What's the best way to kill a snake for taxidermy purposes?
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 30, 2014, 09:40:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1619311 Posts in 191471 Topics by 43273 Members
Latest Member: stainlessmike
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear! Please Click Here for full details and to enter.
You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Reptile Taxidermy  |  Topic: What's the best way to kill a snake for taxidermy purposes? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What's the best way to kill a snake for taxidermy purposes?  (Read 2931 times)
RedWolf7
Gold Member

« on: May 01, 2012, 01:31:48 PM »

I killed yet another big fat copperhead snake in my yard yesterday, and I'll admit I did not have mounting in mind.  It's not only merely dead but really most sincerely dead.  I chopped it in 3 pieces with a shovel.  If I were to save the next one for taxidermy, what is the best way kill so that the hide can be mounted or used as a fashion accessory?
gade04
Gold Member

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 01:33:50 PM »

Hit it on top of the head with a boat paddle. LOL.  A well placed .22LR.

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." George Washington
aspenangler (Shane)
Gold Member

B+______><(((>______><(((>

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 02:00:37 PM »

freeze it

Proud member of the PTA, OTA and WVTA Board Member
Bob Scott

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 02:13:51 PM »

As things are nowadays, I must suggest that you run away screaming like a little girl, quarantine the area, and call various representatives of local, state, and federal agencies.

But I would drown it at the end of a long stick.  Then freeze it, they don't mind being handled once drowned.
joeym
Platinum Member

Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 02:26:52 PM »

I scoop them up with a pool net.  Then detach the net from the handle into a deep freezer.   Shut the lid and don't open for a day.

Joe Miitchell (aka jkmitch) and Joey Murphey (joeym)

Joey Murphey, Taxidermist    Chunky, Mississippi    www.mstaxidermist.com     http://wokk.com/pages/2965375.php
buckwounder
Platinum Member

Sometimes you get lucky...

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 02:57:22 PM »

x3 or 4 on the freezing

Marty Dupertuis
Platinum Member

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 03:23:45 PM »

I scoop them up with a pool net.  Then detach the net from the handle into a deep freezer.   Shut the lid and don't open for a day.

I always have to open it up and look.  Had a huge Cottonmouth that I thought was dead.  Scared the hell out of me when he moved as I touched him.

The only way is to freeze them.
Yeager1
Platinum Member

Uh-oh, guess what time it is!?

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 04:02:29 PM »

If you can't bring yourself around to freezing them live, a shot to the back of the head with a .22 rat shot isn't too bad as long as it isn't point blank! :D You shoulda chopped it up one more time so it would fit in the garbage bag easier. ;D
BIGLAWE

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 12:03:49 AM »

freeze em
crowskinner

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 04:45:27 PM »

Insult them until they lose the will to live.... or just drown them, but be careful, they can take some serious time under water
Thefishen1
Bronze Member

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 10:00:53 PM »

Believe it or not you take a stick and tap it on the head....I use a long stick, and I tap it pretty good. BECAREFUL freezing them, when they thaw it seems like they come back to life, and they can still bit when there dead.....

I'm not a "Rocket Scientist" but you give me a screwdriver (or scalpel) and I'll take one apart....
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Reptile Taxidermy  |  Topic: What's the best way to kill a snake for taxidermy purposes? « previous next »