What's the best way to kill a snake for taxidermy purposes?
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2014, 10:48:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1618013 Posts in 191232 Topics by 43227 Members
Latest Member: Ramsey
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Reptile Taxidermy  |  Topic: What's the best way to kill a snake for taxidermy purposes? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What's the best way to kill a snake for taxidermy purposes?  (Read 2926 times)
RedWolf7
Gold Member

« on: May 01, 2012, 01:31:48 PM »

I killed yet another big fat copperhead snake in my yard yesterday, and I'll admit I did not have mounting in mind.  It's not only merely dead but really most sincerely dead.  I chopped it in 3 pieces with a shovel.  If I were to save the next one for taxidermy, what is the best way kill so that the hide can be mounted or used as a fashion accessory?
gade04
Gold Member

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 01:33:50 PM »

Hit it on top of the head with a boat paddle. LOL.  A well placed .22LR.

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." George Washington
aspenangler (Shane)
Gold Member

B+______><(((>______><(((>

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 02:00:37 PM »

freeze it

Proud member of the PTA, OTA and WVTA Board Member
Bob Scott

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 02:13:51 PM »

As things are nowadays, I must suggest that you run away screaming like a little girl, quarantine the area, and call various representatives of local, state, and federal agencies.

But I would drown it at the end of a long stick.  Then freeze it, they don't mind being handled once drowned.
joeym
Platinum Member

Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 02:26:52 PM »

I scoop them up with a pool net.  Then detach the net from the handle into a deep freezer.   Shut the lid and don't open for a day.

Joe Miitchell (aka jkmitch) and Joey Murphey (joeym)

Joey Murphey, Taxidermist    Chunky, Mississippi    www.mstaxidermist.com     http://wokk.com/pages/2965375.php
buckwounder
Platinum Member

Sometimes you get lucky...

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 02:57:22 PM »

x3 or 4 on the freezing

Marty Dupertuis
Platinum Member

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 03:23:45 PM »

I scoop them up with a pool net.  Then detach the net from the handle into a deep freezer.   Shut the lid and don't open for a day.

I always have to open it up and look.  Had a huge Cottonmouth that I thought was dead.  Scared the hell out of me when he moved as I touched him.

The only way is to freeze them.
Yeager1
Platinum Member

Uh-oh, guess what time it is!?

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 04:02:29 PM »

If you can't bring yourself around to freezing them live, a shot to the back of the head with a .22 rat shot isn't too bad as long as it isn't point blank! :D You shoulda chopped it up one more time so it would fit in the garbage bag easier. ;D
BIGLAWE

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 12:03:49 AM »

freeze em
crowskinner

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 04:45:27 PM »

Insult them until they lose the will to live.... or just drown them, but be careful, they can take some serious time under water
Thefishen1
Bronze Member

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 10:00:53 PM »

Believe it or not you take a stick and tap it on the head....I use a long stick, and I tap it pretty good. BECAREFUL freezing them, when they thaw it seems like they come back to life, and they can still bit when there dead.....

I'm not a "Rocket Scientist" but you give me a screwdriver (or scalpel) and I'll take one apart....
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Reptile Taxidermy  |  Topic: What's the best way to kill a snake for taxidermy purposes? « previous next »