gets easier, but I haven't found that.  As you get more experience, you'll find you need more diligence in getting the mount to look like your mind imagined it to be.Congratulations.

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
NoMoreOldNo7

Huntin Fool

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 11:35:28 PM »

Hey Hammer, thanks for the heads up regarding next year's show in NM. Would love to hook up with someone when I get there to help out and get me some instruction. Both the wife and I love New Mexico and can't wait to settle down there. We chose T or C because it seems like there are more opportunities for hunting and fishing, plus we love the town and the people.

Feather & George - Thanks for the advice regarding the eyes. Today I went out and cupped and repositioned the wings some as you suggested and it does look more natural. I have not heard of using caulk or hide paste to attach the bottom skin to the body, I will research that and definitely use that method on my next project.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your advice and will be using those tips on my next bird. I will defiantly use a proper fitting head & eyes next time, work a little closer on the attaching the skin around the eyes and spend a lot more time posing. All in all I had a great time working on that GWT. I wish I kept some other birds from hunting season, but I'll work with what I have (a couple more teal and a Ross goose). Too bad though I had a fantastic waterfowl season out here this year, took probably close to a 100 ducks and a dozen geese. This time next year I'll have plenty to work on.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 02:04:33 PM by NoMoreOldNo7 » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: New Here - Just started my first project and two simple questions « previous next »