Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 26, 2014, 03:08:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1596695 Posts in 188211 Topics by 42648 Members
Latest Member: MrAndersonGCC
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Bird Taxidermy  |  Topic: Need help... pintail drake « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Need help... pintail drake  (Read 675 times)
mcrib1981
Bronze Member

« on: May 01, 2012, 01:02:04 AM »

lookin' for some advice so I don't screw this up again.  I know the wing isn't tucked, but the guy really wanted it out so thats what I did.  I'm looking for some help on the legs.  I know there off, but my question is, is this because I've got the wires anchored to low and too far back.  thats the only reason i can come up with.  when i tried to position the legs as they should be, they were way to far back on the body and it looked like it would fall over.  any advice would be great.  thanks.

* 1.jpg (100.49 kB, 526x394 - viewed 297 times.)
Heck
Platinum Member

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 01:21:40 AM »

How did you determine the anchor point for the legs? Did you use the leg bones? Did you measure the carcase?

There is a fine line between confidence and cockyness!
alan webfoot
Platinum Member

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 08:46:28 AM »

Heck ,,,exactly thats why I incorporate the femur ''bone'' into the mount. Using measurements and wire to replace bone you can insert it correctly,, position it with balance,, and adjust to fit your base after stitching .  mcrib1981 if you attached the lower leg bone wire etc. to the place where the upper femur bone wire should have gone,the leg will be way too far back on the bird .The ''knee'' of the bird should actually be up under the wing ''elbow'' where the secondaries start .
Brandon Zahn
Bronze Member

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 09:18:59 AM »

I don't think the leg being too far back is the major problem in your balance being off... Yes it is a little far back and definitely too low on the body... But by looking and the side pockets and elbow on this mount I'd say it's only less than a inch too far back...your biggest problem is the amount of breast you are showing by having your neck bent wrong. This is adding way too much length the the front of your bird and thus making the legs look way farther back then they are.. I'd say the best way to fix that mount is to make him high headed and more alert so you can pull head up and get rid of that neck bend in breast area... And it would also allow you to be able to lift front of bird up a tad so that they feet being a little farther back would sorta be closer to right.
mcrib1981
Bronze Member

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 12:07:45 PM »

thanks for the feedback guys
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Bird Taxidermy  |  Topic: Need help... pintail drake « previous next »