Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 02, 2014, 04:36:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1598383 Posts in 188459 Topics by 42682 Members
Latest Member: TaxidemistPro
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: preparing buffalo (bison) horns after removal from skull « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: preparing buffalo (bison) horns after removal from skull  (Read 3528 times)
bart91939

« on: May 07, 2012, 05:06:46 PM »

First time at this kinda thing so here goes.
Harvested a good Bison and have the cape in salt and have cleaned and bleached the skull.
when I removed the outer horn sheath there is a rough ragged hair matting like stuff matted to the smooth inner core of the horn.  How do I remove this unsightful stuff and prepare the horn for remounting on the skull.  I plan  on putting a lapidary design of turquoise and apache tears on the skull  itself then reattaching the horns to the cut off stubbs.  Any suggestions as to how to continue with the cleaning and preparing the bleached skull for adding the lapidary material with glue.  (clean with turpentine?)  and how to get rid of the hairlike outer covering on the horns.  Thanks in advance.
Bugs N Bones
Platinum Member

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 08:23:54 PM »

do your research on here and take the time to figure it out for yourself....Everything you need to know is in the forum archives...its all been done before
bart91939

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 09:17:17 PM »

pretty pathetic response.  I did spend several hours using the search engine provided and did NOT find anything about removing the outer hair like stuff from the horn.  Perhaps the search engine needs tweeking? 
Bugs N Bones
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 09:30:46 PM »

dermisted beetles, or a rot bag...
Skull Designs
Gold Member

Skull Designs

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 09:06:34 AM »

whatever you do DO NOT put them in beetles, you wont have any horn left!    take some needle nose pliers and pull the hair out, or just snip it with some scissors close to the base of it, as for the skull, how was it cleaned?, was it degreased? if not, it will need to be done fully for anything to be put on it. If you dont get the grease out it will leech out and make it come off

Skull Designs
Quality European mounts at a great price
bart91939

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 11:19:38 AM »

Skull was cleaned by the fly and maggot method in 2 garbage bags.  horns were removed after about 3 weeks and came of easily and cleanly.  I pressure washed the skull then used peroxide cream from a beauty supply to bleach.  Skull is perfect albiet feels slightyl greasy. However my problem is with the horns.  There is a definate hairy like outer covering attched to the inner core of the horn.  Most of this just pulled off but where it was attched to the inner core has left a rough almost wire brush texture.  some of it scraped off but not wanting to damage the hard core I quit trying with those methods to get it off and went to this forum as I was advised to do for help with this problem.
Thanks for your answer and perhaps my explanation will help with the horn problem.  I will look further into the foum to see if I can find an appropriate degreasing agent.  Again thanks.
Jeff.
Silver Member

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 11:34:49 AM »

It's definitely not degreased if you just pressure washed it, no matter how "white" you got it. From your description, I'm having a very hard time understanding what the problem is with the horns. We just bag the skull and add a bit of warm water, keep it in a spot that will allow the condensation to remain inside the bag (think warm area) beat the horns with a rubber mallet until they slip off one day. Not too difficult.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Sacramento Skull Works
Wholesale work welcomed
Sacramento Skull Works on Facebook!
bart91939

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 11:56:31 AM »

Got it "white" with peroxide 40% horns are off and came off easily.  It is the Exterior of the horn that has the hairlike covering.  As I said most of it came off just by a little pulling and scraping but still has bristle like areas that I am having the problem with.  Again it is the loose horns exterior that I wish to clean properly and remove this hairy/bristly stuff.
Bugs N Bones
Platinum Member

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 02:30:37 PM »

Skull was cleaned by the fly and maggot method in 2 garbage bags.  horns were removed after about 3 weeks and came of easily and cleanly.  I pressure washed the skull then used peroxide cream from a beauty supply to bleach.  Skull is perfect albiet feels slightyl greasy. However my problem is with the horns.  There is a definate hairy like outer covering attched to the inner core of the horn.  Most of this just pulled off but where it was attched to the inner core has left a rough almost wire brush texture.  some of it scraped off but not wanting to damage the hard core I quit trying with those methods to get it off and went to this forum as I was advised to do for help with this problem.
Thanks for your answer and perhaps my explanation will help with the horn problem.  I will look further into the foum to see if I can find an appropriate degreasing agent.  Again thanks.

They way i read it there was meat and hair on the INNER CORE being the skull not the horn sheath itself... If thats the case just trim the hair off and pour peroxide inside the sheath and let it foam for an hour and rinse to kill and bacteria and the smell
The Dog
Platinum Member

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 02:36:47 PM »

Hit it with a blow torch, then lightly brush the chared hair and it will be gone.   It's just at the base correct, u just have to burn the hair off, the rest is horn.  Wipe it with half linseed oil half turpentine and the white dry stuff will look better.

bart91939

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 03:33:13 PM »

Thank you so much will go and try it now!
Skull Designs
Gold Member

Skull Designs

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 05:42:41 PM »

Olive oil works better imo, it wont go rancid like linseed will. you still need to degrease the skull before you put any designs on it. the peroxide, no matter how strong wont get all the grease out. it will leech out over time and yellow

Skull Designs
Quality European mounts at a great price
Jeff.
Silver Member

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 06:10:31 PM »

Got it "white" with peroxide 40% horns are off and came off easily.  It is the Exterior of the horn that has the hairlike covering.  As I said most of it came off just by a little pulling and scraping but still has bristle like areas that I am having the problem with.  Again it is the loose horns exterior that I wish to clean properly and remove this hairy/bristly stuff.

You got a pretty good attitude for a know-it-all, man. Good luck to you.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Sacramento Skull Works
Wholesale work welcomed
Sacramento Skull Works on Facebook!
bart91939

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 08:26:24 PM »

Thank you for your comments.  Wish I did know-it-all.  That is why I decided to ask for help on this forum.  I was referred to it by a taxidermist who unfortunatly didn't have any answer for me on the problem I was having.  I will keep on learning and really do want to complete my project in the best and most proper way possible.  I did try the blowtorch method and it did help with some removal but it looks like wet sanding on lapidary equipment may also be a resonable solution.  I appreciate all of your help.
Great Skulls?
Gold Member

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 08:43:41 AM »

I think the problem is: There is no such thing as a hair covering on horns!  That's why we are all confused.  What you are looking at is the horn itself.  Horns are essentially made of hair (as are hooves and nails, etc.).  Some horns can look pretty bristled - like when people talk about "brooming" on rams.

I THINK what you are looking for is "polishing" the horn.  Do a search on that.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: preparing buffalo (bison) horns after removal from skull « previous next »